Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
This game didn't have my full attention as it was the day after my wedding but this is what I took from it.

Walsh is gonna be one of those guys who just gives you an excellent output every week.

Cunners will be our biggest improver this year.

Daisy, SPS, Murph all great.

Phillips worries me as the number one ruck. Doesn't offer anything around the ground.

All in all, a great hitout by the boys. Bring on Round 1!

The fact that you watched it at all is testament to your true loyalties. My commiserations to your new wife.

Congrats, of course!

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
This game didn't have my full attention as it was the day after my wedding but this is what I took from it.

Walsh is gonna be one of those guys who just gives you an excellent output every week.

Cunners will be our biggest improver this year.

Daisy, SPS, Murph all great.

Phillips worries me as the number one ruck. Doesn't offer anything around the ground.

All in all, a great hitout by the boys. Bring on Round 1!
Philips seems to get in the way of our other players after a mark or free. Jogs slowly past preventing a centering kick or playing on inboard

The ground seemed very narrow which meant we were able to prevent the Pies from being able to cut us up switching the ball (but also meant we were continually forced down the line nearly every kick). Also meant there was little space in the forward line or room for error with the kicking forward.

Thought in the last quarter we got to see what our forward line could look like with MMcG showing something. We really need our small forwards to provide more when the ball hit the ground. They were disappointing.

JW was the big positive for me. Looks much more agile and willing to take players on.

Improving our kicking skill will make a massive improvement to the side. Need Willo and LOB to make it into the side.

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Heard on good authority, from people close to those involved they expected to play in the last quarter.

For a coaching committee that prides itself on communication, it would be horrendous if Stocker did turn up to the game expecting to play 15-20 mins. If he had told family and friends he was likely to play limited minutes. As family and friends, would 100% travel to watch a mate play limited minutes for the first time in a Carlton jumper. If any kid has told his network he is likely to play limited minutes, he will then have countless of his closest support network leaving angry when he doesn't!

This is not good for anyone. Not only is the kids leaving disappointed and potentially embarrassed. Everyone he usually confides in and turns to for support or a pick me up, is understandably angry and disenchanted as well.

I really hope it was a miscommunication between Liam and his network, and the coaching staff didn't change that decision during the day! In today's age, communication and mental awareness are crucial. You would hope our coaching staff haven't left a young kid vulnerable and down on confidence on the eve of round 1 as a result of miscommunication.

It seems trivial (15 minutes in a JLT game), however it is the sort of thing that can snow ball. Especially when the young mans support network are equally disillusioned and frustrated with the leadership at the club.

On what was an overall very positive day for the club, this could be one of the minor negatives which I hope it hit on the head immediately.
I once sat on the bench for a full under 16s game, so pissed off. Could not agree with you more. Shitty thing to do to someone.

cfc05

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I once sat on the bench for a full under 16s game, so pissed off. Could not agree with you more. Shitty thing to do to someone.

Regardless of level or ability - it simply is not a good feeling I am sure.

If it was communicated effectively, and was all part of the plan, well it wouldn't have come as a surprise to the players and expectations would be to turn up/warm up as an emergency.

Unfortunately, it appears to have been communicated as minutes played in final quarter. Therefor breaking the trust between players and coaching staff. The young mans support network are equally disillusioned and frustrated with the leadership at the club.

Anyway, not many seem to care as Liam isn't likely to play Round 1. I hope he comes out and dominates round 1 for the bullants, gets some positive feedback and continues to improve. Be nice to seem him putting some pressure on our young midfield come the middle of the season.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

If it was communicated effectively, and was all part of the plan, well it wouldn't have come as a surprise to the players and expectations would be to turn up/warm up as an emergency.

Unfortunately, it appears to have been communicated as minutes played in final quarter. Therefor breaking the trust between players and coaching staff. The young mans support network are equally disillusioned and frustrated with the leadership at the club.

Anyway, not many seem to care as Liam isn't likely to play Round 1. I hope he comes out and dominates round 1 for the bullants, gets some positive feedback and continues to improve. Be nice to seem him putting some pressure on our young midfield come the middle of the season.

I asked a coach about Stocker on Sunday and I then passed it on in matchday thread. Knew all along he was an "emergency" in case of injury. No issues at all. Chance to be around group, warm up etc. Ask a young bloke if he wants to play seconds or be on the bench for a chance at the seniors I know what most would do. If he had played VFL the day before and had to come on early he may well have struggled. We had 1 small and 1 tall as back up. Nothing to see here

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Re Stocker, perhaps once it became clear that we were right in it until the death, coaches made the decision to leave the 22 out there to finish it off. As much as we all would have liked to have seen Stocker, I can understand the decision making, with that being the final genuine contest before R1.

Good experience for all involved, leaves Stocker itching to to do the work to get into the side.
JLT and practice games are an opportunity to give young kids a taste of on field action. Teams like Richmond, Sydney and Hawks played their full compliment of 26 players last weekend, while other teams played 25 and 24 players. We only played 22.

