No Oppo Supporters Double-Death-Riding Carlton 2019 Edition - Currently Pick 1 and 19

What month will Bolton be sacked?

• April

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • June

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • July

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • August

• September

• He won't get the sack this year

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a midfielder

And yet Bolton said “We've been training him down back in the VFL at the moment, but he's learning team defence.”

Doubt it’s a footy IQ issue. In that case he would play midfield in the VFL and figure it out.

More likely a perceived attitude issue, unwillingness to chase his opponent, something like that. “How about you play defence for a while and see what it feels like, mate”

Either that or it’s the Brendan Bolton random player position generator. Maybe Weitering to midfield at the same time.

This is similar to most new U18 draftees .....the offensive game is well developed, the defensive not so much .....nothing to see here

I think someone might have already mentioned it, but it seems odd that Stocker was so highly sought after by Carlton, yet has no appeared so far and from listening to Carlton, he won't be rushed and may not even feature this year. Then if that is the case, would they not have been better off holding onto their 2019 1st rounder and taken a Rowell or another kid inside the top 3 that is likely more highly rated than Stocker (as they are likely to finish bottom 3) and that kid would probably already be in line to play next year anyway? Our 1st rounder they have is likely to be a back end 1st and won't secure the high level talent this year. Just seems really odd what they did

I was suggesting, like the clip from the movie (where the attacker whom is making prank calls is in the house),
Your calls to allow Carlton supporters back now is also an attack from within.
I reckon open it up a couple of days before not 2 weeks. Those Carlton supporters are unbearable.
I think the pace of this thread is quite good at the moment, perhaps a touch slow but will be just right when games get under way. With Bloos posters present, it becomes like a constant gameday thread.

deathriding-smug-as-jpg.633574

I would've thought Carlton fans would've learned about how being March premiers doesn't translate to regular season form.

Totally disagree here. I think preseason form is a direct correlation to the H&A season.

As an example, Carlton won 2 preseason games in 2018, they then went on to duplicate this in the H&A season winning 2 games as well. :drunk:

:p

I think Carlton are gonna have alot of heartbreaker games this season a bit like Brisbane last year losses under 12 points where if they had more experience or good leadership they could have won.

I think they'll finish 16th with 5 wins that's still Pick 3 for us which is excellent

I think someone might have already mentioned it, but it seems odd that Stocker was so highly sought after by Carlton, yet has no appeared so far and from listening to Carlton, he won't be rushed and may not even feature this year. Then if that is the case, would they not have been better off holding onto their 2019 1st rounder and taken a Rowell or another kid inside the top 3 that is likely more highly rated than Stocker (as they are likely to finish bottom 3) and that kid would probably already be in line to play next year anyway? Our 1st rounder they have is likely to be a back end 1st and won't secure the high level talent this year. Just seems really odd what they did

No, because in their heads they are finishing mid table this year, so no Rowell for them.

We can rule out pick 1. That's St Kilda.

Pick 2 likely GC.

So its Pick 3, but i reckon 4.

I wouldn't rule out anything just yet seeing there is nothing to indicate Saints will get worse, or Carlton will improve (and remember, saints staying stagnant still means Carlton would need to improve rather drastically), though I have a feeling Gold Coast may have lost the opportunity to get some separation from Saints/Carlton with those injuries. Not impossible mind you, and better now then mid season, but we're going to learn a fair bit about if Dew has it or not.

We can rule out pick 1. That's St Kilda.

Pick 2 likely GC.

So its Pick 3, but i reckon 4.
I’m sure when the club worked out the trade they would have accepted a top 4 pick, it will be an elite talent.

For a s**t as Carlton are, you can’t control how s**t other clubs might be and the Saints have had the preseason from hell, w***ers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory he didn't test at the draft combine due to nursing a shoulder injury that he carried through the TAC Cup finals but did contest a specially arranged 2km run for the lads that couldn't test at the Combine the week before the draft. He has ? over his endurance at this point I'd say going on the results of that run and likely the reason he's been held back. I remember him mentioning at his Morrish Medal acceptance speech admitting his endurance was a work in progress. He CAN play.

Tom Berry 6min 36s
Zak Butters 6.37
James Rowbottom 6.38
Jye Caldwell 6.48
Jai Nanscawen 6.51
Angus Hanrahan 6.56
Liam Stocker 6.56
For reference, what sorts of times would Fogarty and Jones run Bicks?

Didn't Pyke challenge McGovern to do more with his preparation in a very "robust" end of year interview so he decided it's best for his career to leave? It will be interesting tracking his career at a club like Carlton.....I have a feeling he will be dropped a few times this year at a club that will struggle with wins.
That would be a PR disaster

I wouldn't rule out anything just yet seeing there is nothing to indicate Saints will get worse, or Carlton will improve (and remember, saints staying stagnant still means Carlton would need to improve rather drastically), though I have a feeling Gold Coast may have lost the opportunity to get some separation from Saints/Carlton with those injuries. Not impossible mind you, and better now then mid season, but we're going to learn a fair bit about if Dew has it or not.
I just look at the Saints injury list. It will be a miracle for them to hold ground.

