List Mgmt. 2019 trade prospects

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah I hope we can find a ruckman that's sitting behind someone strong. Jacobs is getting on and O'Brien could go either way but at this stage it's to imagine him being one of the top rucks of the competition. If O'Brien doesn't work out we're not left with much in the ruck department, someone of a similar age to O'Brien who has been on an AFL list for a while would be the minimum to at least give the two some competition for the spot if Jacobs does finish up in the next season or two.

Shame Darcy re-signed with Freo last year as he's a huge unit who I could see being a decent ruckman in years to come. For memory, Freo have a heap of ruckman on the list so maybe there's something there we can pinch...

Then why didn’t we get one this year?

We need a quality ruck, not just an average one.

Who knows. Most likely got caught with our dicks in our hand (outside of Pruess, where we most likely did the right thing by not matching Melbourne). Mind you if you are looking at the bargain end for rucks, I can least forgive wanting to give ROB a shot prior if we go down that route at some point this season.

We really don't need a quality ruck either. The at worse of someone who is happy to throw his weight around and can routinely negate a ruck contest would be fine.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wouldn't mind a fast, goalkicking mid...
Didn't we draft Milera, Gooch and Jones to be that over the next decade? Pretty sure Milera will be playing that role at least partially as early as this season.

Gooch might role through a bit this season too (if we ever find out whats wrong with him)

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Didn't we draft Milera, Gooch and Jones to be that over the next decade? Pretty sure Milera will be playing that role at least partially as early as this season.

Gooch might role through a bit this season too (if we ever find out whats wrong with him)
I'm talking about for now...Zorko, S Hill types

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm talking about for now...Zorko, S Hill types
I mean I wouldn't say no to players like that (who would?). But I think we actually have those types on the list already! Brad Crouch can show Zorko like bursts and goal kicking nouse, and Seedsman has all the tools to be the one of the best Wingman in the comp if he can string 22 games together. He showed that for 9-10 games last year before the combination of a woeful team and injury got him.

Then the aforementioned 3 youngsters all need to be worked into a very crowded midfield over the next 24 months (not to mention potentially another very high draftpick).

Personally I think Ogilvie has worked very hard to fix the blend of our midfield in the last 3-4 drafts, and we are primed to see the fruits of that work in the coming seasons!

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I mean I wouldn't say no to players like that (who would?). But I think we actually have those types on the list already! Brad Crouch can show Zorko like bursts and goal kicking nouse, and Seedsman has all the tools to be the one of the best Wingman in the comp if he can string 22 games together. He showed that for 9-10 games last year before the combination of a woeful team and injury got him.

Then the aforementioned 3 youngsters all need to be worked into a very crowded midfield over the next 24 months (not to mention potentially another very high draftpick).

Personally I think Ogilvie has worked very hard to fix the blend of our midfield in the last 3-4 drafts, and we are primed to see the fruits of that work in the coming seasons!
While you can always improve I think this is the one area we dont need to rush out for. We can take a long term view

While you can always improve I think this is the one area we dont need to rush out for. We can take a long term view

In terms of drafting, I'd like us to go for a big bodied mid.

Gibbs isn't getting any younger, and there's doubts over Greenwood's ability to complete a preseason and develop the tank he needs. We don't have an abundance of this type of player in the SANFL either.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Gibbs isn't getting any younger, and there's doubts over Greenwood's ability to complete a preseason and develop the tank he needs. We don't have an abundance of this type of player in the SANFL either.
Really? Personally the big bodied mid to me is a position of excess for us. Or at least the inside, clearance role the big bodied mids are best known for playing.

We have Sloane, Gibbs, 2 x Crouch's, Greenwood and if we need a SANFL top up CEY and Poholke who are all very accomplished in and under clearance players (question mark still on Myles). To me injecting speed and class disposal into the midfield was the far more pressing issue in years gone by. Which I think we have addressed in 3 of the last 4 drafts.

Like I said above, I actually really like our balance in the midfield right now. Think if it stays healthy there is not a great deal we are lacking anymore!

Really? Personally the big bodied mid to me is a position of excess for us. Or at least the inside, clearance role the big bodied mids are best known for playing.

We have Sloane, Gibbs, 2 x Crouch's, Greenwood and if we need a SANFL top up CEY and Poholke who are all very accomplished in and under clearance players (question mark still on Myles). To me injecting speed and class disposal into the midfield was the far more pressing issue in years gone by. Which I think we have addressed in 3 of the last 4 drafts.

Like I said above, I actually really like our balance in the midfield right now. Think if it stays healthy there is not a great deal we are lacking anymore!

Sloane and Matt Crouch in particular are way to small to be considered big bodied midfielders. I do get the idea of it being a need seeing we are a quite small midfield but I've cooled in how much I want it.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sloane and Matt Crouch in particular are way to small to be considered big bodied midfielders. I do get the idea of it being a need seeing we are a quite small midfield but I've cooled in how much I want it.
I know what you are saying, but I just think people in general need to be careful being too infatuated for big bodied midfielders. We all want the positive's that come from having star big bodies like Martin, Cripps, Danger or Fyfe, but they are certainly not without flaws (even if the AFL commentators would never dare whisper a word of it).

Pretty much none of those guys have defended an opposition player this decade, Danger hasn't hit a target with a clearance since 2006, and there is a reason they all spend so much time at FF, its because when they are in the middle they pretty much all use their bodies as battering rams to the point where they can barely run by seasons end (remember Cripps in round 23, or Danger against us in 2017, or Fyfe in their last final limping around, or Dusty in last years Prelim). They are interior bulls, but often its to their own detriment (as well as their teams)!

