2019 Rookie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken is big-time hard for Butters.

Has talked him up like the 2nd coming
maxresdefault.jpg

Have seen McHenry in a few teams

But yeah, don't know anything about them two. What roles are they looking at playing?
The high pressure small forward role. Jones the classier option, McHenry the more aggressive contested option. Both came in to the AFL system as elite endurance runners. Jones also has some serious wheels. Is very quick.

I'm a little concerned that Bewley was dropped this week. Surely he's not being managed.
57 points in 51 minutes of game time was pretty impressive last week.

I'm a little concerned that Bewley was dropped this week. Surely he's not being managed.
57 points in 51 minutes of game time was pretty impressive last week.
was only a late in in JLT1 after being overlooked, think he came in once Darcy was pulled out. Extra bad sign, not sure you can plan for him at all.

Have seen McHenry in a few teams

But yeah, don't know anything about them two. What roles are they looking at playing?
McHenry looked a chance but clearly not in calculations having missed out on both JLT games. Will play this year though id expect in a small fwd role with high level pressure.

Jones looks classy. Has improved in each game so far.
Crows basically played 23 tonight (2 coming on in last qtr to round out 25 used). Of those 23, we played 3 KPD - we will only play 2. 1 was Talia returning for 1st game so I think they played all 3 so they could manage his minutes as well as a audition the other 2 head to head for 1 position. So outside that it was our 22.

Greenwood the only player missing who you'd expect to come in in early rounds. Possibly MacKay but most hope and expect not.

He will play as small pressure forward but who has classy ball use from what ive seen. Just not sure he is worth the price tag for expected output 60 tonight from 70% probably a fair indicator of what to hope for, 50-65 most weeks id guess, averaging in that mid 50s. Its a fair chunk to pay for that but he has to be in consideration.

Itd be weighing him up against butters, Hateley and Smith. you can prob have 1-2 of that group max (plus Walsh). Its a hard group to make a call on IMO. Based on tonight he perhaps showed more than Hately, but he showed more last week and has likely a better role (? similarly reasonable potential for JS). Butters and Smith we will find out more soon enough...

We have a plethora of defensive rooks but very few forwards who are putting their hand up atm.
Setterfield
Drew
Burgess if deep down back

Balta?
Parker?
Petrucelle?
Parker seems like he has a pressure forward role lined up, but won't score that great

Setterfield
Drew
Burgess if deep down back

Balta?
Parker?
Petrucelle?
Parker seems like he has a pressure forward role lined up, but won't score that great
A lot of forwards look like they won't score well. I had rolled Rozee forward but even he looks to have question marks on his scoring ability.

Anyone done a list by positions as to the best chance rookies to play round 1?

Anyone done a list by positions as to the best chance rookies to play round 1?
DT talk normally releases a rookies list before round 1

But I'd say with good job security

DEF
Collins
Burgess
Clark

MID
Walsh
Butters
Constable
Atkins
Jones
Gibbons

FWD
Setterfield
Parker
Burgess again being DPP

Maybes/probables
DEF
Duursma
Scrimshaw
Quaynor

MID
Hately
Hayes
Caldwell
B Smith

FWD
Drew
Balta
Petrucelle

Unlikelys/early downgrade rookies
DEF
Hore (though he played 2 JLTs, so perhaps more on the maybe side, but Dees defence is packed)

MID
Scott
Bewley

FWD
Cavarra
McHenry

Might've forgot a couple, but they're the main ones I think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Real lottery with some of these rookie picks

many have shown real ability to go 30s-40s.

Especially up fwd its going to be pure luck getting the best of guys like Balta/ Petreculle / Burgess / Parker , most teams will prob need 2 of these on the bench.

Then in mids comparing say Cousins (not rookie but in that conversation), Butters, Atkins, Hind, Gibbons etc is hard due to price variation.
Cousins should score highest but priced at around 40 he needs to beat a Gibbons/Atkins type by about 25 or a Butters by 14.
Butters needs to beat Atkins/Gibbons by around 10.

very hard trying to prioritise what way to go as I can rank who I think will score more but it gets very tight once accounting for price.

Im leaving to the more expensive guys currently.

Also, Gibbons most people would have thrown away the key, im not so sure he is a must have now

The rookie cupboard is starting to look pretty bare.

Even some of the safer bets are looking dicey. I've got major queries on Drew as a viable option, because he is likely to go out for Wines within the first couple of rounds. There's some talk of Wines getting up for round one, so maybe that would be better than being suckered in.

Probably the only way Drew survives the Wines return is if Duursma goes out. I like Duursma but personally don't think he's totally ready for the senior team and could see Mayes replacing him if he looks overwhelmed. We have a tough start so hopefully Ken sticks with him, and he probably is one of the better coaches for giving rookies a good crack.

Ken will definitely stick with Butters, and I think he will score ok if he is allowed to drift up on the wing as well. But a bit stiff paying up for a premium mid rookie if he gets stuck playing strictly as a small forward, a role he looked primed for in JLT2.

Scott looked amazing in JLT but we know that his coach is not quite as generous as Ken. Ditto for Bewley but we didn't even really get a look at him. Cousins I put in this bracket too, could definitely see him being turfed when Sheils and Wingard come back in. You'd really want solid JS if you are paying $289k. Scrimshaw is also at Clarko's mercy.

Gibbons doesn't excite from a scoring perspective, but at this point I think we are taking anyone <200k who is named. Only thing is, he might be left out in favour of Polson, who is definitely too expensive for his role.

Depending on who you ask, Clark, Constable, Miers and Atkins are all in line for debuts, but probably only 2 of them max. Hopefully the first two from a fantasy perspective.

