2019 Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

If Harley plays a full season, Ballaz plays well, along with Walters, the Hill brothers, Sandilands and our new recruits, we should have a better year. Apparently pre season has been much better. Let’s see it on the field.
After Apeness retirement due to his knee injuries, I have very Little expectation on Harley Bennell.

People were upset that Ballantyne got another season. I wasn't. He had to besigned for one more season despite being 32 in july this year. Some Thought Sandilands was done despite being 36 years old in 2019. People forget about our draft situation we only had picks 5,77,95 and 113 before trade week which was a 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th rounder.

We all know what Happened during trade week. we managed to bring in experienced players and managed to get a mid 1st , a mid 2nd and a mid 3rd rounder. We don't have the oldest list, we don't have the youngest, age wise we are in the middle. we have only 3 guys aged 30 or older (sandi, Ballas and mundy). We have a lot of kids aged 23 or under.

Its those blokes in that prime 24-29 year old bracket in Fyfe, Hills, Matera, Wilson, Hamling, Hogan, Lobb etc have to be the main guys to push Freo up the ladder.

I am sure like with most things you'll have people blaming the forwards and others blaming the mids - in truth I suspect most of us agree it is a bit of both. I think you'll find a lot of those that blame the mids primarily don't go to the games live and get to see how the whole team moves and instead rely on what they see on TV which is a zoomed in shot of someone kicking inside 50 and then panning to the ball not hitting a target. But the reality was (at least from the games I watched live - and I often moved to lvl 5 from my seat on lvl 3 just to get a broader view) that our forward line was terrible at keeping structure and timing their leads so the mids often had to try and pick the least worst of a bunch of bad options. I would have hated to be a mid with ball in hand running toward our forward line because my only option would be to pin point a pass to the advantage of a double or triple teamed forward whilst I'm running at full tilt before the guy coming up behind me nails me. Piece of cake huh? :)

What we really want is guys like Hogan, McCarthy, Bennell, Walters, even Cox marking just outside 50 (ie as half forwards) so they then have the time (even if they just wheel round) and space to find a leading forward inside 50 (or hand it off to a mid/forward running past to run it in). The probability of successfully executing the two scenarios above is vastly different (but we'll need to be able to execute both). Having better forward structure and timing will make both scenarios far easier and therefore more realistic than expecting our mids to be super human with their i50 entries whilst on the run.

I went to every home game last year mostly from Level 5 but I often moved around based on where my mates were. I’m basing my opinion on what I think I saw, which tbh was a team not spreading as well as other sides. That’s a midfield and forward line problem imo, given I think our defence did ok.

The problem with tackling pressure was just as bad in the midfield. Our first year kids could tackle but every other mid wasn’t what they should’ve been.

Anyway I saw plenty of options just outside fifty or a slightly risky option sideways (or 45 degrees or whatever) that were ignored for sixty metre bombs to outnumbers. I spent games watching just where our forwards were going and tbh I didn’t think it was that bad. There was certainly plenty of short options ignored for longer more obvious (both for the kicker and intercepters) options that were predictably marked with ease.

What we’ve got to do is use what speed and skill we do have. When Wilson, Ryan, Langdon, Walters, Mundy etc were involved in passages of play where they gained 80+ for us in a single passage of play we looked good going forward. When we were too slow or didn’t take any risk opposition defences outworked or outsmarted and our ball use looked diabolical at times. It wouldn’t have mattered who was forward then.

Midfielders having confidence in themselves and the forwards they were kicking to would help massively too. When you’re kicking to Cox or Walters every time, despite McCarthy, Ballantyne etc being in the team (and despite what everyone likes to think they weren’t in hopeless spots each time) being other options then there is your problem. It’s the kick it to Pav problem all over again only without the quality of Pav - hopefully Lobb is enough to stop it from becoming kick it to Hogan.

It seems to me that discussing whether the midfield or the forwards are responsible for our poor forward entries is letting the coaching panel off the hook.

