Opinion 2019 lineup

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I really hope we don’t move Naughton forward. He was as good as any 18 year old defender I’ve seen last year, reads the play as well as anyone and is our best intercept defender. With Adams gone, I’m not sure we have anyone on our list that offers what Naughton does down back. There is probably a good argument that key defenders are as important as key forwards these days anyway.

Schache improved as the year went on last year and should take one key forward spot. I’d be happy with the resting ruckman playing the other key forward position and just fly for marks and get the ball to ground Zaine Cordy 2016 style.

B: Morris - Naughton - Cordy
HB: Daniel - Wood - Crozier

R: Trengove - Bontempelli - Macrae
C: McLean - Liberatore - Hunter

HF: Wallis - Schache - Richards
F: Gowers - English - Lloyd

I: Suckling - Williams - Dunkley - Dickson
I'm fine with this, but a defence of Morris, Naughton, Cordy and Wood seems too tall and slow. Having one rotate out (either between the bench or shifting Cordy forward instead) seems to be a better solution to me. Otherwise if we're confident that Naughton forward is the best path for him, then we 100% need to recruit a big name KPD this year

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After seeming like we were going to be going the two ruckman option this year it looks like its back to one and undersize mids taking it. People will say that bev hates ruckmen or whatever but * what else do you do. Can anyone seriously justify playing Trengove and English in the same team at the moment? Weve barely got a competent ruckman between both of them and they literally offer nothing anywhere else on the ground. I suspect bev goes with Trengove but id just throw the job to English straight away. Its line ball who offers more at this stage (although i think our midfield is much more dangerous with English in the ruck personally) and obviously Timmys got wayyy more upside. Even if we just give him a month or so at a time and then rotate with Trengove so its not too big a workload.

Anyone know how Sweets looked the last two weeks? Im wondering if hed even be an option to at least crash some packs forward which English just seems unable to do at the moment. Love how much s**t Boyds copped all preseason about not even being best 22 if fit, crying out for him right now arent we, he's quite obviously our best 2nd ruck option and i dare say he's still our best number 1 ruck too unfortunately.

If Naughtys going to play forward (which im now on board with) then we can probably allow Schache to give English a chop out here and there but if hes our only tall forward then as much as we all hate it i think the best move is to let the likes of Dunkley continue to struggle in the role.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm fine with this, but a defence of Morris, Naughton, Cordy and Wood seems too tall and slow. Having one rotate out (either between the bench or shifting Cordy forward instead) seems to be a better solution to me. Otherwise if we're confident that Naughton forward is the best path for him, then we 100% need to recruit a big name KPD this year

Slow yes.
Tall? Absolutely not.

Wood is what, 185cm,
Morris 190 and Cordy 194 and neither of them have much of a leap.
Naughton is the only legit talk down there.

You have to remember they are going to be coming up against big power forwards and resting rucks of 198cm plus!

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Slow yes.
Tall? Absolutely not.

Wood is what, 185cm,
Morris 190 and Cordy 194 and neither of them have much of a leap.
Naughton is the only legit talk down there.

You have to remember they are going to be coming up against big power forwards and resting rucks of 198cm plus!
Morris and Cordy are going to be too tall coming up against smaller forward lines is what I'm saying. Morris is pretty good at playing small too, but he's clearly slowing down (speed being the bigger issue, height only minor to me)

How often does a resting ruck tear an opposition team apart? I'd back our rebound ability in.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
FB: Morris - Naughton - Wood
HB: Suckling - Cordy - Crozier
C: Hunter - Dunkley - Richards
HF: Gowers - Schache - Lloyd
FF: Wallis - Bontempelli - McLean
R: Trengove - Liberatore - Macrae

I: Williams Daniel Duryea Dickson

E: English - Hayes - Smith - Lipinski

I expect us to line up like this on the team sheet. I also expect Naughton to wander down to full forward at the first bounce with the Swans lacking Buddy meaning the 'talls' we have in defence should be enough. Suckling to go back with Daniel and Duryea. Williams to play more mid time. We need Dickson in the team.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pretty sure Bevo confirmed Naughton is playing forward next week, so here's my attempt

