Who has the best forward line heading into 2019?

Who will have the best forward line in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

D Rioli > W Rioli > Stephenson

Stephenson is a seagull.

I saw this in the Tim Kelly thread as well; people need to stop acting like a mature age recruit will develop the same way a usual recruit will. There’s usually less scope for development because an 18-year-old has more growing to do, a 23-year-old usually doesn’t. There’s also often a reason players are overlooked for several years.

Now, I’m quite bullish about Willie because part of the reason he got overlooked was laziness. The talent was always there. But the fact he debuted last year does not guarantee his trajectory will go up every year for the next five years.

I saw this in the Tim Kelly thread as well; people need to stop acting like a mature age recruit will develop the same way a usual recruit will. There’s usually less scope for development because an 18-year-old has more growing to do, a 23-year-old usually doesn’t. There’s also often a reason players are overlooked for several years.

Now, I’m quite bullish about Willie because part of the reason he got overlooked was laziness. The talent was always there. But the fact he debuted last year does not guarantee his trajectory will go up every year for the next five years.
Neither does it mean D Rioli's will.

Development is growth within a system and being pushed by new challenges. Age is irrelevant for two people like that. I'm not going into who will be better because time will tell but to say Willie won't develop as much is comical troll science.

Serious revisionist history going on here I don’t know how you can possibly compare Rioli, Ryan and Stevenson, Elliot.
Elliot is a gun and you are banking on him returning to form massive question mark.
Stephenson is the hardest player to gauge for me he had an excellent first year and can do some seriously freakish s**t has best player in the Comp kind of potential but I have no idea how he projects or will develop.
Willie Rioli a lot of people are sleeping on he has shown very good footy but has a few gears to go if you ask me absolute wizard.
And same as Ryan has brilliant tools but it’s impossible to predict there output

When I look at most forward lines I see the Crows list and think it is right up there, but after watching them in the Grand Final namely Jenkins and Walker it turns me off them.
Not sure if that 1 game should leave me with the doubts I have but they just didn't stand up in the most important game of their lives.

It might be bit different coming from the WAFL. There's recent evidence in players like Kelly and Zac Langdon that it's feasible to be up to AFL soeed after an off season.

What I've seen with our rookie from the local leagues in Daniel Lloyd is that it really took 2 years and he still looks a bit better each year.

As for talent I'm really not sure. How much talent is running around in local leagues in guys that didn't have the discipline or the drive to get drafted.

Saying he might not be on a list is a pretty fair call. Do you know who Elliott is? He's played 17 games between 2015-2018.
If he is delisted by Collingwood, then I am confident another club will pick him up. Therefore, I think it is unlikely he will end up not being on a list.

The debate was that Willie at 23 had little to no scope for improvement.

Not that he would improve over 5 years.

And not all players are the same. Some improve and peak early......others take longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The debate was that Willie at 23 had little to no scope for improvement.

Not that he would improve over 5 years.

And not all players are the same. Some improve and peak early......others take longer.
I agree it's silly to say he has no scope for improvement, particularly given the reasons for his late development were weight and laziness. But neither is it out of the realms of possibility that he is closer to his peak than someone three years younger. I personally think he is going to be very valuable forward and pushing into the middle for us. I'll reserve judgment on whether he will be better than Daniel or Jayden Stephenson.

Neither does it mean D Rioli's will.

Development is growth within a system and being pushed by new challenges. Age is irrelevant for two people like that. I'm not going into who will be better because time will tell but to say Willie won't develop as much is comical troll science.

I’d argue that age is irrelevant for all players to an extent

Shannon Hurn has just played the best season of his career by a country mile at the age of 31.

All depends on how your body holds up as you age, some players hit a wall, some players are evergreen and retire when they’ve had enough, not when the game passes them.

Someone like Josh Kennedy who flies multiple times a quarter isn’t going to have the same longevity as someone like Andrew Gaff who hasn’t won a contested footy in his life.

Depends entirely on the player and their body.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d argue that age is irrelevant for all players to an extent

Shannon Hurn has just played the best season of his career by a country mile at the age of 31.

All depends on how your body holds up as you age, some players hit a wall, some players are evergreen and retire when they’ve had enough, not when the game passes them.

Someone like Josh Kennedy who flies multiple times a quarter isn’t going to have the same longevity as someone like Andrew Gaff who hasn’t won a contested footy in his life.

Depends entirely on the player and their body.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

then again some outside players age badly , some inside machines have longevity

D Rioli > W Rioli > Stephenson

Stephenson is a seagull.

Yep, Rioli 13 goals in his first season better than Stephensons 38.
In fact it took Rioli his first two years to equal Stevo’s first year goal tally. Or his second and third year combined also for 38 sausage rolls.

Therefore Rioli is half the player, lol

Yep, Rioli 13 goals in his first season better than Stephensons 38.
In fact it took Rioli his first two years to equal Stevo’s first year goal tally. Or his second and third year combined also for 38 sausage rolls.

Therefore Rioli is half the player, lol
Because goals alone is a true indicator......

Rioli plays high half forward. Stephenson is often your deepest forward and plays the Jenkins goal square opportunist role. Rioli plays high up the ground and is therefore less likely to score. Learn your footy.

It isnt hard really.

Just pointing out that it is a tad premature to classify Riewaldt and Lynch as better than Kennedy and Darling when they havent even played a single game together.

Edwards is more a mid than a forward and there are plenty of pure medium forwards who have him well covered as a forward.

How many goals has Edwards kicked and help set up compared to a De Goey or a Rioli or a Stephenson?

Edwards was second in the league for goal assists in 2018....

hehe

Rioli plays high half forward. Stephenson is often your deepest forward and plays the Jenkins goal square opportunist role. Rioli plays high up the ground and is therefore less likely to score. Learn your footy.

You learn your footy, 38 1st year goals vs Riolis total of 51 in 3 years of footy for ave 17 goals per season.
Just like in your post about JDG “Degoey should aim to be a poor mans dusty” again lol.
I get it you still got s**t on the liver over prelim thrashing, build a bridge ;)

You learn your footy, 38 1st year goals vs Riolis total of 51 in 3 years of footy for ave 17 goals per season.
Just like in your post about JDG “Degoey should aim to be a poor mans dusty” again lol.
I get it you still got s**t on the liver over prelim thrashing, build a bridge ;)

Believe me, the only people still thinking about the prelim are you guys

pretty sad that a few of your players have actually admitted that beating us was their ultimate goal, would have thought a flag was the ultimate goal

rent free

So Edwards who plays high half forward / mid averaged 1.3 goal assists per game.

Id hope that a mid would playing as a link between the back half and forward half.

Doesnt make him a gun forward.

De goey averaged 0.8 GA PLUS kicked what 48 goals.

Edwards kicked 14.

He's a high half forward mid with very good efficency who doesnt get massive numbers.

Back