Bombing it to the outnumber and the slingshot have been our going forward approaches ever since we have had Ross. 5+ years ago it may have been OK and suited our list and the way football was played.

Sure, there has been insufficient talent and/or experience on the park over the last couple of years, but there also seems to me to have been no attempt to try some different going forward tactics. If the players aren’t trying to do what is asked of them they should be dropped. If they are doing what is asked of them, there is a lack of imagination in the coaching panel.

I hope we see something a little more sophisticated going forward this year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-03/star-spearhead-hogan-is-not-the-saviour-says-lyon

"We're young, but that's exciting. We're building, we want to improve and we're aiming to play finals," Lyon said.
"But in saying that we fell off the cliff in 2016, played what we had, then went to the draft in 2017 and 2018, so it's still relatively early. From my view we improved last year and I expect us to improve again.
"We see really bright futures for Cerra, Brayshaw, Stefan Giro, Brennan Cox, Luke Ryan, Sean Darcy, Darcy Tucker, all those kind of guys.
"You hear the pressures of timeframe. Are you going to win? How long does a rebuild take? I'm not stuck on that, I know it takes time.
"But no one wants to win and improve quicker than I do and our players do. We're committed to that, we want it to happen quickly, but I understand there are going to be some ups and downs."

I went to every home game last year mostly from Level 5 but I often moved around based on where my mates were. I’m basing my opinion on what I think I saw, which tbh was a team not spreading as well as other sides. That’s a midfield and forward line problem imo, given I think our defence did ok.

The problem with tackling pressure was just as bad in the midfield. Our first year kids could tackle but every other mid wasn’t what they should’ve been.

Anyway I saw plenty of options just outside fifty or a slightly risky option sideways (or 45 degrees or whatever) that were ignored for sixty metre bombs to outnumbers. I spent games watching just where our forwards were going and tbh I didn’t think it was that bad. There was certainly plenty of short options ignored for longer more obvious (both for the kicker and intercepters) options that were predictably marked with ease.

What we’ve got to do is use what speed and skill we do have. When Wilson, Ryan, Langdon, Walters, Mundy etc were involved in passages of play where they gained 80+ for us in a single passage of play we looked good going forward. When we were too slow or didn’t take any risk opposition defences outworked or outsmarted and our ball use looked diabolical at times. It wouldn’t have mattered who was forward then.

Midfielders having confidence in themselves and the forwards they were kicking to would help massively too. When you’re kicking to Cox or Walters every time, despite McCarthy, Ballantyne etc being in the team (and despite what everyone likes to think they weren’t in hopeless spots each time) being other options then there is your problem. It’s the kick it to Pav problem all over again only without the quality of Pav - hopefully Lobb is enough to stop it from becoming kick it to Hogan.
Fair enough and I agree with a lot of this but I'm sticking with our forward line being absolutely terrible in past seasons and not being able to weasel out with the "but... it's the mids fault" excuse.

Even with the "Kick it to Pav" thing I think that was more about the other options being useless rather than the passers being biased. I honestly don't think a person under pressure is deliberately not going to pass to someone unless they aren't in a very good position to receive the ball (eg the kick to them is difficult/risky), or the passer has zero confidence in their ability to either mark it or do something with it if they give it to them. Whose fault is that really? Pav got the ball kicked to him a lot because he was the only one leading, and the players had confidence in him (because he earned it).

It really annoys me when players get in a huff because they were open and nobody kicked it to them. How often did you see Pav do that throughout his career when someone missed seeing him? In every sport I have ever played or coached I always put the onus on the receiver to take responsibility. The receiver should do their best to help the passer and not the other way around. This over the top expectation from players like Ballantyne who do nothing but the same 'ol try and get out the back of their defender and then have hands on hips when the ball doesn't get to them is irritating. I don't ever see the top teams and their forward lines relying on that as the primary way to score. Their forwards lead and lead again and again and again and make sure the person with the ball has somewhere to go (in all directions). It's unrealistic to expect someone under pressure to be aware of where the other 35 players are on the field are all at - of course they are going to miss seeing someone open on a 45 or out the back at times. The receiver on the other hand has far less to think about and should not only be trying to get open but doing it in a way that makes it easier for the person with the ball. Good forwards get kicked to a lot because they work hard to find space continuously and lead to make it easier for the kicker - ours haven't been - I'm hoping that will change this season and give our mids a chance.

