News New Jumpers For 2019 - All Changes In OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

I was thinking about this last night, and suddenly it's coming true. Marvel/Disney are slowly taking over the Australian sporting market. The following 'superhero' things are occurring/have occurred
  • The NRL has been wearing Superhero jerseys for years now
  • The AFL-owned Docklands becomes Marvel Stadium
  • The AFL's 'Kids Round' has a distinct Superhero theme (they showed Ant-Man at matches and had other various things like that happening)
  • Beyond Sport is closed at Marvel, becomes a Marvel shop
  • The AFL's Round 23 Record slogan is 'The Superheroes of 2018'
  • The BBL makes the BBL|08 theme 'League of Heroes'
  • The AFLW is partially successful in wearing superhero jumpers
  • The Dogs announce a Superhero jersey

I think I remember reading that indigenous round was across two years this year, is that right?
i think unofficially the teams that play away during the indigenous round wear their indigenous guernsey the next time they play at home. or at least that's the case with the suns last year from memory.

i think unofficially the teams that play away during the indigenous round wear their indigenous guernsey the next time they play at home. or at least that's the case with the suns last year from memory.

The Dees in the last 2 years have done the same thing as well

The Cats have been doing this for a while now too, since 2015 I believe. We have a 'Closing the Gap' or 'Djilang' themed round and we wear the Indigenous jumper. Last season it was the week prior to the official Indigenous Round, against Carlton at home. Once again we're playing the Suns away in Indigenous Round, so my guess is that it'll be worn in Round 9 vs the Dogs at home

I guess the AFL is getting a huge cash injection from these various 'Superhero' themes, which is a good thing and I'm all for the AFL exploring cash raising options (even a night Grand Final) But I'm not a fan of the Marvel theme. I don't want to see the Cats wearing an Iron-Man jumper, and I don't like all the Superhero crap around Marvel Stadium

And another one to add to my points in an earlier post: AFLX was 'Superhero' themed

Can't believe some people didn't see s**t like this coming when Marvel got the naming rights. "Its just branding, its no different to Etihad or Telstra!" Wrong. Superheroes are the big thing with kids right now and the AFL will do anything to tie the two in together under the guise of "engaging kids with AFL".

Disgraceful.

No, I called something like this on another thread in November, sadly someone at the Bulldogs and/or the AFL must've seen my post
Dang, if only they hadn't read your post we wouldn't be in this mess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time a guernsey release caused so much posting traffic in a short amount of time on the fourms?

Chris Hemsworth is a doggies supporter right? Probably a reason why for the Thor inspired kit

Yeah.

Bulldogs fan and Hollywood actor Chris Hemsworth has portrayed Thor, the God of Thunder in a series of blockbuster action movies, making the character one of Marvel's most popular superheroes.

The decision to wear the one-off jumper was first raised by the club's commercial department and was ticked off by the Dogs' leadership group.

Club captain Easton Wood said the first AFL game at the stadium since Marvel bought the naming rights would be "a special occasion for us, as a tenant club".

"The club worked closely with the players to come up with the design of the guernsey, and it has been enthusiastically supported by the playing group.

"Kids see us as superheroes and role models, just as they see the Marvel characters on the big screen, and now we can combine the two through footy, which is a unique and exciting opportunity.

"It will hopefully attract a new audience of fans for us, and we're keen to see our members and supporters get to Marvel Stadium for round one in full voice against the Swans."

The Dogs will revert back to their traditional strip for the remainder of the season after the clash against the Swans.

Can't believe some people didn't see s**t like this coming when Marvel got the naming rights. "Its just branding, its no different to Etihad or Telstra!" Wrong. Superheroes are the big thing with kids right now and the AFL will do anything to tie the two in together under the guise of "engaging kids with AFL".

Disgraceful.
and carlton who play at marvel already have a superhero mascot. maybe he can make an appearnce in a marvel film?

The worst thing I've ever seen. Didn't think the AFL would be so stupid. It didn't look good when the NRL did it so the AFL are even second to a bad idea.
Not only that, but the Dogs vs Swans games look fantastic with their home colours and now we won't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back