Banter Preseason general discussion - The Reigning Premiers Edition

Everyone looks better with a bit of bling on the neck.

It is science.

Got to say if your the giver it’s very hard to beat the look of a women with a brand new Pearl Necklace around her neck.

Does anyone (eg Keys ) have the inside word on when the intraclub will be played on Friday? I’m assuming it’s at Lathlain.

I have no idea

There’s an open training session at subi on Thursday that I’ll go to and I just saw on Twitter that they’re training at Optus today.

Been a while since they’ve been at Lathlain so a possibility that construction is preventing them training there - there were light towers lying around the ground previously, maybe they’ve had to stay away while they get put up

eagles_4_life

Team Captain
May 15, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I have no idea

There’s an open training session at subi on Thursday that I’ll go to and I just saw on Twitter that they’re training at Optus today.

Been a while since they’ve been at Lathlain so a possibility that construction is preventing them training there - there were light towers lying around the ground previously, maybe they’ve had to stay away while they get put up
Live nearby think all the towers are up now. Perth still training there but it's possible access to the other oval is limited

I have no idea

Yep apparently the light towers were put up in the last week or so.

Wasn’t behind closed doors? Or are you involved at the club now? Are you sleeping with the hot trainer?
It was at Lathlain where they can’t lock doors. Took a punt and headed down there in the hope that’s where they’d play aided by an informed tip off that Lathlain was it

Art OF war

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
It was at Lathlain where they can’t lock doors. Took a punt and headed down there in the hope that’s where they’d play aided by an informed tip off that Lathlain was it
You're stalkerish ways remind me of this guy:

But I
john-meehan-1542315779.jpg
look forward to the fruits of your labour.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
With no concrete information as to the location of todays training/ match sim I decided I’d head to Lathlain on the off chance it’d be there mainly because the other possibilities (subi or Optus) you can’t just walk into like Lathlain. Fortunately I was in luck and even got there early as the players weren’t out on the ground and the training staff were still setting up

The 4 light towers around the MCG are all up but only 2 of the 4 for the main oval are complete. They were erecting one between the new facilities and the old grandstand this morning. Consequently training was held on the G with rehab players using the northern half of the main oval. Going to be watching this in full sun as a handful of reporters took up camp in the small bit of shade offered by the bar on the hill between the two ovals

As mentioned earlier it was a full scale intraclub but rather a match sim of 2 x 30 minute halves. Some of the WAFL top up players (~10) were used to allow for an 18 a side game with reserves for rotations. There was a good hour or so of solid training before the sim so unlike yesterday’s session the players were made to work in reasonably warm conditions.

Anyways :