You have seen the stupid stuff People have posted about freo on the main board regarding where freo will finish on the ladder.

I just went in there on a drunken tirade on that thread. Went all Tough man tony abbott on that thread too.

so in each of the last 2 seasons, we got 8 wins, 14 losses and 14th spot. Every person and their dog know that Freo need quality forwards and we got them in Hogan and Lobb.

So we went from having the worst forward line in the AFL, Possibly in the history of the AFL, to a semi decent forward set up.

However, Some neutrals not only predicted us to go backwards, but to finish I the bottom 4. Some of them predicted us to finish in the bottom 2 or with the wooden spoon.

Oh and heres another thing. So many people have moaned about the Home Ground Advantage. Freo have 12 home games in which Freo should win at least 6, More than enough to avoid the spoon if Carlton repeat that 2-20 season effort again.

I called it Bigfooty Bastardization.

I seriously asked this question.... How on earth are Freo tipped or the Wooden spoon by some people?

Maybe because it clearly gets to you?

If Harley plays a full season, Ballaz plays well, along with Walters, the Hill brothers, Sandilands and our new recruits, we should have a better year. Apparently pre season has been much better. Let’s see it on the field.
I just don’t put Ballantyne in the best 22 any longer, regardless. Would struggle for best 25

It seems to me that discussing whether the midfield or the forwards are responsible for our poor forward entries is letting the coaching panel off the hook.

Bombing it to the outnumber and the slingshot have been our going forward approaches ever since we have had Ross. 5+ years ago it may have been OK and suited our list and the way football was played.

Sure, there has been insufficient talent and/or experience on the park over the last couple of years, but there also seems to me to have been no attempt to try some different going forward tactics. If the players aren’t trying to do what is asked of them they should be dropped. If they are doing what is asked of them, there is a lack of imagination in the coaching panel.

Spot on but I wouldn’t put any money on the last bit happening. The get it in long and deep quickly will be seen even more now we have some marking targets.

Spot on but I wouldn’t put any money on the last bit happening. The get it in long and deep quickly will be seen even more now we have some marking targets.

It would take nothing other than holding 6 ahead of the ball and trusting our defenders a bit more. Our midfield could drop back and push forward with a bit more vigor, their work rate back was poor IMO. Melbourne coped with a weakened defense by pushing Gawn back into the hole. That doesn’t suit us with Sandilands or Darcy. They don’t have the mobility. We need our midfielders plugging holes, preferably the taller sort. Though that limits their ability to push forward. It’s a fine balance.

Just looking at the premiers and how they control the tempo, their forwards kick inwards, either a chip kick or
To the other wing. The chip kick gives them time for a contested mark previously in the play to get forward or
The longer kick to open play on the other side.
We on the other hand look like we are on speed, play on and kick long to a congested forward line, intercept marks
Must think we are slow learners of the game.
We have lost the tenacity, locking the ball in the forward half, pressure acts that create turnovers, scores and we
Do not have a clue how to play team footy in the forward line.
Hogan and Lobb will suit our style better, but will we still look clunky rather than smooth, natural fluidity?
The mids we have now can control the tempo, smarts, Cerra, Brayshaw, Valente, with Mundy will help, are there
Any others? Let's hope Ross lets the players play their natural game to advantage.

The talent makes a big difference though, we lacked in talent/experiences/balance for most of the forward positions, which is disastrous in a team sport - if only there was antonym for the word synergy... Even a bad defense by the opposition was going to school us, as few teams fielded a worse defense line than our forward line.

