Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
The city is for everyone that pays for it. Roll into a gin bar and you pay the rates cost in the price of your drink. No problem there. Expect ratepayers to develop more parks and then maintain them because “the city is for all” is pure bullshit. If it’s “for all”, then it’s a state government issue, not the Adelaide City Council. Their concern is with their ratepayers, not anyone else.

Maybe I’ll try and close one of your local parks to put my horse on it. Just get another park, it’s no big deal. Your suburb is for everyone.
You own a property in the Adelaide Council knowing it is a state capital city. Which I assume is part of the appeal?
Wouldn't making Adelaide a more loveable city increase the value of your property? And thus increase your personal wealth?

I do agree State funding should be increased as well though.

End of the day I just think it is an eyesore and a massive waste to have large tracts of land empty, not used nor looked after. I personally dont mind the area that horses sit on. At least it is being used and I tend to think quite cool.we can do that. It is the land that sits unused and not maintained I take issue with.

Our City was planned well. But we are wasting it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

pmar

Senior List
Apr 1, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The indoor cricket centre would have been an absolute nightmare to get into post match as it’s in the same spot where the stairs connecting the Southern and Western Grandstands are. The Magarey Room is perfect for post match preso’s if that’s your thing.
The dynamic pre and post game has completely changed since the move to AO. If you want to eat or drink there are many choices being in the CBD plus the many public transport options, just like in Melbourne. It’s not Footy Park anymore where your limited food choices where a BBQ in the car park, Maccas, HJs or the Westfield food court if the shopping centre was open and nearly everyone drove there!
A new facility at the Aquatic Centre site aim would be maximum usage for the 9-5 five-day working week via cafe, merchandise, facility tours, hosting events etc. Post match functions there would be pointless as you’re taking fans further away from the public transport they catch. Families and the older fans won’t go, the under 35’s who go with their friends will hit the city which leaves only the absolute die-hards that would go, again pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Don't forget that one of the reasons the shed was popular at Footy Park was it gave people something to do while they waited for traffic to clear. As you say, not really required at AO due to other options available and (hopefully) less people driving these days.

And I would bet a decent percentage of shed attendees were also the ones who had a tailgate bbq pre-game

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
FWIW I think that the Magarey Room is fine for post match functions

However I think a city facility (and the Aquatic Centre location is probably the best we're likely to be able to get) for training, non-match day functions, maybe with food/drink facilities, and a public pool, is an excellent idea. Can't really understand what the downside is, particularly as we'll likely get at least some of it funded by the govt(s). You know it's a good idea because the Port cheerleaders like Goers say it isn't.

Yes the membership prices are set by the club, but that is to maintain a bottom line set against the costs and revenue from the SMA. So the SMA does impact your ticket prices. Crows and Port should have a seat at the table. I'd argue that their presence on the SMA board is more important than the SACA or SANFL (but all should be there).

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
More than a shed on game days, I'd love a family friendly away game venue at the club. Food (trucks?), booze licence, big screen, comfortable chairs, under cover, place to go watch away games with a bit of atmosphere.
This can be done now.
Parking could be an issue. But the could open up the floor of the training facility to this. They still have a screen there and have food trucks out the front.

A liquor licence could be an issue as I doubt we can still operate under the SANFL one we used to operate under.

Could get a temporary one, unless the SMA objects.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem with a venue for away games is it's great in March, great for September, but no one is going to be there on a cold and wet afternoon in July. Not to mention we've had a fair few night games over the last couple of years. I think when the big away game venue would have really worked was during that era when we had the original shed, but remember we also were lucky if we had 68cm CRT tvs and going to the football wasn't nearly as expensive, I think people now would probably enjoy watching it on their 65" HD tv and are happy for the week off paying for drinks and parking and all of that.

Aquatic Centre though? Might be good for families, pools and whatever for the kids, food/drink and screens for the parents, I guess a family day atmosphere.

Speaking of the Aquatic Centre, do many schools still do swimming lessons there? Claude Crow's Learn to Swim Program with player visits has got to be a good way to reach the younger audience.

Actually, it would be a pretty good venue to run an expanded community program that includes that learn to swim element as well as the other growing with gratitude stuff the club does and may help with the funding side of things.

Last edited:

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
The problem with a venue for away games is it's great in March, great for September, but no one is going to be there on a cold and wet afternoon in July. Not to mention we've had a fair few night games over the last couple of years. I think when the big away game venue would have really worked was during that era when we had the original shed, but remember we also were lucky if we had 68cm CRT tvs and going to the football wasn't nearly as expensive, I think people now would probably enjoy watching it on their 65" HD tv and are happy for the week off paying for drinks and parking and all of that.

This exactly, great in theory, but in an era where you can watch every game live (if you pay for it of course) on your big TV with sound system at home, why would you bother. Hiring food / drink trucks etc. for every away game wouldn’t be cheap and getting a liquor license in that area wouldn’t go down well either I’d imagine.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

Aquatic Centre though? Might be good for families, pools and whatever for the kids, food/drink and screens for the parents, I guess a family day atmosphere.

Speaking of the Aquatic Centre, do many schools still do swimming lessons there? Claude Crow's Learn to Swim Program with player visits has got to be a good way to reach the younger audience.

Actually, it would be a pretty good venue to run an expanded community program that includes that learn to swim element as well as the other growing with gratitude stuff the club does and may help with the funding side of things.

