No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god - THIS.

I wish people would stop using the argument that something is better/more mature/more desirable just because a sports league in the US does it. Or that, if the AFL does not adopt a particular thing that another league does, that somehow it is a 'maturity' thing and people need to 'grow up'. Change is not inherently either bad or good - judge each specific change for what it is for our league/sport, not just so we can imitate another league like mindless sheep.

IMO - I think the lack of independent thought that is so common on these kind of issues (not specifically here, the media is shocking for it too) is the real sign of immaturity and lack of development, not resistance to blindly adopting something just because it is done elsewhere.

Sorry - rant over.

you'd think if anything his diabetes would have been the issue that might curtail his career - the concussions and diabetes can't be linked surely?
Jimmae I think will know more but from my limited reading I don't know if there's a connection that potentially makes someone more susceptible, I do know that the long term outlook of brain injuries in people with diabetes is bad comparatively. We used to be told by the club Dr 4 concussions and you're done. Cant imagine a medical professional giving mccartin a good long term prognosis.
Insulin directs uptake of glucose out of the blood stream and down-regulates fat oxidation, thus disrupting the mix and flow of energy to the brain.

There's plenty of emerging evidence that ketone bodies (a form of energy derived from body fat) have a protective effect on all sorts of brain injury, by better feeding cells and better mediating cell failure and death. If McCartin's insulin levels are not closely controlled and studied in order to better replicate normal levels for his in-game activity, he does remain at a higher risk of concussion because it's a traumatic brain injury that demands energy that not only can be protected through this flow of ketones, but additionally tends to demand glucose due to weakened blood (and thus oxygen) supply at the injured site.

This is me going off the top of my head FYI, I'm not in any of these fields and thus not entirely across all the variables.

TLDR version: injury sites require protection from cell death and more energy, and too high a level of insulin takes too much energy and cell protection away. The brain's metabolic demand is the biggest of them all.

Last edited:
All cricket pitches run North/South so the setting sun has bugger all impact on a ball released from just over head height from one end or the other.

Footballs are kicked from and to every direction at a height where the sun absolutely becomes an issue.

I never knew that batsmen were only allowed to hit the ball in one direction and along the ground.

And I don't understand why the sun is absolutely an issue for a twilight football match in September, when the entire ground is in shade from 5:20 or earlier.

Afternoon games DO have the sun conditions you talk about, and yet the players seem to have managed without burning their eyeballs out for over 100 years.

Again. If you do not favor a twilight game and champion a night game, you need to find a reason other than the sun.

All cricket pitches run North/South so the setting sun has bugger all impact on a ball released from just over head height from one end or the other.

Footballs are kicked from and to every direction at a height where the sun absolutely becomes an issue.
Learnt that a year ago, despite playing cricket from the tender age of 12. Restored my faith in humanity's collective intelligence. Then, I went for a drive and it went plummeting straight back down...

Seems the strongest argument for a later GF is the spectacle of the half time entertainment.

If that's not the most riduculous reason ever, I'm not sure what is.

Any changes should be made solely for the benefit of the game itself, not the gap filler while people are queuing up to take a piss.
Agree. I prefer daytime football generally, and the main arguments for a night/twilight GF that I seem to see relate to entertainment or TV ratings. I think these decisions should be about the football, not the finances of the league. But I know that is a bit of an idealistic viewpoint and that kind of traditionalist thinking doesn't seem to be much of a factor in these kinds of decisions anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never knew that batsmen were only allowed to hit the ball in one direction and along the ground.

You were the one complaining about facing a ball delivered at 150kms an hour with the sun being a factor.

Simply pointed out that it not correct and the reason why.

Not going to chase your moving goal posts.

On the GF, I like the current start time, and arvo footy in general.

I think we've got a fairly unique thing going with the day game, and all of the aspects that come with that. There's a certain vibe, the atmosphere as you walk up to the G through the carpark, sun out (fingers crossed), everything buzzing, it's fantastic.

I also like that you've effectively got the rest of the night after the game, you can still go out for drinks/dinner, head back to a bbq, go home and watch a movie or whatever it is you'd like to do. More post game options is always a good thing

I think we've got a fairly unique thing going with the day game, and all of the aspects that come with that. There's a certain vibe, the atmosphere as you walk up to the G through the carpark, sun out (fingers crossed), everything buzzing, it's fantastic.

I also like that you've effectively got the rest of the night after the game, you can still go out for drinks/dinner, head back to a bbq, go home and watch a movie or whatever it is you'd like to do. More post game options is always a good thing

Can't help but think you get a bit less douche-baggery during daylight hours as well.

If I was taking the family to a footy match, travelling in and out on the train, I'd feel a bit more secure with the sun up. This coming from someone who generally dislikes public transport.

Agree. Day for me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feel for the kid, but not overly surprised, given the standards required to reach AFL minimum fitness levels, something he has never really embraced prior to entering the AFL.

Hope he recovers well and goes on to have a great career
Disagree, feel like if he'd been drafted at the end of 2017, he'd have blazed a trail through the AFL.

It looks like someone got in his head during the 2018 pre-season about what healthy eating and training consists of, and basically undid all of his good work. Went from being a bonafide midfielder to looking like a career half-forward.

I know they've ousted Cordy up there, but whoever replaced him is equally as incompetent, and has only compounded the issue.

I was anti change for the tradition, but am now a little curious how a twilight game would go. Can always be changed back if it's a fizzer.

Can't help but think you get a bit less douche-baggery during daylight hours as well.

If I was taking the family to a footy match, travelling in and out on the train, I'd feel a bit more secure with the sun up. This coming from someone who generally dislikes public transport.

Definitely. Night game gives douches more time to have a skinful at the pub before heading to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back