Preview R1 - Port Adelaide @ Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Normally, when I do a match preview, it's filled with inspirational quotes, clips from movies and other useless s**t that tries to inspire people to get up for the game against the opposition.

Not this year. If you're not inspired by the way we played against North, there's something dreadfully wrong.

Here's my preview: we're going to ******* win. And we're going to ******* win huge. Why? Because our game style is exactly what Melbourne hates. They are a contested ball winning team...they base their entire game style around being first to the ball at stoppages.

But if you run and spread effectively and make it about work rate, taking uncontested marks across the field...guess what happens to contested possession? It becomes useless. That's not to say we don't win the ball when it's there to be won, but if we can take away the strength of players like Viney and Oliver by taking them out of the conversation when it comes to retaining possession, and expand the field the way we did against North Melbourne at Alberton, there is absolutely no reason why we can't win this game.

Take a look at what Collingwood did to Melbourne when they met last year. That's the sort of style I'm talking about.

To do this, we need a few things:

1. We need Ryder. Lycett is a solid ruck, but if Gawn gets first use of the ball at clearances all the time, their midfield is going to cut us up. Ryder gives us a point of difference in the centre square and around the ground to make Gawn have to adjust his strategy every time. It'll also wear him down.

2. If Wines is fit, he plays. I like Drew and I think he'll be a great player for us, but Ollie is on another level to him.

3. Broadbent/McKenzie needs to replace Lienert. Some will say Howard, but the reality is that if we're losing clearances we're going to concede goals regardless, and Howard isn't exactly the best one on one or intercept mark we have at this stage. Either Broadbent or McKenzie gives us the ability to switch across the wide ground of the MCG and will push the Demon defence back, which opens up space for our defenders to push up the ground and exert pressure.

Everything else...just play like we have been. This will be like playing Fremantle in R1 of 2007. Remember that game? When the Dockers had made a preliminary final the year before against the Swans, and everyone was talking them up as being the next big thing? A ten goal third quarter from Port Adelaide put paid to that little dream.

These campaigners think they've already got top four locked up. We know first hand that just because you made a prelim the year before, doesn't mean you're going to make a prelim the following year.

It's time to stop worrying about what others will do. That's why I couldn't give two flying *s about match ups, opposition players or anything like that. It's all irrelevant. You want the prison bars back? I want that Port Adelaide swagger back.

To me, that is more Port Adelaide than any other tradition we have.

Melbourne at MCG is always a difficult match for us, I just think they win if they play at their best, but they have a bigger gap between perfect footy and puerile footy than we do, even within games.

We need to take full advantage of the periods in the game where they drop off to win. Both teams missing key players, but if Ollie and Charlie are out, we will miss them more than JKH, Harmes and May for them.

Dees by 30

Wines won’t play, and the chances are Paddy won’t either. We haven’t seen Port defend yet this year and we won’t this week either. May out is good for us, but it won’t stop us getting pulverised in the middle. Before teams have had a chance to figure out how to defend centre clearances is a bad time to play Melbourne. We won’t get the easy ball we’ve seen so far, and we will concede lots of goals against. Melbourne by 40 or 50.

Melbourne at MCG is always a difficult match for us, I just think they win if they play at their best, but they have a bigger gap between perfect footy and puerile footy than we do, even within games.

We need to take full advantage of the periods in the game where they drop off to win. Both teams missing key players, but if Ollie and Charlie are out, we will miss them more than JKH, Harmes and May for them.

Dees by 30

It's difficult when we try to play that contested Sydney style that played into their strengths. If we were still getting around trying to out bully opponents I'd agree with you, but we're not doing that this year from what I've seen. It's more a focused attack on the ball rather than blunt force trauma.

It's difficult when we try to play that contested Sydney style that played into their strengths. If we were still getting around trying to out bully opponents I'd agree with you, but we're not doing that this year from what I've seen. It's more a focused attack on the ball rather than blunt force trauma.
We are going to get belted in the middle and not know how to stop it.

Melbourne at MCG is always a difficult match for us ....
Is it? Do you have any stats on that?
Last one I remember without some memory jogging research was Ollie Wines' first game where we flogged them. Most of our away games v them in recent years have been at one of the NT venues.

