Preview JLT 2: Fremantle vs West Coast. Sunday 4:10pm @ Rushton Park.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wouldn't be surprised if Brayshaw cops a few more tags throughout the year. Arguably our second best midfielder while Blakely/Hill out (probably a bit harsh on Mundy/Walters but Brayshaw's probably more of that true clearance mid.) He's probably a lot more taggable than the others and stopping him could easily make Fyfes job too big for even him. Desperately need Blakely back for that A grade support.
I'd probably wait until the regular season. Mundy has looked like he's having a leisurely stroll in JLT so far. Walters played a bit more time in JLT2 but he was still not close to regular TOG nor at full intensity either. Suspect our injury situation might have caused us to ease back ("DO NOT GET INJURED!!!") on senior players going too hard in JLT ;) Crossing fingers that also explains our defenders being under par in JLT. If come round 1 they are showing the same level of intensity then I'll be very worried. Fyfe in, more from Mundy and Walters, takes the pressure off Brayshaw/Cerra/Tucker a fair bit, and our midfield at least survives the early rounds before we get some relief from returning senior mids.

Or our injury situation continues on its current trajectory and we are completely f***ed.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just had a quick look for you. Set ups were as follows for 3rd.
1-Darcy, Walters, Brayshaw, Tucker
2- same
3-Darcy, Walters, Mundy, Tucker
4- Darcy, Walters, Collyer, Mundy
5- Lobb, Tucker, Hogan, Mundy
6- Darcy, Tucker, Walters, Brayshaw
7-Lobb, Walters, Tucker, Hogan
8-Darcy, Walters, Mundy, Conca

Personally, I think Walters is a forward and isn’t getting younger. He needs to stay forward for longevity.
Trade for Lobb and Hogan as KPF’s. Play Hogan, Lobb and Walters at the centre bounce 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Just Freo things.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thought this was a pretty sweet hitout to advantage. Cut it short though because Hill went with the kick it to the hotspot option.... and we know how that ends up.

I actually thought Sean acquitted himself pretty well considering it was his first hit out. He had 32 hit outs compared to Vardy and Hickey with 18 each. We still got smashed in the clearances, but I think that was more about a well rested premiership midfield versus a makeshift midfield coming of a short break.

Let's see how the connection is with the midfield in round 1, but at this stage Sean's one of our lesser issues I think.

Last edited:

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Didn’t see this game but heard Conca did well, what did you guys think?
He was really good for a first hit out imo. Questionable disposal at times (in fairness, he also did some nice ones) but he is the type of role player we have needed on our list. Think Fyfe will like playing with him - he is a better inside version of Suban. Think a blocking type will be valuable with the 6-6-6 rule.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I think he is going to be a really decent pickup. That we have been missing what he brings highlights how dumb the decisions around DeBoer and Barlow were back in 2016.
I think they felt De Boer and Barlow were both too slow as inside mids with how the game was evolving. I love Micky but I kind of agree - just too slow to be accountable on the spread. Conca might not look it but he has some wheels.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Delisting De Boer was 100% the right decision. No AFL club keeps a 26 year old who plays less than five games in a season unless it was because of injuries. The only role he’s ever been able to play at AFL level is the exact role he’s playing, which is the exact role he was playing for us between 2012 and 2015. He’s a useful player to have if you have other forwards who actually score goals but in a forward line like ours in 2017/2018 he’s just another guy averaging under 1.5 goals a game.

Barlow should almost still be on our list. Would’ve got 10-12 games the last few years because we’ve got a coach that wouldn’t have just put a line through him because he’s 30+.

Conca is quite simply a much better player than De Boer, he’s better than Barlow was the last three seasons too.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Delisting De Boer was 100% the right decision. No AFL club keeps a 26 year old who plays less than five games in a season unless it was because of injuries. The only role he’s ever been able to play at AFL level is the exact role he’s playing, which is the exact role he was playing for us between 2012 and 2015. He’s a useful player to have if you have other forwards who actually score goals but in a forward line like ours in 2017/2018 he’s just another guy averaging under 1.5 goals a game.