FB: Morris - Wood - Crozier
HB: Suckling - Cordy - Daniel
C: Hunter - Macrae - Richards
HF: Lloyd - Schache - McLean
FF: Gowers - Naughton - Bontempelli
R: Trengove - Liberatore - Wallis

I: Dunkley - Duryea - Dickson - Williams

E: English - Smith - Lipinski - Hayes

I'm fully expecting Greene and Lynch to not even be included in the round 1 side, despite me feeling they both belong there. Also would rather have Wallis full time forward, but expecting him to start in the midfield since that's usually how it ends up being

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Theirs been a bit of talk about how well some players where playing at the end of last season on varies threads

At the end of a season, lowly teams tend to play well, manly because the pressure is off

The real test of players will be the first 11 games when the pressure is on

Does Mason Cox in the finals last year count?

Coz he made Richmond look silly
He played as the main KPF for the year, they don't even want him to chop out in the ruck this year (hence acquiring Roughy).

We have a history of letting marginal players take us to the cleaners (John Butcher kicking six on our midget backline, Daw with six, Petrie when he was just "ok" kicking 5 in a quarter) but rucks in general rarely do much damage forward. Even the good ones are forward craft rarely kick bags (e.g. Hale).

Weird fact: In 2009 the only Bulldogs player to play on a ruckman from every opposition team was Lindsay Gilbee. Eade rolled the dice and said we'll cut them up on the rebound which is largely what happened.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d be all for this if English was a little more aggressive in the air - which I heard he was doing more over pre season. Yet to really see him deep in the goal square in the JLT - seemed him and Trengove were just rotating off the bench.

We shoukd have tried Schache with English IMO. Seems a bit silly that we left him out in JLT 1.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Theirs been a bit of talk about how well some players where playing at the end of last season on varies threads

At the end of a season, lowly teams tend to play well, manly because the pressure is off

The real test of players will be the first 11 games when the pressure is on

I disagree. We went 3-1 in our last 4 games. The bottom 5 teams won one game between them in the the last 20 games they played including some real hammerings amongst those losses. The only win was when Lions played GC.
The season prior was a little better but still a pretty poor finish from the lower teams.

Edit: We also greatly outperformed those sides during that period while fielding a younger and less experienced 22.

Last edited:

Doggies7

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks Manchester City
You'd think Naughton probably has to stay down back with the Moz injury... Unless they plan on bringing in Lewis Young or more unlikely, Fletch...

Liked the idea of seeing how Naughton went as a fwd and he can still swing fwd during games and against shorter teams, but probably needed down back more now.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You'd think Naughton probably has to stay down back with the Moz injury... Unless they plan on bringing in Lewis Young or more unlikely, Fletch...

Liked the idea of seeing how Naughton went as a fwd and he can still swing fwd during games and against shorter teams, but probably needed down back more now.

Naughton surely back.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
At least this puts an end to the brain dead idea of Naughton forward

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As much as this is a real shame I thought the backline wasn't balanced with all three of Cordy, Wood and Morris in the team. This looks better to me:

B: Wood Naughton Crozier
HB: Williams Cordy Daniel
INT: Duryea

MartinLifts130

Senior List
Feb 22, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
hey guys was wondering how many games will hayes will get this year? and would they be early or mid season?

thanks!

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
KPD's have very similar traits to KPF's, the good ones with closing speed and good hands anyway. Tom McDonald kicked
more goals than Jesse Hogan last year, my brain is not dead yet MD.

I’m not saying they are different footballers(but they are) but every coach in the history of sport has won by tightening up the defense first and building from there.

Also in a bottom 6 team, which we are, the ball will be in the backline more than the forward line so probably a goood thing to put the best mark in the team where the ball will be don’t you think?

Back