2019 Rookie Watch

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
This is a very interesting option. I think he will average a price to bump him up to around 450k......worth considering
Considering the lack of forward rookies, I think he's an option

In Supercoach I like him down back though as defence is slightly deeper in that format, so D4 there

His 2017 season was all over the shop scoring wise, but it did seem he improved as the year went on, regularly scoring in the 65-95 range after averaging only 40 the first month (and a 14 late in the year, dunno if injured or just an aberration).

If he stays fit he should average 60-70, his fantasy averages were improving every year aside from last where he was injured

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rank these options based on what we hav in front of us (including score and TOG from JLT)
Ill need 2 of these, 3 if I had to have Burgess in defence if Hore/Scrimshaw not named. Scary thoughts

Burgess: 61 (68%), 33 (86%) - combined average 47 (77%)
Balta: 98 (66%), 43 (76%) - combined average 70.5 (71%)
Parker: 56 (81%), 33 (75%) - - combined average 44.5 (78%)
Petrecculle: 39 (62%), 71 (74%) - combined average 55 (68%)
Brander: 41 (67%), 69 (76%) - combined average 55 (72%)
Miers: 73 (87%), 52 (44%) - combined average 62.5 (66%)

I have left of Drew as I think he is a standout over these guys, likewise Setterfield as another standout and also difference price point. These guys though are all interchangeable.

Don't think I missed any of the other alternatives in that line at that 150kish price

Last edited:

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Obviously McCarthy an expensive option now, but what about Darcy Moore at an even 300k?

Popular in Supercoach at the moment as he's 239k there and people are struggling for a D4/F4 as their cash is going to midfield plus Gawndy, but his DPP could be handy with Burgess for a swing
I did actually mention Moore as an option a couple of months ago and got laughed down as being ridiculous.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Rank these options based on what we hav in front of us (including score and TOG from JLT)
Ill need 2 of these, 3 if I had to have Burgess in defence if Hore/Scrimshaw not named. Scary thoughts

Burgess: 61 (68%), 33 (86%) - combined average 47 (77%)
Balta: 98 (66%), 43 (76%) - combined average 70.5 (71%)
Parker: 56 (81%), 33 (75%) - - combined average 44.5 (78%)
Petrecculle: 39 (62%), 71 (74%) - combined average 55 (68%)
Brander: 41 (67%), 69 (76%) - combined average 55 (72%)

I have left of Drew as I think he is a standout over these guys, likewise Setterfield as another standout and also difference price point. These guys though are all interchangeable.

Don't think I missed any of the other alternatives in that line at that 150kish price
I agree with your comment about Drew however melanChronic seems quite confident that his js is poor. Even if he is named round 1 he could get the flick when Wines returns hence he only plays 1 or 2 games and we get no cash increase. Writeup in today's Herald Sun suggests that the Tiges will continue with Balta - at least till Grigg returns which is a few weeks away.
Is Brander an option at West Coast?

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree with your comment about Drew however melanChronic seems quite confident that his js is poor. Even if he is named round 1 he could get the flick when Wines returns hence he only plays 1 or 2 games and we get no cash increase. Writeup in today's Herald Sun suggests that the Tiges will continue with Balta - at least till Grigg returns which is a few weeks away.
If drew is named I think you have to take the gamble.

Brander tbh I don’t know a lot about

Balta an interesting one, his ave stands out but heavily boosted by that 1 game.

Pet seems to have good JS

Burgess worries me but JS looks strong early, favourable draw gives scoring some chance and dpp an added bonus.

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If drew is named I think you have to take the gamble.

Brander tbh I don’t know a lot about

Balta an interesting one, his ave stands out but heavily boosted by that 1 game.

Pet seems to have good JS

Burgess worries me but JS looks strong early, favourable draw gives scoring some chance and dpp an added bonus.

Drew might well be worth the risk because he will definitely play a number of games this year at some point. With the FWD/MID you could almost carry him for a bit early, but might be too much hassle with all the other rookie trouble it looks like we are bound to have.

TealPastures

Debutant
Mar 14, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Drew might well be worth the risk because he will definitely play a number of games this year at some point. With the FWD/MID you could almost carry him for a bit early, but might be too much hassle with all the other rookie trouble it looks like we are bound to have.

Could be a Dan Houston situation of 2017, was in rd1 with the expectation that he'd be straight back out but ended up being one of the rookie picks of the year.
Who knows, Drew could tear it up and play every game this year. With the rookie headache it's prob worth taking the risk knowing Ken's love for the young guys.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Could be a Dan Houston situation of 2017, was in rd1 with the expectation that he'd be straight back out but ended up being one of the rookie picks of the year.
Who knows, Drew could tear it up and play every game this year. With the rookie headache it's prob worth taking the risk knowing Ken's love for the young guys.
I think with Polec, Wingard and Pittard all traded out, there's opportunities available for whoever puts their hand up

Hartlett and Wines injured too who'll come back in eventually, but should still be spots in the team for whoever works hard for it

Still quite a few known commodities in the squad like your Sam Gray types who are also lurking around for selection who should only be depth players, so if these kids offer a point of difference then you'd think you persist with the kids.