And you look at their stats, and guys like Crouch and Sloane match or surpass them in key inside midfielder stats all the time. The reason these guys win Brownlow's is because they go forward and score bags of goals. But as midfielders, we are getting just as much out of 'smaller bodied' guys as these teams are getting out of their high priced big bodies!

Again, I want to stress, I'm not saying I wouldn't love a star big bodied mid on our list, i absolutely would, but just not sold that we need another big bodied mid in our mix. I'd prefer a perfect blend of 5-6 midfielders, which I think we are pretty close to with a fit list.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oakleigh underage prospect Noah Anderson staked his claim to be one of the first chosen in 2019. The 190cm, midfielder and forward secured 20 disposals, five inside 50s, four goals and four score assists. Noah, the son of Hawthorn premiership player Dean, is not eligible as a father-son choice.
I keep hearing good things about this kid! One to watch for sure

Jetwa5h

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2007
On the line interwebs thingy
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

I hope we stay in Hatelys ear while he is at GWS

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Feel like Himmelberg would be a superb get. Versatile, dangerous in the air and a great athlete. Would cost more than Carlton’s 2nd though (not too much more, though). We might have to give up some form of 2020 pick, too

Trade Himmelberg and ‘20 GWS 3rd for 20 and ‘20 Adel 2nd
Draft Noah Anderson with Carl 1st

Gives us a young core of Milera, Doedee, HHimmelberg, Gallucci, Fogarty, Jones, McHenry, Anderson (not to mention possibly Hamill, EHimmelberg, Murphy, McPherson etc). Great mix of players there, all we need is a future ruck

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Oakleigh underage prospect Noah Anderson staked his claim to be one of the first chosen in 2019. The 190cm, midfielder and forward secured 20 disposals, five inside 50s, four goals and four score assists. Noah, the son of Hawthorn premiership player Dean, is not eligible as a father-son choice.
Yep, my favourite player in this year’s draft. Literally one of the most impactful all-round players I’ve seen at junior level

Will be interesting to see how he develops on his underage year, hopefully he can accumulate a bit more

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I hope we stay in Hatelys ear while he is at GWS
I think it will be tough to pry him out unfortunately, that GWS super list is primed to take the final deathstroke next offseason.

OOC players: Coniglio, Kelly, Himmelberg, Tomlinson, Hopper, Buntine, +13 others
Older players: Shaw 34, Delidio 32, De Boer 30, Mumford 33

And not to mention Patton (who never is far from trade discussions).

It wouldn't surprise me if at the end of this year they lose Kelly, Coniglio, Berg, Patton, Shaw, Delidio and Mummy!

And that will pretty much send them right back to square 1!! They wont be keen to let any young 1st rounders walk.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know what you are saying, but I just think people in general need to be careful being too infatuated for big bodied midfielders. We all want the positive's that come from having star big bodies like Martin, Cripps, Danger or Fyfe, but they are certainly not without flaws (even if the AFL commentators would never dare whisper a word of it).

Pretty much none of those guys have defended an opposition player this decade, Danger hasn't hit a target with a clearance since 2006, and there is a reason they all spend so much time at FF, its because when they are in the middle they pretty much all use their bodies as battering rams to the point where they can barely run by seasons end (remember Cripps in round 23, or Danger against us in 2017, or Fyfe in their last final limping around, or Dusty in last years Prelim). They are interior bulls, but often its to their own detriment (as well as their teams)!

And you look at their stats, and guys like Crouch and Sloane match or surpass them in key inside midfielder stats all the time. The reason these guys win Brownlow's is because they go forward and score bags of goals. But as midfielders, we are getting just as much out of 'smaller bodied' guys as these teams are getting out of their high priced big bodies!

Again, I want to stress, I'm not saying I wouldn't love a star big bodied mid on our list, i absolutely would, but just not sold that we need another big bodied mid in our mix. I'd prefer a perfect blend of 5-6 midfielders, which I think we are pretty close to with a fit list.
If we get a top 3 pick - hopefully pick 1..it would be great to draft a mid that has top end break away speed from a contest (ie chris Judd / treloar like etc) as apart from Brad Crouch, we don't have that and it would be a great add to our team to have an elite youngster with that trait

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I think GWS will lose one of Kelly or Cogs, not both. Used to think it was a sure thing to be Kelly, but I’m leaning towards Cogs now with all the recent rumours

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
If we get a top 3 pick - hopefully pick 1..it would be great to draft a mid that has top end break away speed from a contest (ie chris Judd / treloar like etc) as apart from Brad Crouch, we don't have that and it would be a great add to our team to have an elite youngster with that trait
So what do you call what Chayce Jones is currently displaying? Looks express to my eye.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Bailey Williams from the Dogs is OOC at the end of 2019
And a very decent footballer too but with Brodie Smith, Wayne Milera, Tom Doedee, Luke Brown, Jake Kelly, Andrew McPherson, Lachlan Sholl and Will Hamill and Lachy Murphy at a pinch on our list where exactly does he fit in in our defence.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
So what do you call what Chayce Jones is currently displaying? Looks express to my eye.
he didn't jump out at me in the JLT to say he had Judd's break away speed from a contest or Treloar's. He looks good though. Can't have enough guys with that top end speed from a contest and if we get a pick 1, 2 or 3 it would be a good get if one was available to draft

Back