If you only get the basics right occasionally, you are never going to do anything elaborate successfully, which is why we have it simple and bomb the ball forward and hope that midfielders have the time to start arriving to help out.

What if the plan for the right players was always in the works from a long way out so keeping the game plan developing for that, rather than changing the style twice, might not be a terrible idea. If if if though.

You have seen the stupid stuff People have posted about freo on the main board regarding where freo will finish on the ladder.

I just went in there on a drunken tirade on that thread. Went all Tough man tony abbott on that thread too.

so in each of the last 2 seasons, we got 8 wins, 14 losses and 14th spot. Every person and their dog know that Freo need quality forwards and we got them in Hogan and Lobb.

So we went from having the worst forward line in the AFL, Possibly in the history of the AFL, to a semi decent forward set up.

However, Some neutrals not only predicted us to go backwards, but to finish I the bottom 4. Some of them predicted us to finish in the bottom 2 or with the wooden spoon.

Oh and heres another thing. So many people have moaned about the Home Ground Advantage. Freo have 12 home games in which Freo should win at least 6, More than enough to avoid the spoon if Carlton repeat that 2-20 season effort again.

I called it Bigfooty Bastardization.

I seriously asked this question.... How on earth are Freo tipped or the Wooden spoon by some people?

May be worth asking yourself why you are letting them trigger you into an argument. :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won 8 games in 2018.

I would say there is a 60% chance we would win about 11 games based on list / age progression. (Say 8 home, 3 away).

About a 20% chance we could win 13ish games. (9 home, 4 away?)

And the other 20% that we go to either extreme (bottom 4, top 4).

Something has certainly changed over the last three years to make things less predictable.

now that JLT is over i think I would revise my prediction to 7-9 wins for the year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see the games as fitting into three bands.

Your easiest 8 games
You basically have to win 7 or 8 of these to start thinking about finals.

Your middle 8 games
These are the ones that place you in or out of the 8. If you can win 5 or 6 of them, added to your easier wins, you should play finals.

Your hardest 6 games
These are the games that put you in or out of the top 4, provided you are winning the easier games.

It is pretty hard to determine the exact order of the games and plenty of them could be moved up or down. But I will try anyway...

Easiest 8 (in declining order)
R18: v Sydney (Optus Stadium), Sat July 20
R10: v Brisbane Lions (Optus Stadium), Sun May 26
R19: v Western Bulldogs (Marvel Stadium), Sun July 28
R3: v St Kilda (Optus Stadium), Sun April 7
R2: v Gold Coast (Metricon Stadium), Sun March 31
R6: v Western Bulldogs (Optus Stadium), Sat April 27
R1: v North Melbourne (Optus Stadium), Sun March 24
R15: v Carlton (Optus Stadium), Sun June 30

Heavily focused toward home games and obviously clubs that are tipped to be at the lower end of the ladder. Interestingly the first three games are in this group. We could go 3-0 and still not have indicated that we are headed for the 8. Losing games that fit in this bracket is a bad sign.

middle 8 games (in declining order)
R7: v Adelaide (Adelaide Oval), Sun May 5
R8: v Richmond (Optus Stadium), Sun May 12
R5: v GWS Giants (UNSW Canberra), Sat April 20
R23: v Port Adelaide (Adelaide Oval), TBC
R20: v Geelong (Optus Stadium), Sat Aug 3
R21: v St Kilda (Marvel Stadium), Sun Aug 11
R22: v Essendon (Optus Stadium), Sat Aug 17
R13: v Port Adelaide (Optus Stadium), Sat June 15

Again, really hard to predict. If these are the 8 games that dictate whether or not we sneak into the 8 then rounds 20, 21, 22 and 23 are the crunch time.

The 6 Hardest games (in declining order)
R11: v Collingwood (MCG), Sat June 1
R14: v Melbourne (MCG), Sat June 22
R17: v Hawthorn (UTAS Stadium), Sat July 13
R4: v West Coast (Optus Stadium), Sat April 13
R16: v West Coast (Optus Stadium), Sat July 6
R9: v Essendon (Marvel Stadium), Sun May 18

Not seeming to be that relevant to our 2019 campaign but these games determine your top 4 chances if you are winning the easier games.