Jul 3, 2011
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man U, Jays, GS Warriors, Packers
Brander is not an option in my opinion as Oscar Allen is way ahead of Brander at the moment. I can only see one of them getting games and it will be Ozzie being the back up to Kennedy and Darling.

Sep 24, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Phili Eagles + Sixers
Brander is not an option in my opinion as Oscar Allen is way ahead of Brander at the moment. I can only see one of them getting games and it will be Ozzie being the back up to Kennedy and Darling.

B: Hurn Barrass Shep
HB: Jetta Gov Duggan
I: Cole

That's the more relevant area of the ground for Brander atm imo.

Don't get me wrong, I think he looks very promising as a forward or defender but on preseason form as a forward you go to Allen (as shown on the weekend with Brander playing more down back).

With Sheppard in doubt maybe he gets a gig round 1 as a 3rd tall defender (against Lions? Doubt it).

But then again he appears to be very highly rated and WC generally aren't afraid to go tall. I just think that the new zone rules will mean we don't go with 3 tall defenders.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Just checked the injury lists

The main relevant ones were as such

Freos and Norths lists are pretty large at the moment, hopefully this bodes well for Bewley, Scott and at a pinch LDU if anyone punts on him for early games

Gold Coast have a few out too now, so we might see more rookies pop up there/have some early downgrade rookies from there

Balta might get a crack at it for about a month now

Lynch is listed as 2-4 weeks away, but does he play VFL first? Grigg is listed as indefinite (expected back before the byes though) and Caddy is 3-7 weeks away. This helps Baltas JS temporarily as a relief ruck

Slipps

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Just checked the injury lists

The main relevant ones were as such

Freos and Norths lists are pretty large at the moment, hopefully this bodes well for Bewley, Scott and at a pinch LDU if anyone punts on him for early games

Gold Coast have a few out too now, so we might see more rookies pop up there/have some early downgrade rookies from there

Balta might get a crack at it for about a month now

Lynch is listed as 2-4 weeks away, but does he play VFL first? Grigg is listed as indefinite (expected back before the byes though) and Caddy is 3-7 weeks away. This helps Baltas JS temporarily as a relief ruck

Then plan for Balta is to pinch hit in the ruck with Nank and phase Grigg out.. Grigg hasnt even been guaranteed game time this year even if fit.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Then plan for Balta is to pinch hit in the ruck with Nank and phase Grigg out.. Grigg hasnt even been guaranteed game time this year even if fit.
Sounds good

I'd much prefer Balta onfield compared to a Petrucelle or Parker type

Depends where I put Drew in really though too

If I need Drew in midfield because a few rookies weren't named round 1 then Balta would be F6, if Drew is forward then it's a Balta/Drew raffle at F6-7

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Is Ridley the real deal? Sure, his JLT form was good but he did nothing in 2018 to suggest he would be a viable option this year.
What can our Essendon people tell us?

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is Ridley the real deal? Sure, his JLT form was good but he did nothing in 2018 to suggest he would be a viable option this year.
What can our Essendon people tell us?
on their forum in a thread dedicated to him they seem to be sold, although some saying Gleeson will take his spot although those calls seemingly reaching over the course of JLT.

Its an interesting situation ridley V Hanley

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2011
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man U, Jays, GS Warriors, Packers
Ridley has played a grand total of 3 games and scored 89, 46 and 27, His price of $270k is just too high to even be considered with that level of experience and output.

I've had Hanley in the past and loved his 120+ games and hated his 30's, 40's and 50's. Now with added injuries and playing for a team he's hardly played for, I just don't see him as a viable DT option. $345k is again just too much for the risk for mine. Adding in multiple players like this who fail could really set your entire season back.

Tex Danger

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
assuming named rd 1, who makes most-least money? breakeven as per RDT assistant coach in brackets

Hanley (50)
Cousins (42)
Ridley (39)
Walsh (36)
Butters (28)
Clark (26)
Scrimshaw (25)
Duursam (24)
Constable (23)
Scott (22)
Hore (22)
Atkins (21)
Gibbons (19)

Ill have a crack at my order and predicted average...

Scott 60 = +38
Constable 60 = +37
Clark 62 = +36
Cousins 78 = +36
Duursma 60 = +36
Walsh 70 = +34
Scrimshaw 58 = +33
Ridley 72 = +33
Butters 61 = +33
Hanley 82 = +32
Atkins 53 = +32
Hore 53 = +31
Gibbons 50 = +31

Agechamp

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone got js thoughts on Atkins vs Scott?

Thinking of running,
Gibbons, Atkins, Scott on bench
Constable, Walsh, butters on field instead of having Libba.

Back