Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Went to Marshmallow Park yesterday in the Southern Park Land area.

Nice spot and my son loved it. It did get a bit busy and felt a bit cramped from 10am onwards.

If only there was more availiable land around the fringe of the CBD to build a few more parks like this or expand upon this one and make it bigger.

I guess the acres of dry grass wasteland circling the CBD is more appealing?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Who will pay for the maintenance of the extra premium areas?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I see all your points. For me if there has to be a hotel in this dress circle of Adelaide, then how hard is it to make it look architecturally stunning, instead of it looking like a cover around the front of a stadium? It's a half-thought-out rushed cheap annex with merely 130ish rooms. Yay Adelaide.

It's only 130 of about 800 rooms under construction or planned in Adelaide. Might not be for everyone, but I expect it will be quite a successful venture.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Hotel has John Olsen written all over it... & he is captain dodgy.

He won't even provide either AFL club, who are the main tenants of AO, any details.

If it is such a great plan, why not provide the details?

Edit - beat by relapse

It's none of their business though. They have their contracts to concern themselves with. They shouldn't worry about this because it won't impact their contractual interaction with the SMA in any meaningful way. As a shopping centre tenant you don't get access to the contracts of other tenants.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Development in the city means more rate income.

So they charge their ratepayers more so that the rest of SA can enjoy more parks at their expense. Do you think that's fair? Ratepayers already foot a $700k bill for the aquatic centre that is apparently used by only 7% of us. If you want more development in the park lands so that people can roll in from wherever, then the state government needs to pay its share for that amenity.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
So they charge their ratepayers more so that the rest of SA can enjoy more parks at their expense. Do you think that's fair? Ratepayers already foot a $700k bill for the aquatic centre that is apparently used by only 7% of us. If you want more development in the park lands so that people can roll in from wherever, then the state government needs to pay its share for that amenity.
Yeah some State funding as well.

And yes it is fair. I work in the city and spend money in the city. There are thousands of South Australians just like me.

Owning property within the ACC region is not the only way to contribute to rates.

The City is for all South Australians. Not just direct ratepayers.

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide

And yes it is fair. I work in the city and spend money in the city. There are thousands of South Australians just like me.

Owning property within the ACC region is not the only way to contribute to rates.

This is why I think the parklands to the north of North Adelaide like where the Aquatics center is will one day be rezoned so that the only protected parklands is around the CBD so the Gov can afford to keep it well maintained and treated like it is the state's garden.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
What is the club after and why? I guess thats the question I ask myself. Is this going to be a full blown venture with training facilities AND a dining/club area to suit 200-500 fans that may venture along after a game and maybe dinner once a week?

I understand West Lakes is nearly dead and other alternatives need to be explored. But why is a city training base a need? Can the club utilise West Beach Baseball grounds to train at and buy the Squatters Arms for club functions and dinners etc?

Thats my favourite alternative. I just see the multi-millions of dollars for a facility that has to be renewed in 30 years .

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What is the club after and why? I guess thats the question I ask myself. Is this going to be a full blown venture with training facilities AND a dining/club area to suit 200-500 fans that may venture along after a game and maybe dinner once a week?

I understand West Lakes is nearly dead and other alternatives need to be explored. But why is a city training base a need? Can the club utilise West Beach Baseball grounds to train at and buy the Squatters Arms for club functions and dinners etc?

Thats my favourite alternative. I just see the multi-millions of dollars for a facility that has to be renewed in 30 years .
Yeah I still think West Beach is better.

At least economically.

Lots of land/space and less headaches around a refurbishment of the Aquatic Centre as well as making any changes to the Park Lands.

A vocal minority still wants a replacement for the shed as a post game facility, as the club unwisely promised when we left Football Park.

I'd hazard a guess that it's majority older fans, because anyone in their 30s, hell even 40s, or younger is more than happy to disappear into the eating, drinking, and partying establishments of North Adelaide and North Tce/Hindley/Rundle post game. I think that minority needs to come to terms with an hour in the Magarey Room post game being the best replacement they're going to get.

It's none of their business though. They have their contracts to concern themselves with. They shouldn't worry about this because it won't impact their contractual interaction with the SMA in any meaningful way. As a shopping centre tenant you don't get access to the contracts of other tenants.
But it can influence what the AFL teams earn from playing at Adelaide Oval... particularly if it loses money.

My ticket prices have gone up significantly whilst at Adelaide Oval. Far, far more than CPI. Why? Certainly not to lessen catering prices

Both Port and the Crows want a representative on the SMA board and they fight it like crazy. I wonder why that would be?
Because the SMA are not transparent. If they were, it wouldn't be an issue

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
A vocal minority still wants a replacement for the shed as a post game facility, as the club unwisely promised when we left Football Park.

I'd hazard a guess that it's majority older fans, because anyone in their 30s, hell even 40s, or younger is more than happy to disappear into the eating, drinking, and partying establishments of North Adelaide and North Tce/Hindley/Rundle post game. I think that minority needs to come to terms with an hour in the Magarey Room post game being the best replacement they're going to get.

If those people in their 30s or 40s have kids they would probably prefer a shed to the bars. There are a lot of families that go to the football, it's not just a reason for people to get drunk.

If those people in their 30s or 40s have kids they would probably prefer a shed to the bars. There are a lot of families that go to the football, it's not just a reason for people to get drunk.