My honest tip for the year is to win about 6 from the bottom group, 1 - 3 from the middle group and at a long shot, maybe jag one of the derbies. 7 - 9 wins.

Good analyses Basashi. I was just thinking earlier about teams we could confidently plan on beating and all I could come up with was Gold Coast and maybe Carlton.
Saints are probably 50/50, ditto North and Dogs.
Brisbane have probably gone past us as have Essendon although we match up well with them for some reason.
Who knows with Port they are a bit of an enigma.
The rest we are behind. I think 6 wins is realistic.
If there was any chance of Bennell, S Hill and Sandi playing much footy this year we'd be a better show.

now that JLT is over i think I would revise my prediction to 7-9 wins for the year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see the games as fitting into three bands.

Your easiest 8 games
You basically have to win 7 or 8 of these to start thinking about finals.

Your middle 8 games
These are the ones that place you in or out of the 8. If you can win 5 or 6 of them, added to your easier wins, you should play finals.

Your hardest 6 games
These are the games that put you in or out of the top 4, provided you are winning the easier games.

It is pretty hard to determine the exact order of the games and plenty of them could be moved up or down. But I will try anyway...

Easiest 8 (in declining order)
R18: v Sydney (Optus Stadium), Sat July 20
R10: v Brisbane Lions (Optus Stadium), Sun May 26
R19: v Western Bulldogs (Marvel Stadium), Sun July 28
R3: v St Kilda (Optus Stadium), Sun April 7
R2: v Gold Coast (Metricon Stadium), Sun March 31
R6: v Western Bulldogs (Optus Stadium), Sat April 27
R1: v North Melbourne (Optus Stadium), Sun March 24
R15: v Carlton (Optus Stadium), Sun June 30

Heavily focused toward home games and obviously clubs that are tipped to be at the lower end of the ladder. Interestingly the first three games are in this group. We could go 3-0 and still not have indicated that we are headed for the 8. Losing games that fit in this bracket is a bad sign.

middle 8 games (in declining order)
R7: v Adelaide (Adelaide Oval), Sun May 5
R8: v Richmond (Optus Stadium), Sun May 12
R5: v GWS Giants (UNSW Canberra), Sat April 20
R23: v Port Adelaide (Adelaide Oval), TBC
R20: v Geelong (Optus Stadium), Sat Aug 3
R21: v St Kilda (Marvel Stadium), Sun Aug 11
R22: v Essendon (Optus Stadium), Sat Aug 17
R13: v Port Adelaide (Optus Stadium), Sat June 15

Again, really hard to predict. If these are the 8 games that dictate whether or not we sneak into the 8 then rounds 20, 21, 22 and 23 are the crunch time.

The 6 Hardest games (in declining order)
R11: v Collingwood (MCG), Sat June 1
R14: v Melbourne (MCG), Sat June 22
R17: v Hawthorn (UTAS Stadium), Sat July 13
R4: v West Coast (Optus Stadium), Sat April 13
R16: v West Coast (Optus Stadium), Sat July 6
R9: v Essendon (Marvel Stadium), Sun May 18

Not seeming to be that relevant to our 2019 campaign but these games determine your top 4 chances if you are winning the easier games.

My honest tip for the year is to win about 6 from the bottom group, 1 - 3 from the middle group and at a long shot, maybe jag one of the derbies. 7 - 9 wins.

I disagree with a lot of the way you’ve ranked these teams but the general idea is good.

St Kilda is winnable anywhere.
Brisbane don’t have us off the bye this year.
Hawthorn could be bottom six.
Same with Port.
Sydney won’t drop as much as people think if at all.
GWS never lose in Canberra. Less winnable than a derby imo although the eagles will finish higher.
Gold Coast are next levels of Shite and are the easiest game anywhere.