One of Hately or Caldwell might sneak a bench spot, but they are competing with Bonar and even then, it seems whoever is picked will drop out for Ward by round 5. Is two price rises enough?

Hore, Balta, McKay, Burgess, Petrol and Parker all look like last resorts if they are named... the types you'd usually want max one or two of in your squad, with no scoring prospects and a fair chance of becoming treestumps by round 3.

Who else is there?
Walsh: big tick, but you'll pay >200k
Setterfield: tick, but you'll pay >200k
Collins: poor role, and you'll pay 200k

Best case scenario:
- you pick those three on field + Butters,

- Duursma, Clark, Constable, Scrimshaw, and Scott are named

- throw in Petrol, Burgess, Parker and Gibbons and hope none of them die in the arse in a few weeks.

Even then you are beholden to Clarkson and the Scott brothers to keep picking their kids. Very grim stuff.

Most of my views are based off BF club board best 22 threads, where you generally find supporters are overgenerous in picking youth for round 1.

The rookie cupboard is starting to look pretty bare.

Even some of the safer bets are looking dicey. I've got major queries on Drew as a viable option, because he is likely to go out for Wines within the first couple of rounds. There's some talk of Wines getting up for round one, so maybe that would be better than being suckered in.

Probably the only way Drew survives the Wines return is if Duursma goes out. I like Duursma but personally don't think he's totally ready for the senior team and could see Mayes replacing him if he looks overwhelmed. We have a tough start so hopefully Ken sticks with him, and he probably is one of the better coaches for giving rookies a good crack.

Ken will definitely stick with Butters, and I think he will score ok if he is allowed to drift up on the wing as well. But a bit stiff paying up for a premium mid rookie if he gets stuck playing strictly as a small forward, a role he looked primed for in JLT2.

Scott looked amazing in JLT but we know that his coach is not quite as generous as Ken. Ditto for Bewley but we didn't even really get a look at him. Cousins I put in this bracket too, could definitely see him being turfed when Sheils and Wingard come back in. You'd really want solid JS if you are paying $289k. Scrimshaw is also at Clarko's mercy.

Gibbons doesn't excite from a scoring perspective, but at this point I think we are taking anyone <200k who is named. Only thing is, he might be left out in favour of Polson, who is definitely too expensive for his role.

Depending on who you ask, Clark, Constable, Miers and Atkins are all in line for debuts, but probably only 2 of them max. Hopefully the first two from a fantasy perspective.

One of Hately or Caldwell might sneak a bench spot, but they are competing with Bonar and even then, it seems whoever is picked will drop out for Ward by round 5. Is two price rises enough?

Hore, Balta, McKay, Burgess, Petrol and Parker all look like last resorts if they are named... the types you'd usually want max one or two of in your squad, with no scoring prospects and a fair chance of becoming treestumps by round 3.

Who else is there?
Walsh: big tick, but you'll pay >200k
Setterfield: tick, but you'll pay >200k
Collins: poor role, and you'll pay 200k

Best case scenario:
- you pick those three on field + Butters,

- Duursma, Clark, Constable, Scrimshaw, and Scott are named

- throw in Petrol, Burgess, Parker and Gibbons and hope none of them die in the arse in a few weeks.

Even then you are beholden to Clarkson and the Scott brothers to keep picking their kids. Very grim stuff.

Most of my views are based off BF club board best 22 threads, where you generally find supporters are overgenerous in picking youth for round 1.
Good write up. I was concerned about Drew with Ollie coming back, but thought Duursma had a bit better JS than he obviously does. Thanks for the insight. It will be interesting if there are minimal rookies to take as in recent years there has been a plethora to choose from, what mattered was choosing the high scoring ones.

Good write up. I was concerned about Drew with Ollie coming back, but thought Duursma had a bit better JS than he obviously does. Thanks for the insight. It will be interesting if there are minimal rookies to take as in recent years there has been a plethora to choose from, what mattered was choosing the high scoring ones.
It's interesting because Ken can be very loyal to a kid if he's performing. A couple of years ago everyone was sure Houston would be dropped for Pittard after 1 or 2 rounds so hardly anyone picked him. He proceeded to kill it and be one of the best starting rookies.

Petrucelle will play round 1 for the Eagles barring something unforeseen happening, but he'll probably average 50-odd at best. His scoring in the WAFL did improve as the season went on but I can't see that entirely transferring to the AFL. Think probably around the numbers that Venables was getting last year.

Petrucelle will play round 1 for the Eagles barring something unforeseen happening, but he'll probably average 50-odd at best. His scoring in the WAFL did improve as the season went on but I can't see that entirely transferring to the AFL. Think probably around the numbers that Venables was getting last year.
It's starting to look like any rookie actually playing is a GOOD one. Don't know where we are going to get our cash from this year.

It's starting to look like any rookie actually playing is a GOOD one. Don't know where we are going to get our cash from this year.
Obviously McCarthy an expensive option now, but what about Darcy Moore at an even 300k?

Popular in Supercoach at the moment as he's 239k there and people are struggling for a D4/F4 as their cash is going to midfield plus Gawndy, but his DPP could be handy with Burgess for a swing

Obviously McCarthy an expensive option now, but what about Darcy Moore at an even 300k?

Popular in Supercoach at the moment as he's 239k there and people are struggling for a D4/F4 as their cash is going to midfield plus Gawndy, but his DPP could be handy with Burgess for a swing
This is a very interesting option. I think he will average a price to bump him up to around 450k......worth considering

Remove this Banner Ad

Back