Club erred imo. Could have easily played another 2 guys and given them a better experience.

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

FFS it's not under 12s.

This is a highly professional sport, and it is filled with individual disappointments every single day. If team Stocker are all twisted out of shape then perhaps they need a few more reality checks until the penny drops.

We don't know exactly what was said, but I would be highly dubious that any promises were made.

Come the last quarter our guys buckled down and went hard all the way to the wire; and were on the verge of stealing a win from last years Grand Finalist who had been on top for three quarters. JLT or not that's a real team lifter heading into the season.

If the the coaching staff had racked the cue while that comeback was going on, what would the players think?

Is making Liam Stocker's mummy happy more important than the effort the team put in?

Last edited:

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
JLT and practice games are an opportunity to give young kids a taste of on field action. Teams like Richmond, Sydney and Hawks played their full compliment of 26 players last weekend, while other teams played 25 and 24 players. We only played 22.

Club erred imo. Could have easily played another 2 guys and given them a better experience.

as opposed to preparing for Rd One?

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton

Fitness and being able to run out a full game is a big issue for us given how many younger players we have. Club did the right thing by using players as if a real game.

Albeit being a JLT game, you know the boys put in and grinded out the game. Imagine how the team felt knowing they nearly beat the 2nd placed team from last year. Massive confidence booster and nothing to laugh at.

Confidence and knowing how to win are some big development milestones everyone in our team needs to learn together.

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
phillips is a back up ruckman that went up against the competitions best ruckman some perspective on phillips output - did he compete? yes - did he dominate? no....did grundy dominate? not really.

performance against nankervis will be different again... will likely dominate the hit outs and be competitive around the ground.

Bluey24

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Two JLT game sample:

Best 22 and improved: SPS, Weitering, McKay
Moved into best 22: Cuningham, Garlett
Recruited and best 22: Setterfield, Newman, McGovern
Drafted and best 22: Walsh

Best 22 and tracking well after injury in 2018: Murphy, Fisher, Jones, Plowman

Handy depth: Phillips, Polson, JSOS, LO’b, Kennedy
I'd add Dow to first line

Apr 24, 2007
at home
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone: What was the point of leaving Stocker on the bench for the entire game?

We just don't know the full story, and it is fraught with danger to second guess match committee/ performance management.

It could be that Kerr/Stocker were to 2 chosen to be there as "break only in an emergency" substitutes for an in game injury.

They may have had a different training lead in to those that played VFL because they were only going to play if needed.

It is always a good idea to get fringe players to go through match day prep. and routine to grow and learn.

They would have felt included and very much in the know about the plans on the day, so I don't get why people (not specifically you AD)
complain about the stuff we as observers from afar know nothing about.

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
as opposed to preparing for Rd One?
Soap, I still think we could’ve given Stocker or Kerr some game time in the last quarter without any major impact on our Round 1 game preparation. Experienced guys like Simpson, Murph, Ed and Thomas could have had 5-10 mins less game time without it compromising their prep.

Just my opinion though.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Soap, I still think we could’ve given Stocker or Kerr some game time in the last quarter without any major impact on our Round 1 game preparation. Experienced guys like Simpson, Murph, Ed and Thomas could have had 5-10 mins less game time without it compromising their prep.

Just my opinion though.

Maybe but it was about time on ground for the 22. Russell has run the bench over the JLT. I understand the reasoning

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

You've completely misread what was written, but I suppose that's you living up to your moniker...
Regardless of whether one's feelings about others makes him a misanthrope or an information philanthropist, human companionship is important; I need you Jimmae.

I'm glad you decided to un-ignore me, even if only temporarily. :)

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Two JLT game sample:

Best 22 and improved: SPS, Weitering, McKay
Moved into best 22: Cuningham, Garlett
Recruited and best 22: Setterfield, Newman, McGovern
Drafted and best 22: Walsh

Best 22 and tracking well after injury in 2018: Murphy, Fisher, Jones, Plowman

Handy depth: Phillips, Polson, JSOS, LO’b, Kennedy

Those first 9 players will go a long way to determining our season.

cfc05

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Not sure if true. Liam was wearing the t shirt training top at 3/4 time. Was fairly obvious that he was not playing at all. Unless it changed during the game.
I asked a coach about Stocker on Sunday and I then passed it on in matchday thread. Knew all along he was an "emergency" in case of injury.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-03-11/final-team-v-collingwood-jlt-2

"Fans will get their first look at Liam Stocker" in case you can't be bothered opening the link from the Carlton Media Department. So at a minimum the fans were lied too. If you support the narrative it was known all along, and communicated on Sunday. Average of the club to print an article Monday saying the club will get their first look at Liam.

This is a highly professional sport, and it is filled with individual disappointments every single day. .........
Is making Liam Stocker's mummy happy more important than the effort the team put in?

100% agree on the point it is a highly professional sport filled often filled with disappointments. You would just hope these disappointments are not created by the coaches of our club for no reason, these disappointments are not unnecessarily caused by the Carlton Football Club.

