Round 1 Vs Sydney GAMEDAY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kicks like someone transitioning from another sport - not very well.

So this would make it more likely that he plays an inside midfield role wouldn't it? No point having him up forward if he can mark but can't convert goals, and no point playing him as an outside mid because he would likely need to kick it often, inside mid he'd only need to dish out handballs, win the footy and tackle, all the things he is best at?

Does any of that make sense or have i got it completely wrong?

I hope that Cordy fwd is on the table at MC for round 1. Even if they don't run with it as long as they haven't discounted it completely.

As much as it would be great to have naughton fwd, there's no way I'd be moving him from the back personally when we're actually playing for points.

Cordy can do a job for us early stages of the season even if that job is primarily a physical presence with the capacity to mark. Even if conversion is 50/50 he can't be ignored by the opposition and will look to impact physically when he doesn't have the ball.

Naughton down back with Wood, Morris and Crozier also having the capacity to intercept and be the third man would be enough. I'd throw Williams back there too if Cordy moved fwd.

Sometimes you just need a bloke to do a job. Might be a short term thing, maybe medium term, whatever, someone has to do it. Cordy and Williams are it for me in this scenario until JJ gets back and we find a CHF alternative that isn't Bont. Prefer Schache roaming far and wide.

At the stage where we just have to play Naughton forward to help Schache.

Morris, Cordy, Wood, Williams as the tall/ medium defenders should be enough.

Dickson just got to be back in this team at some stage. He should play round 1 as well.

The problem with Naughton forward it throws the balance of the team out, you have Cordy playing on the best forwards who he’s not always suited to, Morris playing as the second key defender who I don’t think is capable of doing so anymore and Wood playing on the third tall which impedes his ability to come third man in. It also means you play English and Trengove which leaves the forward line too top heavy or play one of them with Shache in the ruck, which is going to really hurt this year with centre clearances being of more value.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

At the stage where we just have to play Naughton forward to help Schache.

Morris, Cordy, Wood, Williams as the tall/ medium defenders should be enough.

Dickson just got to be back in this team at some stage. He should play round 1 as well.

Yeah I don't mind this. Gives Woody the opportunity to find some much needed form too. If he can get back to close to his best as a rebound intercepting half back, we have the luxury of not relying too heavily on Naughton.

Trengove wasn't great in defence last year but if he could play on the best forward, Cordy on the second, Morris on the third and let Wood intercept it would probably help the cohesion down back. Just means we have to accept players like Buddy and Hawkins will kick bags on us but they were doing that anyway. Then when English needs a spell we send Naughton down back so he can get a few minutes of development and Trengove rucks.

Moving your KPB forward to pinch hit completely changes your structure and set up. It’s a desperate, bad coaching move imo.

As I said weeks ago move Cordy forward or use English as bear on the square and allow Schache to get on the move.

Set the backline up and keep in consistent.

Last edited:
I wanna see more English ‘Bear in the Square’ as MD put it. He will have his arms chopped at most marking contests if the ball delivered high enough.
I thought i did too and im sure he looked great in preseason drills but he looks unable to even hold his ground in a contest up forward right now to be completely honest.

I love the kid and think he'll be a star but i cant justify wasting a spot on him right now unless hes our first ruckman.

I think we have to play English & Trengove when the opposition has 2 genuine rucks. We can't have midfielders contesting the ruck anymore, it's a joke.

English can start in the ruck & send Trengove to follow the oppositions second ruck (If they don't have one, maybe just play the 1 ruck). He's decent enough defender to half the contest when they're forward & is competitive when they move into the ruck, giving English a chop out.

Daniel cannot be a starting 6 defender. He will get caught out way too many times from quick entries.

If Bev is serious about Naughton up forward, which I like as it actually gives us some aerial presence, he needs to leave him there all year.

Let the kid get settled. Chopping him back & forth will only hurt his development. Could be a 40+ goal / year forward I think if given continuity.

Get Dickson in the team asap. See if he's still got it.

Greene looks one of our few natural forwards and can repeatedly get it on the lead.

