Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This might be oversimplifying things though I believe our problems are ...

- our best ball winners don't hurt the opposition with their disposal yet (Macrae, Hunter, McClean, Dunkley, Wallis ...)
- our best ball users, don't find the ball often enough yet (Richards, Webb, Dale, Lipinski ...)
- our talls have not developed (yet) in the usual upwards trajectory (Schache, Boyd, Young ...)

There are some exceptions, Bont, Libba and Naughton. I am a little indecisive re: Daniel, Williams and English, due to inconsistency.

This might be oversimplifying things though I believe our problems are ...

- our best ball winners don't hurt the opposition with their disposal yet (Macrae, Hunter, McClean, Dunkley, Wallis ...)
- our best ball users, don't find the ball often enough yet (Richards, Webb, Dale, Lipinski ...)
- our talls have not developed (yet) in the usual upwards trajectory (Schache, Boyd, Young ...)

There are some exceptions, Bont, Libba and Naughton. I am a little indecisive re: Daniel, Williams and English, due to inconsistency.

You're forgetting our biggest problem by far

Luk bevidge killed our team

You're forgetting our biggest problem by far

Luk bevidge killed our team

My hunch is that a certain Essendon forward might have had a hand in our downward trajectory.
I think the opposite - our team is being regenerated. If Beveridge were so poor, our coaches would have walked by now (and more players).

Dahlhaus stringer Biggs hambling Adams Dalrymple Montgomery what more evidence do you need?

Wallis, Bontempelli, Hunter, JJ, Macrae, McClean, Richards ... signing extensions.
You have named 2 players who (Dahlhaus, Stringer) impact us culturally (not sure positively). Biggs (retired), Adams (injured) and Hamling (go home) ... not really the same.

Congrats on the 5 year extension Hunter! :)

Also you cant stick Richards in the that 2nd point. He's only in his 2nd year and it hasn't properly started yet. Lipinski is a bit of a worry. He's just not showing enough yet, but he might just take a little longer or he might be better tried as a defender than a forward.

We need forward half killers. Like Wingard. Like Gray. Like Breust. Like Rioli. Like de goey.

Guys that cut through the massive numbers that crowd forward lines and find the sticks.

Sam lloyd is the right type. Just in the wrong class bracket (he’s a great/cheap pick-up. Laughing at all the blow ups from when we acquired him).

We need forward half class so so desperately. No more solid mids. No more speculative or B grade talls.

I'd keep Williams and trade Dunkley. His average disposal kills us. Why are we talking about another KPP when Lewis Young languishes in the seconds?
Lewis Young isn't ready - even Lachie Young we just drafted is only a couple of months younger than him. People forget he's still a baby in development terms. Next cab off the rank would be Roberts, not Young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need forward half killers. Like Wingard. Like Gray. Like Breust. Like Rioli. Like de goey.

Guys that cut through the massive numbers that crowd forward lines and find the sticks.

Sam lloyd is the right type. Just in the wrong class bracket (he’s a great/cheap pick-up. Laughing at all the blow ups from when we acquired him).

We need forward half class so so desperately. No more solid mids. No more speculative or B grade talls.
Wingard could have been that if he chose us. Although hearing all the negative reports from Hawks/Port fans about his attitude, it makes me think he would have just been another Stringer/Dahl so probably was for the best

Still feel that Stringer just gave the rest of the team so much confidence, even when he wasn't playing well. Anything could happen when we got the ball forward.

Still feel that Stringer just gave the rest of the team so much confidence, even when he wasn't playing well. Anything could happen when we got the ball forward.
He did when firing, but no point dwelling on the past. Stringer was never staying at the club after 2017, and that was completely of his own doing

Luke bevidge will kill our team before he buys a good forward player

Jack Martin is who I would be targeting. We were interested when he was 17 but weren't connected last year when the Bombers were apparently circling. Can play taller as well as being that clean ground ball player.

But honestly I'm not sure coming to the dogs would be a good career move.

Jack Martin is who I would be targeting. We were interested when he was 17 but weren't connected last year when the Bombers were apparently circling. Can play taller as well as being that clean ground ball player.

But honestly I'm not sure coming to the dogs would be a good career move.
That's a really good suggestion actually. Having him and Lloyd on our half forward flanks would make our forward line dramatically better than 2018. Although the idea of recruiting an indigenous player seems almost impossible for us given our lack of them in the first place (although Trengove has been pretty involved with the community over his career so that helps).

I'd be happy to trade for him (provided he wanted to come here) even if it involved our first rounder this year. He's a durable player, extremely quick and consistently high performer with X-factor which is something we desperately need.

Ah Chee from Gold Coast
James Rose fron Sydney (into him last year)
Id also throw a decent offer at Weitering this year if he under performs which i hope he does.

Theres a few of my early suggestions.

Ah Chee from Gold Coast
James Rose fron Sydney (into him last year)
Id also throw a decent offer at Weitering this year if he under performs which i hope he does.

Theres a few of my early suggestions.
I'd love to take a look at Weitering too, but I feel he's on track for a breakout this year. Would cost us too, unless he had an absolutely awful year, in which case it may be too risky for us in the first place

Picko has been a massive loss. Dickson, Picken, Smith and McLean were 4 half fwd,fwd pocket goal scoring regulars through our successful 2016 finals series.

Only McLean has played any regular footy for us since then and mainly as a mid but he always seemed to me to be a candidate for that classy half fwd role if it were assigned to him. It's difficult to stockpile/keep classy players. More than 2 on any line is a luxury. It would be nice for a Picken type player of a finals series to emerge from within our existing ranks. It's always possible.

Picko has been a massive loss. Dickson, Picken, Smith and McLean were 4 half fwd,fwd pocket goal scoring regulars through our successful 2016 finals series.

Only McLean has played any regular footy for us since then and mainly as a mid but he always seemed to me to be a candidate for that classy half fwd role if it were assigned to him. It's difficult to stockpile/keep classy players. More than 2 on any line is a luxury. It would be nice for a Picken type player of a finals series to emerge from within our existing ranks. It's always possible.

From our 2016 finals series:

Dickson - 10
Picken - 8
Smith - 8
Stringer - 5
Bont - 4
Dunkley - 3
Daniel - 3
Cordy - 3
Boyd - 3
Roughie - 2
McLean - 2
Wood - 1
Dahl - 1
Hunter - 1
Liberatore - 1
Macrae - 1

Out of the 56 goals scored across the campaign, 40 goals by players still at the club. 18 goals scored by players that play regularly (due to a variety of issues), 7 of those were by people now in defensive positions.

So we have had our output reduced from 56 goals over 4 weeks to 11 goals - I wonder why we have a problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back