Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Does the girl participation thing actually help our hinder the SANFL? On one hand it will probably open the up to more govt grants etc, but on the other, will it stretch their finances?
I had a chat to a SANFL Commissioner on Monday night about this very issue. He is one of true independent Commissioner's with no allegiances to any SANFL club and was appointed by the Commission, not voted on by the 8 league clubs. He said its a huge problem for the SANFL as there is probably $200m that has to be spent over the next decade to build all these facilities. I said to him, if the SANFL get their documentation right, they will get most of that from the governments - all 3 levels. I said I'm happy to help him. I guess I will wait and see what comes next.

Without straying too far off topic, the SMA (and other AFL stadiums) need to look at getting other alternatives rather than the CUB/West End crap that's forced on you if you want a beer at the football. You could get someone like Pirate Life in the stadium with a few bars around the place and charge $12-13 a beer. People that appreciate good beer would pay the prices and the SMA would still make a very good cut from it. The majority of people that have a beer at the footy would still drink West End and Super Dry.

Having a couple of bars in the stadium pouring Pirate Life, Big Shed, Little Bang etc would be brilliant. But this sort of forward thinking is beyond anyone who is involved in the place. Peter Hurley has become a rich man by selling s**t to stupid people, why would his influence be anything positive.

Trewth

shootin from the lip
Mar 21, 2011
amongst the rabble
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Knicks, Canucks, Raiders, St Pauli
Without straying too far off topic, the SMA (and other AFL stadiums) need to look at getting other alternatives rather than the CUB/West End crap that's forced on you if you want a beer at the football. You could get someone like Pirate Life in the stadium with a few bars around the place and charge $12-13 a beer. People that appreciate good beer would pay the prices and the SMA would still make a very good cut from it. The majority of people that have a beer at the footy would still drink West End and Super Dry.

After all this s**t the SMA has pulled, they could get Monkish or Other Half in and I’d still be reluctant to give them any money.

Neither is Pirate Life, it's owned by CUB

This is true. At least the beers have some connection to SA though.

James Squires at the footy and XXXX at the cricket are sad indictments of SA's small mindedness.

Now Daniels is arguing about 2019 - not past history.

https://indaily.com.au/news/2019/03...rrilous-disgraceful-adelaide-oval-management/
Stadium Management Authority CEO Andrew Daniels told ABC Radio Adelaide this morning: “It is the most scurrilous, outrageous, disgraceful accusation I have ever heard in my entire career.” “Why Keith said it yesterday I have no idea. I honestly have no idea. It is totally wrong,” he said. “The reason the Game Day Village is not happening this year is because the Memorial Drive Tennis Stadium is being redeveloped with a new roof going over the top, that has nothing to do with the SMA.” Yesterday, Daniels told reporters the SMA had never opposed a liquor licence application from Port Adelaide and claimed that club executives had described the pre-game venue as “not a priority”.

But a Port Adelaide spokesperson told InDaily this morning that the club stands by Thomas’ comments and was happy to provide the committee with any further information that it requires. InDaily asked whether the club has any documentary evidence to back Thomas’ claims that the SMA “vigorously” opposed the Game Day Village – including, for example, a copy of any submission the authority had made opposing its liquor licence – but the spokesperson said the club would not be making any further public comment outside of the committee.

Thomas was not available to speak today. Witnesses who present to the committee speak under parliamentary privilege, meaning that no legal action can be taken against them for any statements made. Port Adelaide has characterised testimony to the committee as “under oath”, although no formal oaths are taken at the committee.

https://indaily.com.au/news/2019/03...rrilous-disgraceful-adelaide-oval-management/

Neither is Pirate Life, it's owned by CUB
Correct. It's still not really a mainstream beer and my point is that there should be a better options than West End or Super Dry. Lets use Big Shed as a better example then.

For Andrew Daniels to blatantly lie that they did not oppose the club's liquor licence application is a disgrace. The SMA say they are just a banker for the JV parties. The Royal Commission into banking exposed the truth about bankers.

If their objections was via individuals and not officially as the SMA then that should be publicly exposed. That's what they are hiding behind. Indaily say the club wont talk about this publicly any more, but please PAFC provide the committee with all the documents you have that prove that's not the case and its exposed that way.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Hopefully this doesn’t end in the usual weak willed ‘we’ll talk behind closed doors’, that leads no where the club has done in the past with the SANFL / SMA. When the club has a jaded fan base, that they then shat on with Co-captains, here’s a chance to get a fan base that thrives on ‘them versus us’ angry and enthused and wanting to support a fight. When we are down on Memberships starting a war is a good way to get buy in.

A lot of the problem is we have had * all support from the AFL. If a Melbourne based club was being shafted as we are they would be all over it. In the early days of Docklands Stadium I can remember the AFL going into bat for the tenants and getting them a better deal. This side of the border we are left to do it on our own.

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
A lot of the problem is we have had **** all support from the AFL. If a Melbourne based club was being shafted as we are they would be all over it. In the early days of Docklands Stadium I can remember the AFL going into bat for the tenants and getting them a better deal. This side of the border we are left to do it on our own.

To be fair, Andy D did a hell of a lot of pushing s**t up hill to get us to AO. Its just that this current management has the spine of a jellyfish and the decision making abilities of a rock.