If Lloyd, Dickson & Greene could gel we could suddenly have a half decent combination of medium forwards for the mids to lower their eyes for. All good set shots too.

Why is Suckling tagging up forward? He's one of our better kicks & he's quick off the mark. He should be taking off from most kick ins, gaining 15 metres and launching it over teams that press up high to get us going in attack asap.

FWIW I don't think Smith did enough to warrant a Rd 1 position. Let him spend 3 - 4 weeks in the VFL getting adjusted & if he's knocking the door down give him a run. No need to throw him to the wolves.

My Round 1 team would be something like this:

Wood Trengove Crozier
Morris Cordy Suckling
Hunter Libba McLean
Lloyd Schache Greene
Dickson Naughton Wallis

English Bont Macrae

IC: Williams, Gowers, Richards, Daniel

I've probably missed a few, but close enough.

I like a lot here were unsure how we would go this season before JLT. I am hoping JLT is for Just a Little Teaser because we did not want to show our hand. However, as meaningless as result is I must admit I have lost a little confidence for the below reasons.

Ruck could be a real problem.
Forward line looks hit and miss.
Back line needs more key position strength.

Our one wood is our midfield but there are lot of good midfields. I think a lot depends on the Bont, Jacko and Libba having stellar seasons.

Trengove wasn't great in defence last year but if he could play on the best forward, Cordy on the second, Morris on the third and let Wood intercept it would probably help the cohesion down back. Just means we have to accept players like Buddy and Hawkins will kick bags on us but they were doing that anyway. Then when English needs a spell we send Naughton down back so he can get a few minutes of development and Trengove rucks.

Trengove on the oppositions best forward would means that forward probably kicks 6+ against us every week. No thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Trengove forward an option?

How has it happened that we go into Round 1 with a massive hole in our forward line? Didn’t anyone see this coming months ago?

According to the AFL article about Sydney filling a list spot vacancy, Buddy is out for round 1? Any truth to this? It seemed pretty definitive.

Link: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-12/swans-fill-final-list-spot-with-south-australian-big-man

With Lance Franklin (groin) and Sam Naismith (knee) to miss round one and Darcy Cameron (knee) in doubt, the Swans' tall stocks will be tested in the early stages of the season“
They have been saying all along Buddy is doubtful for round 1, but have not heard anyone from Sydney say he is ruled out. Expect they will wait until late next week to decide.

So JLT was a disappointment. Some underperforming players coupled with a lack of cohesive play, I gather.

What are the arguments against the following blokes coming into the Round 1 team?

Dickson, Greene, Lynch, Lewis Young? I know Dickson showed some good VFL form. What about the others?

Is Trengove forward an option?

How has it happened that we go into Round 1 with a massive hole in our forward line? Didn’t anyone see this coming months ago?

I think Cordy is the man to go forward as I said weeks ago

Moving Naughton disrupts our backline to much. He may kick 2-3 but we will lost the same at the other end. Naughts Moz and Wood is enough to cover the swans height round one.

Trengove and English to ruck and swap of the bench or forward if we want to try and stretch the swans

But can we count on that happening when it hasn’t for two years now

The amount of shots we are having is a positive but we miss so many and that’s not counting the 3-4 OOB we seem to have every week also
Nah mate, I dont think it'll change but it's still a minor positive in some respects.

I think Cordy is the man to go forward as I said weeks ago

Moving Naughton disrupts our backline to much. He may kick 2-3 but we will lost the same at the other end. Naughts Moz and Wood is enough to cover the swans height round one.

Trengove and English to ruck and swap of the bench or forward if we want to try and stretch the swans
Naughton and Cordy should be our defence for the next decade. I don’t want to see either forward in an ideal world.

But yeah, you’re right, Cordy forward is maybe the lesser of two evils.

I dont know why Suckling had started both games as one of our deepest forwards. I feel he is best suited to our half back line and pinch hitting as a high half forward.

I've pondered Lachie Hunter as deep forward for the past two seasons and cant shake the feeling that it'd add a dynamic edge to our forward set up.

What a crap year for Toyd to be injured/lost desire. The way the AFL have contrived the game now would really work in his favour. Schache really cant do it on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back