I 100% expect the coaches and selection committee to disappoint players throughout the season, provide constructive criticism and make tough selection decision. I also expect (now only hope), they communicate effectively, openly and can be trusted at their word.

If you can't communicate something so simple- this is JLT!!! If the players lose trust in your message and words, how on earth can you convey your thoughts and plans effectively?

If you don't have sound communication skills and the trust of the group, you simply can not educate or teach them, as Brendan regularly proclaims is important.

Moving on: Anyone know when our next practice game is at VFL level. Looking forward to seeing Liam and the next level pushing for spots again. Exciting fortnight ahead

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-03-11/final-team-v-collingwood-jlt-2

"Fans will get their first look at Liam Stocker" in case you can't be bothered opening the link from the Carlton Media Department. So at a minimum the fans were lied too. If you support the narrative it was known all along, and communicated on Sunday. Average of the club to print an article Monday saying the club will get their first look at Liam.

100% agree on the point it is a highly professional sport filled often filled with disappointments. You would just hope these disappointments are not created by the coaches of our club for no reason, these disappointments are not unnecessarily caused by the Carlton Football Club.

I 100% expect the coaches and selection committee to disappoint players throughout the season, provide constructive criticism and make tough selection decision. I also expect (now only hope), they communicate effectively, openly and can be trusted at their word.

If you can't communicate something so simple- this is JLT!!! If the players lose trust in your message and words, how on earth can you convey your thoughts and plans effectively?

If you don't have sound communication skills and the trust of the group, you simply can not educate or teach them, as Brendan regularly proclaims is important.

Massive overreaction and importantly just wrong

I can assure you that one thing I do know, there is very good communication between coaches, fitness staff and the players. It’s excellent.

This type of muckraking is BS

Last edited:

cfc05

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Massive overreaction and importantly just wrong

Soapy V - this is very easy, which part is just wrong?

I had three facts listed - so presume you mean one of the following three points is "just wrong".

I presume you agree the club printed the article Monday?
I presume you agree with your previous statement coaches and player knew Sunday Liam wasn't playing? Which it is therefore odd for the club to print an article the next day telling fans they would see him for the first time?

The only other "fact" i stated was "If you don't have sound communication skills and the trust of the group, you simply can not educate or teach them "

I guess that is an opinion you could disagree with, however most management literature will support my theory.

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Soapy V - this is very easy, which part is just wrong?

I had three facts listed - so presume you mean one of the following three points is "just wrong".

I presume you agree the club printed the article Monday?
I presume you agree with your previous statement coaches and player knew Sunday Liam wasn't playing? Which it is therefore odd for the club to print an article the next day telling fans they would see him for the first time?

The only other "fact" i stated was "If you don't have sound communication skills and the trust of the group, you simply can not educate or teach them "

I guess that is an opinion you could disagree with, however most management literature will support my theory.

The article was correct.

I was at the ground. I saw Liam Stocker for the first time. He sat on the bench, where he was named.

It doesn't matter whether or not the match staff intended to give Stocker minutes or not. When the time (if there actually was a time) came, they opted for not.

You know what would have been genuinely bad management?

The team didn't just go through the motions as they might have been tempted to in the 4th, they dug deep and showed fight.

For the coaching staff to then rack the cue by sending out a kid for a fun run instead of letting them finish what they started sends a horrendously negative message to the team. It says we place no value on the fight and determination you are showing.

You are creating a tempest in a teacup, obviously emotionally driven. Perhaps you need to consider that the team is more important than the individual, no matter how much you personally favor him.

cfc05

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
The article was correct.

I was at the ground. I saw Liam Stocker for the first time. He sat on the bench, where he was named.

It doesn't matter whether or not the match staff intended to give Stocker minutes or not. When the time (if there actually was a time) came, they opted for not.

You know what would have been genuinely bad management?

The team didn't just go through the motions as they might have been tempted to in the 4th, they dug deep and showed fight.

For the coaching staff to then rack the cue by sending out a kid for a fun run instead of letting them finish what they started sends a horrendously negative message to the team. It says we place no value on the fight and determination you are showing.

You are creating a tempest in a teacup, obviously emotionally driven. Perhaps you need to consider that the team is more important than the individual, no matter how much you personally favor him.

Point one: I personally believe the club article hinted at seeing him play football, if you believe it meant seeing him sit on a bench - we will agree to disagree on that one.

Point two: I personally don't think it was bad management for the majority of teams in the JLT to play 24 players, don't think it was bad management for many coaches to play a 23rd and 24th in second half/final quarters throughout the past 2 weeks. I also don't believe the fact we did it in JLT1 and most coaches did it throughout JLT1 or 2 was them putting the cue in the rack, believe it was managing players minutes and giving exposure to some more inexperienced players depending on their program. So again, personal opinion, but I like many other coaches in the game don't believe sending a kid out in the last quarter of a JLT sends a "horrendously negative message to the team".

Last point: I AGREE! Team is far more important than an individual.

So two opinions we disagree on and one we agree on.

Now we can move on!

Back