Lachie Hunter signs 5 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to sign one of our core players, but what does a contract really mean in the current times. How many players
are still being paid by former clubs and some of them don't even play football anymore. I am not a fan of long term
deals as circumstances can change fairly quickly. A change of coach can see best 22 players on the outer as they
are no longer favoured by a game style.

I'm happy enough with this, get it done and move onto other deals. Wouldn't seem right to see Hunter in any other jumper.

My guess is we got a discount because of the length and it allows us to get on with other deals without having to worry about him.

I like Hunter. He’s versatile, hard working and very underrated outside the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is our raining best and fairest and only 24 years old 5 years is ok but I don't like long term deals generally

Gotta respect a player who signs at the start of a contract year with no fuss. No doubt could have got more out of us if he held out.

Weird player, can be so dangerous around goal but most of the time he’s horrible when he gets a chance. Still a great player without that though and still young so let’s hope he can bring it back into his game

Longer term hopefully means a bit less coin. I'm ok with this as I don't see Hunter as the type to drop away after getting the contract he wants.
I'm only worried about other players expectations going and what Wallis might think

What do you mean by what Wallis might think?

i'm definitely over thinking it... but was just thinking with all the trouble around Wallis' contract and then Hunter gets 5 years without any fuss. I know Wallis hasn't achieved what Hunter but from the outside the contract negotiations seems very different.
i'm sure its nothing

i'm definitely over thinking it... but was just thinking with all the trouble around Wallis' contract and then Hunter gets 5 years without any fuss. I know Wallis hasn't achieved what Hunter but from the outside the contract negotiations seems very different.
i'm sure its nothing

We should start giving all players the same contract regardless of their performance to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.

He is our raining best and fairest and only 24 years old 5 years is ok but I don't like long term deals generally

You can't not offer players long term deals if you want to retain or attract talent. If you do stop offering long term deals players will go to a club which does because many like the job security a long term deal provides. We already saw this with Dahlhaus who claims he left for an extra year on his contract. I know he might have had other motivations but you can't deny that as a club we have to offer long term deals to compete for talent.

i'm sure its nothing
If nothing else, Wallis’s injury history justifies a shorter deal than Hunter so I think he’d be ok. Libba is in many respects a better player but had to accept one year. Lachie’s fone very well in that sense but he’s been extremely durable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back