Barlow should almost still be on our list. Would’ve got 10-12 games the last few years because we’ve got a coach that wouldn’t have just put a line through him because he’s 30+.

Conca is quite simply a much better player than De Boer, he’s better than Barlow was the last three seasons too.
Yes Conca is a better player: but that's not my point. Since the rebuild began at the end of 2016 we have been terribly short of forward half defensive pressure and, at times, midfield defensive pressure (depending on the injury list).

DeBoer could have provided some of that, Barlow could have also played a midfield role, but both were delisted. And yet other guys were kept only to prove pretty ineffectual.

Its not that changes didn't need to be made. Its just that, I think, the wrong changes were made. We were getting smashed in the back end of 2017 with Suban, D.Pearce and Sheridan getting midfield minutes, and Ballas slipping over in a forward pocket. I would have prefered Barlow and DeBoer over some of those guys.

I know DeBoer and Barlow were out of contract and the other guys were in contract. Perhaps that just makes some of the decision-making lazy instead of dumb.

And on 2016 game time: DeBoer definitely should of been playing more than 5 games. That his very good WAFL form wasn't rewarded points to MC not selecting based on merit but on a "rebuild" agenda.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
He was really good for a first hit out imo. Questionable disposal at times (in fairness, he also did some nice ones) but he is the type of role player we have needed on our list. Think Fyfe will like playing with him - he is a better inside version of Suban. Think a blocking type will be valuable with the 6-6-6 rule.
Yeah I think he will do well for you blokes, he’s one player that all Richmond fans could understand the reason he left and I think the majority want to see him do well. Fantastic character as can be attributed to being promoted to your leadership group. Will be one to help drive standards.
Good luck for 2019.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes Conca is a better player: but that's not my point. Since the rebuild began at the end of 2016 we have been terribly short of forward half defensive pressure and, at times, midfield defensive pressure (depending on the injury list).

DeBoer could have provided some of that, Barlow could have also played a midfield role, but both were delisted. And yet other guys were kept only to prove pretty ineffectual.

Its not that changes didn't need to be made. Its just that, I think, the wrong changes were made. We were getting smashed in the back end of 2017 with Suban, D.Pearce and Sheridan getting midfield minutes, and Ballas slipping over in a forward pocket. I would have prefered Barlow and DeBoer over some of those guys.

I know DeBoer and Barlow were out of contract and the other guys were in contract. Perhaps that just makes some of the decision-making lazy instead of dumb.

And on 2016 game time: DeBoer definitely should of been playing more than 5 games. That his very good WAFL form wasn't rewarded points to MC not selecting based on merit but on a "rebuild" agenda.
De Boer was delisted because he was no where near best 22 and was 26. You've got to be best 22 at 26 or your gone. He's useless outside his one decent role which relies on forwards around him that actually kick goals.

Contracts have meant some players have gone a year earlier or later than they should but bar perhaps Sam Collins and Menegola none would be in our top 30 heading into 2019.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Didn’t see this game but heard Conca did well, what did you guys think?
He’s handy. Would like him to be used the way Richmond did with him. Inside/up and under midfielder. He’s not a half back flanker. He’s so much more important with his tackling and hands in close

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
De Boer was delisted because he was no where near best 22 and was 26. You've got to be best 22 at 26 or your gone. He's useless outside his one decent role which relies on forwards around him that actually kick goals.

Contracts have meant some players have gone a year earlier or later than they should but bar perhaps Sam Collins and Menegola none would be in our top 30 heading into 2019.

De Boer was just unlucky. Rebuilding mode by 2015, had an expiring contract. Conflicted age- not quite old, but not quite young. 26. Freo probably thought he has hit his ceiling. But feel that De Boer’s best role could’ve been as an inside mid with huge tackling pressure. Those types are underrated. However we had Barlow, Suban, Mzungu already in there.
Mayne was another. He wasn’t going to get any better then what he was offering. His speed wasn’t fast enough anymore. Pressure football has more or less devolved over the years, have to also have talent in the small forward area.

Back