Society/Culture Monarchy vs Republic for Australia, and what is your main reasoning?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I meant to say it is not entirely ceremonial, there is a bit more to it. There are serious reserve powers which require a person of maturity and sound judgment.

It also requires that this person of sound judgement and maturity is never ever voted for!
That is why our system as it stands is safe , because of those reserve powers mentioned.

GG and political parties can never be politically connected , someone special needs to be the GG , but even then we make mistakes, thats life.
We have a safe system I 'd like it left that way, and I don't really care much about the Royal family except for the brilliant history behind it. I love history .

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Monarchy but the monarch must be Australian.

A republic without radical constitutional change is nothing more that a pointless 8 letter word.

Don't get sucked in by the hyperbole people.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
A republic without radical constitutional change is nothing more that a pointless 8 letter word.

Don't get sucked in by the hyperbole people.

What would you change in the constitution and how would they connect to republicanism?

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
No expert, but the President of, say, Italy seems comparable to the GG in terms of powers and authority. From wikipedia:

Italy seems to be an interesting case study.

The powers of an Italian President are small in number but they are powerful. He has the usual powers to appoint and dismiss Governments and dissolve Parliament, but he is not burdened to act on the advice of his Ministers in these matters.

Italy almost went back to the polls last year due to a disagreement on who should hold a particular ministry, he rejected the choice of the newly designated Prime Minister. In the end the President won the argument and the position was filled by another member of cabinet.

I felt it was a poor exercise in democracy, though it was totally legitimate according to the constitution.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Are there specific bits you want to replace specific bits in this link? Or the whole entire English translation of the Swiss constitution in place of our current one?

I would replace the current colonial joke with the entire thing and more.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You must know it will never happen on those terms. You sound less republican, more jaded 45-year-old who wishes they'd lived through a revolution.

Hey, at least you can identify the statutory enslavement of the Australian people, which puts you ahead of the average schmuck.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Calling us slaves suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of what slavery actually is.

Your interpetation suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of a simple sentence.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
How are we enslaved?

If it's not obvious to you, then I CBF'ed putting the time in to explaining it.

UTSE to check up on reams of stuff I have posted about this in the past

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I can't for the life of me see how someone like that would get anywhere near to winning a national popular vote. Think about the sort of person that would appeal to a majority of the nation, and you'll be looking at someone pretty vanilla. We're not going to vote in crackpots like Hanson or Palmer.

If there is no limit to number of candidates or there is a large number of candidates, then I could absolutely see a nutter getting up in a popular vote.

If there is no limit to number of candidates or there is a large number of candidates, then I could absolutely see a nutter getting up in a popular vote.
Preferential voting is our very best friend

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
That was more on the parliamentary system than the voting system, as is evidenced by the fact that it was Parliament that ousted him.
The voting system with preferential voting delivered a party with Abbott as leader. It has also delivered Clive Palmer, Pauline Hanson, etc into seats.

The idea that the preferential system is a defence against despotism is little more than parochialism.

The voting system with preferential voting delivered a party with Abbott as leader. It has also delivered Clive Palmer, Pauline Hanson, etc into seats.

The idea that the preferential system is a defence against despotism is little more than parochialism.
If the despot is the least preferred candidate then fine, but the original point was that the number of candidates will have little effect on the chances of getting a nutjob as president because the candidate still has to get more than 50% support. Not even the US were dumb enough to give Trump that much.

It was this fear of democracy that led the US to have the electoral college, which ironically denied the people their will to not have a total arsehat in control of their country. If you're going to be democratic you simply just have to trust the people, and having a system that properly reflects their will is part of that.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If the despot is the least preferred candidate then fine, but the original point was that the number of candidates will have little effect on the chances of getting a nutjob as president because the candidate still has to get more than 50% support. Not even the US were dumb enough to give Trump that much.

It was this fear of democracy that led the US to have the electoral college, which ironically denied the people their will to not have a total arsehat in control of their country. If you're going to be democratic you simply just have to trust the people, and having a system that properly reflects their will is part of that.
Preference manipulation led to Fraser Anning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back