I can tell you from experience that if those people have kids with them, they're not going to either, and are heading back to the car/bus/train/tram as soon as the game ends to go home.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

I don't get it.
The Magarey Room serves this purpose now. It us a good after March function place if that is what you want.

I could not think of anything worse for the players to do their rehab then whizz down to the Clubrooms in North Adelaide on the Monorail to say hello to supporters after a game.

The old Shed days are gone. Even the new one at West Lakes wasnt as good once the players were merely presented on stage and stopped mingling among the crowd in the last two or so years there.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

And the dumb thing? This solution works perfectly well for the after-game stuff. It's people that have a suburban club mentality and want us to invest in a white-elephant clubrooms

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

The Crows promised it because the SMA guaranteed they'd produce an equal replacement for us. The SMA then went "here's the Magarey Room" and didn't consider actually keeping their deal.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Crows promised it because the SMA guaranteed they'd produce an equal replacement for us. The SMA then went "here's the Magarey Room" and didn't consider actually keeping their deal.
What is wrong with the Magarey Room for that purpose?
They also gave us that indoor cricket training facility for this purpose. We didn't like it.

The issues of the "Shed Replacement" and Port's "Game Day Village" are small fry compared to the damming situation of not having a seat in the SMA board to protect our interests.

Seeing the SMA and State Government blindside both clubs with this hotel without discussing any potential financial exposure we have to this venture would not have happened if we rightfully had a seat on the board that runs the venue we play in and are the main generators of revenue for.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Seriously the vocal minority/silent majority thing has jumped the shark.

I'd hazard a guess you wouldn't have a clue to who wants what.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

The city is for everyone that pays for it. Roll into a gin bar and you pay the rates cost in the price of your drink. No problem there. Expect ratepayers to develop more parks and then maintain them because “the city is for all” is pure bullshit. If it’s “for all”, then it’s a state government issue, not the Adelaide City Council. Their concern is with their ratepayers, not anyone else.

Maybe I’ll try and close one of your local parks to put my horse on it. Just get another park, it’s no big deal. Your suburb is for everyone.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
But it can influence what the AFL teams earn from playing at Adelaide Oval... particularly if it loses money.

My ticket prices have gone up significantly whilst at Adelaide Oval. Far, far more than CPI. Why? Certainly not to lessen catering prices

Our club charges our membership prices, not the SMA. They signed up to the deal, the SMA doesn’t set those prices, except with regard to their negotiation skills against the clubs. If the SMA get a sweet interest rate deal and then have a competitive advantage due to no rates, then that ultimately benefits them and based upon your concern, us. If it’s a complete lemon, which is unlikely, given the amount of rooms being built in the city, and the lessened cost base, it won’t matter. Our returns will not be incumbent upon their overall financial performance. The pressure goes the other way. They didn’t have to renegotiate the original deal but pressure forced it. They’re being offered this opportunity to avoid pressure on the clubs. It will be a very succesful hotel, nothing is more certain.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Government (Federal and State) AFL, SANFL all move heaven and earth to make peace after 40 years with the SACA . In recognition the SACA debt is wiped and everybody is back on an even footing

Then a hotel gets built

The hotel will be a huge success. Attached to the most iconic stadium in the country and in a brilliant spot to access the heart of the city. 140 rooms is a perfect scale. No doubt competitors are applying lots of pressure. And with good reason. This will work and work very, very well.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
The city is for everyone that pays for it. Roll into a gin bar and you pay the rates cost in the price of your drink. No problem there. Expect ratepayers to develop more parks and then maintain them because “the city is for all” is pure bullshit. If it’s “for all”, then it’s a state government issue, not the Adelaide City Council. Their concern is with their ratepayers, not anyone else.

Maybe I’ll try and close one of your local parks to put my horse on it. Just get another park, it’s no big deal. Your suburb is for everyone.

It is a state government problem and you are right it should be funded as such.

North Adelaide should be sent to whatever council directly north and the city stand alone amd ceremonial.

The State Government has removed planning rights because the council has been world class.

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
What is wrong with the Magarey Room for that purpose?
They also gave us that indoor cricket training facility for this purpose. We didn't like it.

The issues of the "Shed Replacement" and Port's "Game Day Village" are small fry compared to the damming situation of not having a seat in the SMA board to protect our interests.

Seeing the SMA and State Government blindside both clubs with this hotel without discussing any potential financial exposure we have to this venture would not have happened if we rightfully had a seat on the board that runs the venue we play in and are the main generators of revenue for.

The indoor cricket centre would have been an absolute nightmare to get into post match as it’s in the same spot where the stairs connecting the Southern and Western Grandstands are. The Magarey Room is perfect for post match preso’s if that’s your thing.
The dynamic pre and post game has completely changed since the move to AO. If you want to eat or drink there are many choices being in the CBD plus the many public transport options, just like in Melbourne. It’s not Footy Park anymore where your limited food choices where a BBQ in the car park, Maccas, HJs or the Westfield food court if the shopping centre was open and nearly everyone drove there!
A new facility at the Aquatic Centre site aim would be maximum usage for the 9-5 five-day working week via cafe, merchandise, facility tours, hosting events etc. Post match functions there would be pointless as you’re taking fans further away from the public transport they catch. Families and the older fans won’t go, the under 35’s who go with their friends will hit the city which leaves only the absolute die-hards that would go, again pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Back