Away game watch parties can be quite fickle for attendances. I've seen some organised where 3 people turn up, and others with a decent turnout. You'd be lucky to get more than about 100 people for a run of a mill away game that appeals to the entire supporter base I reckon, regardless of where it's held.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
This exactly, great in theory, but in an era where you can watch every game live (if you pay for it of course) on your big TV with sound system at home, why would you bother. Hiring food / drink trucks etc. for every away game wouldn’t be cheap and getting a liquor license in that area wouldn’t go down well either I’d imagine.

This is why I reckon the club does not bother now.

Away Finals may be popular. Look at how many went to Adelaide Oval GF day.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Once the clubs established and it’s known people can go watch the games there, there will be a decent turnout, but really as long as enough go to cover the costs, that’s all you need.

Then when we have important games, the numbers will grow.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does any club actively have away game functions these days - barring the Grand Final?
You don’t need a function.

The club will have a bar, they’ll have food, they’ll have screens, the same as any bar.

People will go for a feed, a few beers and yell at the screens with fellow crows supporters.

lincsPJ

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I don't mind the magarey room either. The Crows do it well.

But the Shed it is not, i would still like a club based venue for away games/finals.

Sounds emotionally appealing in theory, but in reality I find it hard to see how the economics adds up. I just don’t think that there would be enough demand for people to travel from their couch to watch an away game and buy $8 beers.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

That doesn't happen unless they are shouting the food for patrons.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
I do wonder if the developers who own West Lakes really want that land and are wanting to pay us to leave.

Have heard some whispers some money around womans footy could be explored as well.

It worked alright at Waverley...

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Hawthorn are moving to this $100m facility. Another joint club/community project.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-19/councillors-to-debate-hawks-100m-facility

One paragraph caught my eye. I know which way I would go

The situations are different, with the Hawks purchasing their 28-hectare site – a former landfill – for $7.75 million in April this year, whereas the Saints are leasing council land for about $70,000 per annum.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Hawthorn are building on reclaimed land and all the advantages (and disadvantages) that brings BUT they have no encumbrances

Again its why I see West Beach , that old swamp at West Lakes ;) and or North/South on existing land as more viable

As nice a dream it is, having a base on the parklands has so many pitfalls and obstacles , its better to prioritise

1. Training and Players
2. Cost

3. Fans and members

It's happening

"Crows Chief Executive Officer Andrew Fagan issued the following statement in regards to the Federal Government committing $15m towards the Club building a new state-of-the-art facility, which will also provide the foundation for expanded Indigenous programs and enhanced women’s football initiatives, among many other community benefits.

“The Federal Government’s commitment is a significant step forward and provides greater certainty that we can deliver a facility which will both provide benefit and solve problems for multiple stakeholders.

“Given the issues we face at West Lakes, it provides the Club with the ability to establish a state-of-the-art training and administration headquarters in close proximity to Adelaide Oval.

The facility would replace the ageing aquatic centre in North Adelaide with new fit for purpose facilities for the community, while helping to regenerate the O’Connell Street retail precinct and importantly, allow for the enhanced delivery of significant community initiatives.

“It will strengthen a series of female-focused programs, particularly those aimed at increasing opportunities for young girls and women to pursue careers as administrators and coaches, and deliver dedicated facilities for our AFLW team. This will capitalise on the enormous growth in women’s football across South Australia.

“The masterplan when developed will also include dedicated resources to deliver a range of programs focused on improving opportunities for Indigenous youth across the pillars of education, employment, health and lifestyle.

“In recent weeks, we have spoken to the City of Adelaide about commencing the masterplan process and we will work closely with the Council and all other relevant community stakeholders while we complete this work during 2019.

“We are only in the very early stages and there is a great deal to work through in terms of planning and sourcing further funding, but this is an incredibly important step, and we appreciate the support of the Federal Government.”

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-03-30/ceo-statement

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's happening

"Crows Chief Executive Officer Andrew Fagan issued the following statement in regards to the Federal Government committing $15m towards the Club building a new state-of-the-art facility, which will also provide the foundation for expanded Indigenous programs and enhanced women’s football initiatives, among many other community benefits.

“The Federal Government’s commitment is a significant step forward and provides greater certainty that we can deliver a facility which will both provide benefit and solve problems for multiple stakeholders.

“Given the issues we face at West Lakes, it provides the Club with the ability to establish a state-of-the-art training and administration headquarters in close proximity to Adelaide Oval.

The facility would replace the ageing aquatic centre in North Adelaide with new fit for purpose facilities for the community, while helping to regenerate the O’Connell Street retail precinct and importantly, allow for the enhanced delivery of significant community initiatives.

“It will strengthen a series of female-focused programs, particularly those aimed at increasing opportunities for young girls and women to pursue careers as administrators and coaches, and deliver dedicated facilities for our AFLW team. This will capitalise on the enormous growth in women’s football across South Australia.

“The masterplan when developed will also include dedicated resources to deliver a range of programs focused on improving opportunities for Indigenous youth across the pillars of education, employment, health and lifestyle.

“In recent weeks, we have spoken to the City of Adelaide about commencing the masterplan process and we will work closely with the Council and all other relevant community stakeholders while we complete this work during 2019.

“We are only in the very early stages and there is a great deal to work through in terms of planning and sourcing further funding, but this is an incredibly important step, and we appreciate the support of the Federal Government.”

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-03-30/ceo-statement
You FICKING ******* BEAUTY

It says Federal money, but who committed it, the outgoing LNP government or the incoming ALP government? ie is it a LNP promise contingent on election success?

I ask because just this week Morrison promised a similar amount of money for a similar purpose to the North Queensland Cowboys

Back