• The usual stretches first before breaking into their kick to kick part of the warmup
• Yeo and Venables peeled off from the main group straight away to do laps with Riach who still has a cast of some sort on his forearm
• Top ups on different jumpers to start with making it easier to differentiate which is handy
• Edwards and Cameron walking laps breaking into the occasional jog. They spent the whole session doing low scale rehab work.
• Yeo and venners now back with the main group for goal kicking practice
• Players split into line groups for some skills work.
• Forwards closest to me practicing smothering a kick from defence. Mids working on stoppages. Backs too far away to see what they’re doing
• Cripps moving freely
• Ditto jk
• Lol at glam news reporter phoning camera man from 10m away because she didn’t want to move from the shade into the sun where he was set up
• Shepp with a small bandage just above right knee but no signs that it’s affecting him
• Almost full length of field drill working on moving ball from a half back stoppage to the forward line. Venables playing as a witches hat with the top up players providing token pressure on the ball carrier and receiver.
• Grey playing with normal eagles in this drill which I found interesting
• Brayshaw separated from main group doing not much. Roving a few low intensity ruck knocks from nicnat
• Schofield running laps. Rule him out for round 1
• Players split into two groups now based on a and b team lineups to do further skills work
• No JK for these and Williams also sitting out
• Yeo and Venables away from main group again
• Game time - A team forwards (Kennedy, Darling, Oallen, Petruccelle, Rioli and Ryan) coming to end closest to me. First choice defenders going to play against them. This should be fun.
• Other end is B team forwards and backs as far as I can tell. Mids look an even split
• Masten knocks smith to ground after the newbie marks on the lead in front of him. Umpire calls a 50m penalty
• Brooksby takes a strong mark close to goal and slots it
• Gov takes a nice intercept mark in defence but a poor pass results in a turnover and a goal to brander
• Vozzo spots the news crews and doesn’t seem happy about it. Within 5 minutes the cameras are off and on their way out of the ground
•Williams takes a good pack mark and goals from 50
• Free against Barrass for a push gives Oallen a shot at goal from 30 on a slight angle but he hits the the post
• Redden been busy through the midfield. Had a good day out
• Rioli silk as a high half forward running up the ground. Found plenty of ball and used it well. Looks primed for a big year
• Ainsworth getting his hands on the ball nicely. Bit of a tendency to dump kick it forward though when in close - may be a team instruction
• Mutimer lively across half back. Looks better than I’ve seen for a long time from him
• After the initial 50 to Smith, Masten has been good getting the better of that duel
• Oallen marks on goal line and kicks a round the corner goal
• Nice pass from Mallen to Oallen. Another goal
• Cripps, Exxon and foley sitting out second half obviously on managed minutes
• McInnes now at full back on Allen
• Barrass marks a kick in just outside 50 and passes to Darling inside 50 for a goal
• Gaff seems rusty
• Brayshaw getting some minutes and a little bit of the footy
• Oallen taking the ruck contest inside 50
• Mutimer backs himself with a running bounce put of d50 getting himself into and then out of trouble. Well done and ends with Williams marking on the lead but he misses from 50
• Petch takes off down the wing into F50. His pace is a weapon and results in a goal to Vardy
• Hickey rag dolling bines in the ruck
• Nice crumb by Brander but s**t snap at goal. Gets marked by Darling though and he hands it off to willie for a trademark loping Rioli goal
• Watson intercepts a pass in front of JK who’s not happy about it
•Hutch with a good pass to open space for Ryan to run onto and goal
• Cole been good
• Oallen and Brander starting on the wings for this bounce
• Darling waytoo strong for Rotham in a marking contest. He’s looking set to build on his last year
• Petch runs down Ainsworth in a strong tackle
• JK running on other oval now and his day is fine. Had been off for a while
• Petch brilliantl knocks on a loose ball into darlings path for an easy goal drawing applause from the coaches. Lock him in for round 1

[FONT=.SFUIText]• And we’re done [/FONT]

In detail, I like it. Thank you for that, Keys.

RanaNaved

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Waterman was ok. Played further up the ground so didn’t get on the scoresheet.

I’d have no concerns if he got a game but I think that Oallen is ahead of him in the pecking order. If JK doesn’t play Waterman would be a chance to play ahead of Brander
Isn't Allen playing the JK role if he doesn't get up?

Brander isn't as good a focal point as OA.

Isn't Allen playing the JK role if he doesn't get up?

Brander isn't as good a focal point as OA.
We need to replace Lecras (definitely), Cripps (probably) and Kennedy (possibly) from our GF side

As I see it Oallen takes Lecras spot as he’s just as mobile and can push up the ground. Petruccelle takes Cripps spot and is arguably ahead of Venables atm

If Kennedy is unavailable I think Oallen gets promoted to 2nd tall and Waterman comes in or Brander plays

We have a good crop of young forwards all champing at the bit for any opportunity and those who miss out are going to be unlucky

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
We need to replace Lecras (definitely), Cripps (probably) and Kennedy (possibly) from our GF side

As I see it Oallen takes Lecras spot as he’s just as mobile and can push up the ground. Petruccelle takes Cripps spot and is arguably ahead of Venables atm

If Kennedy is unavailable I think Oallen gets promoted to 2nd tall and Waterman comes in or Brander plays

We have a good crop of young forwards all champing at the bit for any opportunity and those who miss out are going to be unlucky

What is impressing me is how rapidly they are improving - as recently as August we were still sending McGovern up forward.

No chance of that happening now.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeo not playing due to issues with his teeth, dating back to that game in 2014 when he had his teeth knocked out just before half time. That’s according to the west anyway.

Didn’t want to get a knock today.. thus why he was out.

WCEswift

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Philly Eagles, Boston Red Sox
Playing in the ruck position can be brutal. You don't take an F1 bush-bashing. Ollen is special, let's not put him in the meat tenderizer.
As a former ruckman and uncle of an NGA ruckman, can confirm during the season is all recovery then game no training for us, Not O allens position imo

Back