I agree with the other poster, i would still have done the trade for a top 4 pick. But i did get a bit excited about potentially top 1 or 2

I just look at the Saints injury list. It will be a miracle for them to hold ground.

I agree with the other poster, i would still have done the trade for a top 4 pick. But i did get a bit excited about potentially top 1 or 2

That looks much worse on paper then it actually is. Lots of 1-3 week injuries, lots of depth/rookies (who aren't making sweet * all of a difference to the Saints). Stevens is probably the main factor here and it's got a note that he's already training so he's potentially a shot at being back by round 1-2.

Carlisle, and McCartin are the two main ones, but that's no difference to quality Carlton, Gold Coast and co. have lost.

Carlton have a tough draw. I still think the Saints will finish above them even with their injury problems. The Saints have a much more developed squad as well.

GC are a definite concern. Dew will have to work some magic to keep them from finishing last. Hopefully they can play well at home and sneak a few wins. Their preseason has been ok.

That looks much worse on paper then it actually is. Lots of 1-3 week injuries, lots of depth/rookies (who aren't making sweet **** all of a difference to the Saints). Stevens is probably the main factor here and it's got a note that he's already training so he's potentially a shot at being back by round 1-2.

Carlisle, and McCartin are the two main ones, but that's no difference to quality Carlton, Gold Coast and co. have lost.
Haven’t a fair whack of these players been injured for a while meaning they’ve missed chunks of the preseason?

That looks much worse on paper then it actually is. Lots of 1-3 week injuries, lots of depth/rookies (who aren't making sweet **** all of a difference to the Saints). Stevens is probably the main factor here and it's got a note that he's already training so he's potentially a shot at being back by round 1-2.

Fair call.

Will be interesting season to play out.

Haven’t a fair whack of these players been injured for a while meaning they’ve missed chunks of the preseason?

Potentially, but then again it comes down to a lot of that is apart of the Saints non-existent depth. The two problem points is Carlisle and Stevens, now I'm guessing Stevens is fit to go right now but wants to get his head in the right space, and Carlisle will be a real problem point for a good portion of this season (Indefinite back injury sounds like 2019 may just be a write off).

Hannebury may be another issue, but i'm unsure whether to truly count him as a big piece seeing his 2018 wasn't good at all.

For reference, what sorts of times would Fogarty and Jones run Bicks?

In the 2018 combine Chayce Jones was 2nd overall with 6.05 (Jacob Kennerley from Norwood was 1st with 6.04 - drafted by Geelong at pick 50) Sam Walsh was 3rd with 6.07. 2017 was the first time the 2km time trial was run at the combine, 6.09 was the fastest by Dylan Moore - drafted by Hawthorn at pick 67.

Izak Rankine did 6.56 and was in the bottom half of those tested at the combine.

Darcy Fogarty was injured during the 2017 combine, so did his run in mid-Nov 2017 with 3 other players who were coming back from injuries in front of recruiters.
They were all relatively slow, Fog was 1st with 7.33, Callum Coleman-Jones 7:35, Cam Raynor 7.57 and Charlie Constable 7:58.

What is interesting is despite his relatively slow time, after his first pre-season, Cam Raynor played every game for Brisbane.

So fastest times over 2km don't necessarily relate to being drafted the highest, and slow times don't necessarily mean you can't run out every game in a season.

In the 2018 combine Chayce Jones was 2nd overall with 6.05 (Jacob Kennerley from Norwood was 1st with 6.04 - drafted by Geelong at pick 50) Sam Walsh was 3rd with 6.07. 2017 was the first time the 2km time trial was run at the combine, 6.09 was the fastest by Dylan Moore - drafted by Hawthorn at pick 67.

Izak Rankine did 6.56 and was in the bottom half of those tested at the combine.

Darcy Fogarty was injured during the 2017 combine, so did his run in mid-Nov 2017 with 3 other players who were coming back from injuries in front of recruiters.
They were all relatively slow, Fog was 1st with 7.33, Callum Coleman-Jones 7:35, Cam Raynor 7.57 and Charlie Constable 7:58.

What is interesting is despite his relatively slow time, after his first pre-season, Cam Raynor played every game for Brisbane.

So fastest times over 2km don't necessarily relate to being drafted the highest, and slow times don't necessarily mean you can't run out every game in a season.
Geez, that’s a fair difference in times. You shouldn’t be able to give guys nearly a 2 minute head start in a 2km time trial and run them down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back