To be fair, Andy D did a hell of a lot of pushing s**t up hill to get us to AO. Its just that this current management has the spine of a jellyfish and the decision making abilities of a rock.

What kind of rock?

287102.gif

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
A lot of the problem is we have had **** all support from the AFL. If a Melbourne based club was being shafted as we are they would be all over it. In the early days of Docklands Stadium I can remember the AFL going into bat for the tenants and getting them a better deal. This side of the border we are left to do it on our own.

To be fair, at Docklands the AFL was the overall lease holder for the league and its clubs, and the direct distributor of signage and pourage rights from the venue to the clubs that played there.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Now Daniels is arguing about 2019 - not past history.

Stadium Management Authority CEO Andrew Daniels told ABC Radio Adelaide this morning: “It is the most scurrilous, outrageous, disgraceful accusation I have ever heard in my entire career.” “Why Keith said it yesterday I have no idea. I honestly have no idea. It is totally wrong,” he said. “The reason the Game Day Village is not happening this year is because the Memorial Drive Tennis Stadium is being redeveloped with a new roof going over the top, that has nothing to do with the SMA.” Yesterday, Daniels told reporters the SMA had never opposed a liquor licence application from Port Adelaide and claimed that club executives had described the pre-game venue as “not a priority”.

But a Port Adelaide spokesperson told InDaily this morning that the club stands by Thomas’ comments and was happy to provide the committee with any further information that it requires. InDaily asked whether the club has any documentary evidence to back Thomas’ claims that the SMA “vigorously” opposed the Game Day Village – including, for example, a copy of any submission the authority had made opposing its liquor licence – but the spokesperson said the club would not be making any further public comment outside of the committee.

Thomas was not available to speak today. Witnesses who present to the committee speak under parliamentary privilege, meaning that no legal action can be taken against them for any statements made. Port Adelaide has characterised testimony to the committee as “under oath”, although no formal oaths are taken at the committee.

Lol Daniels faux outrage

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ok, for a moment, what if we are the ones lying here? What if KT and co just don’t really care for the GDV because it isn’t profitable? Seems unlikely but if we don’t come out with proof saying otherwise it’s going to remain a possibility

Daniel's outrage is like that of a person who has been cornered and found out. Those words he are throwing around are hilarious. The club has all the evidence they need for this, Daniels can throw his words around all he likes - but it's only going to dig them a bigger hole.

Port are one move away from checkmate.

Ok, for a moment, what if we are the ones lying here? What if KT and co just don’t really care for the GDV because it isn’t profitable? Seems unlikely but if we don’t come out with proof saying otherwise it’s going to remain a possibility

We aren't. I've physically read through the SMA objections lodged to the CBS Commissioner. We have a mountain of evidence, not just one email or letter. Many.

Daniels is making a pretty desperate mistake.

We are not lying. I know because I talked to Dave Banner between 2014-2017 about all our applications and the hold ups. Its why at the last minute we had to close it down in 2016 for one game, because the temporary licence, which the SMA objected to had not been granted.

It's why in 2017 we shut it down, hiding behind the Tennis Centre is being upgraded and the March from the Mall is being diverted around Festival Centre construction line because the SMA were doing everything they could to delay getting a permanent licence.

The club in response to frustration from fans, opened a quasi GDV for the last 2 or 3 games in 2017 on the south side of the Torrens in between the Festival Centre and the R bar.

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
I know nothing more than that the Licencing Court has published a series of decisions as to the undesirability (and likely illegality) of permitting regularly repeated limited licences (see Cel A Dor Pty Ltd).

Knowing the SMA I'm sure they hastened the situation with the Commissioner, but I suspect it was coming to a head one way or another before long.

I know nothing more than that the Licencing Court has published a series of decisions as to the undesirability (and likely illegality) of permitting regularly repeated limited licences (see Cel A Dor Pty Ltd).

Knowing the SMA I'm sure they hastened the situation with the Commissioner, but I suspect it was coming to a head one way or another before long.

There are special circumstances licences which circumvent that rule and are used for these sorts of things such as weekly events.

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
Were the special circumstances licences applied for or limited licences? From what REH posted above it sounded like they were limited licences? Limited licences are a shitload cheaper, so in the circumstances where you're only proposing to trade for 6 hours 11(ish) times a season they're obviously desirable.

Were the special circumstances licences applied for or limited licences? From what REH posted above it sounded like they were limited licences? Limited licences are a shitload cheaper, so in the circumstances where you're only proposing to trade for 6 hours 11(ish) times a season they're obviously desirable.

We were applying for limited licences each week under the Tennis SA setup, but once the Tennis SA redevelopment kicked in - Port were applying for a limited licence with special circumstances (e.g a recurring limited licence).

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
Out of curiosity, why didn't Port see through the process in the Licencing Court?

Obviously there would have been a delay and you'd likely lose half the season (at least) while the matter was being resolved, but in the scheme of getting Lawyers involved the licencing court is a pretty cheap jurisdiction. Also, I can think of some fairly prominent practitioners who would be happy to assist Port at mates rates (or less), particularly in the circumstances of getting one over the SMA.

This would also have had the benefit of exposing the SMA's position for the entire world to see.

I assume it just wasn't worthwhile given the combination of the delay and unavailability of the Tennis SA complex?

Back