It's time to stop worrying about what others will do. That's why I couldn't give two flying ****s about match ups, opposition players or anything like that. It's all irrelevant. You want the prison bars back? I want that Port Adelaide swagger back.
This is the probably worst match preview I've ever read, but I've gotta give it to you - I love the swagger :thumbsu:

Tredders said earlier today that Ryder is a certainty to play
That would really help. But only for a small part of the game. So far we have shown nothing in defense. Particularly against the Dees, and particularly early in the season before it has been figured out, if we can’t win the ball in the guts we will get smashed. I just can’t see us doing that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dees by 30
JKH isn't best 22, and Harmes is looking likely to play given it was a compound fracture of the finger rather than ligament damage. Lever, May, Hannan are probably the only three missing that would have played if available.

Jetta, McDonald, Hore
Salem, Frost, Hibberd
Harmes, Brayshaw, Fritsch
Petracca, Weideman, Melksham
Spargo, McDonald, vandenBerg
Gawn, Oliver, Viney
Jones, Lewis, Hunt, Neal-Bullen

That's how I'm expecting the Dees to go into this one. Preuss may play now that May is unavailable, so Gawn can drop into the hole more often, but he was pretty shite in pre-season. Joel Smith will play ahead of one of Spargo or Hunt if he gets up in time.

Is it? Do you have any stats on that?
Last one I remember without some memory jogging research was Ollie Wines' first game where we flogged them. Most of our away games v them in recent years have been at one of the NT venues.
No research, just a feeling. I know our last visit to the G was less than satisfying...

Karl Amon impressed me with his tackling intensity and ball use on the weekend, coming to you port supporters to see if he's a chance to be in the 22(involved in a very deep draft fantasy league 18 teams pick 25 players each). I figure there's a spot available on the wing since polec left, looks like amon and duursma are the front runners?? anyway any help would be much appreciated. Hope you guys smash the dees for what it's worth, they're getting way too cocky.

On Amon he seemed to have a far better year in 2017, any ideas what went wrong? or is he just a level below AFL footy?

Karl Amon impressed me with his tackling intensity and ball use on the weekend, coming to you port supporters to see if he's a chance to be in the 22(involved in a very deep draft fantasy league 18 teams pick 25 players each). I figure there's a spot available on the wing since polec left, looks like amon and duursma are the front runners?? anyway any help would be much appreciated. Hope you guys smash the dees for what it's worth, they're getting way too cocky.

On Amon he seemed to have a far better year in 2017, any ideas what went wrong? or is he just a level below AFL footy?
He will never play and you shouldn’t bother with him for you Dream Team/SuperCoach team.

On Amon he seemed to have a far better year in 2017, any ideas what went wrong? or is he just a level below AFL foty?

Surprised many with his two pre-season games and looks to have locked up a round one spot, IMO anyway.

He had a few injuries last year and just looked rusty when he was in the side. His disposal sometimes lets him down and there have been questions around his toughness around the ball, but he looks to have improved on both over the off-season.

.... On Amon he seemed to have a far better year in 2017, any ideas what went wrong? or is he just a level below AFL foty?
The negative
Amon's 2017 was a pretty 'Meh!' year were he'd often get around 20 disposals but have no visible effect on the game in the 13 AFL games he played. In hindsight seemed to be putting in more effort in 2018 but it seemed his cards were marked and he only got 6 games.
I honestly can't remember if injury was responsible for the reduced number of games in either of those years but in any event this is the last year of his contract, and if it hadn't included 2019 I doubt it would have been extended. I reckon the club was open about him being one of the players shopped around for trading but if that's true clearly there were no takers.
The positive
He's an AFL level player, you saw it in patches over the past 4 or so years. His pre-season has been really good, to the extent he's a reasonable chance for this game.

Nowhere to hide, a matchup like this is exactly what we need, a tough opponent coming off their best season in 20 years.

We'll be on the back foot, the Demons of last year were a tough, contested team who could play unsocial footy with good key position players at both ends.

Ken's 'what and why' musings, the gameplan tweaking, list trades, the co-captaincy - the credibility of all our decision making and probing in the off-season will be under scrutiny and will be somewhat answered in how we perform in this game.

The last time we played Melbourne at the G' in R1 was back in 2013. There was a real freshness to our list back then with 6 debutants lining up for us on the day and a new coach.

I'd like to see that same lead-in here, build up the game internally and back in the kids like Duursma, Butters and give them some responsibility.

I want to see some unpredictable and brave footy, a bit of gutso and the youngters to stand up and the new faces to prove they wanna play for our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back