It’s a tough call but with the injury list we have which will get worse before it gets better I have serious doubts we’ll be anywhere but bottom 4.

Really I feel if we don’t win at least 2 out of our first 3 I think we’ll be bottom 2.

My expectations have taken a hit..mainly because of the injury front but also because of the fact that Lyon is still the same ol Ross.

As Mark Duffield pointed out the other day, while the Eagles train for skills "to within an inch of their lives" the Dockers are all about structure.

Duffield attends both club's training and I reckon he is the most reliable of all WA footy journos. What this tells me is that Ross is still about a rigid game plan with little room for flair. When I heard that Sturt was being played in defence I just about gave up all hope. You have just recruited a gifted young forward or midfielder? Of course you would always turn him into a dour half back flanker. Every time.

As with the injuries, it is my observation that once a seasons starts to be affected by injuries it never turns around during that season. This season has turned into a mess before the first game even and it aint going to get better IMHO.

In short I am expecting nothing from this season except 5 -6 scappy wins, some games into youth and the possibility that we will finally see the back of Lyon and Weber.

My expectations have taken a hit..mainly because of the injury front but also because of the fact that Lyon is still the same ol Ross.

As Mark Duffield pointed out the other day, while the Eagles train for skills "to within an inch of their lives" the Dockers are all about structure.

Duffield attends both club's training and I reckon he is the most reliable of all WA footy journos. What this tells me is that Ross is still about a rigid game plan with little room for flair. When I heard that Sturt was being played in defence I just about gave up all hope. You have just recruited a gifted young forward or midfielder? Of course you would always turn him into a dour half back flanker. Every time.

As with the injuries, it is my observation that once a seasons starts to be affected by injuries it never turns around during that season. This season has turned into a mess before the first game even and it aint going to get better IMHO.

In short I am expecting nothing from this season except 5 -6 scappy wins, some games into youth and the possibility that we will finally see the back of Lyon and Weber.
Nah, Duffield's as perception driven as anyone else. He's come up with this theory on skills and he's sticking to it come what may and I reckon that puts a significant filter in what he sees. Classic example mid last year citing Freo's goal-kicking as lacking behind everyone else, especially WC, yet their goal accuracy stats were about upper mid table when I checked them (and from memory above WC's at the time).

Was feeling really positive in December but hard not to be feeling pessimistic now. A massive injury list and what looks like (once again) a fairly poor general skill level have sapped my confidence.

Would love to be wrong, but fearing another disastrous season. If we don’t win ag least 2 of the first 3, pressure will be on everyone.

Was feeling really positive in December but hard not to be feeling pessimistic now. A massive injury list and what looks like (once again) a fairly poor general skill level have sapped my confidence.

Would love to be wrong, but fearing another disastrous season. If we don’t win ag least 2 of the first 3, pressure will be on everyone.
Given the significant ins over the off-season, I don't think all hinges on the initial few rounds (as juicy as they seem in comparison to the rest of the draw). There's likely a bit of time required to gel and while it would be handy to start off on a winning note for confidence sake, I'd expect form swings ala Essendon and Port last year.

Given the significant ins over the off-season, I don't think all hinges on the initial few rounds (as juicy as they seem in comparison to the rest of the draw). There's likely a bit of time required to gel and while it would be handy to start off on a winning note for confidence sake, I'd expect form swings ala Essendon and Port last year.

Good points and you’re probably right. Particularly because I reckon there will be a few other teams who are really hard to get a gauge on this season.

My family always tell me I’m not completely rational with my views on footy! I’m reminded of that Simpson’s episode where Homer is at the baseball and says something along the lines of “ hurry up and lose so we can go home and whinge about you”.

my expectations are decreasing with every additional injury. The only upside is the thought of Darcy-Fyfe-Mundy-Conca-Brayshaw-Cerra in the middle for R1, with still basically our best back 6, and Hogan-Lobb-Tabs-Walters in the forward line against another depleted team, at Optus. I mean, it can't go that bad, can it?...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back