List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
GOLD Coast is eyeing former NAB AFL Academy member Sam Fletcher as it looks to bolster its midfield stocks just two days before Friday's selection deadline.

Source: afl website

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Huge news. Liked his draft profile and highlights. Built for the modern midfield - tall, big bodied inside mid with great hands overhead and rated for his leadership apparently. His kicking is accurate-ish but he has a really weird ball drop that I think would have thrown off recruiters - alongside his previous injury/illness concerns. Good use of the SSP.
https://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-10-09/draft-prospect-sam-fletcher
Where has he be playing since he left the academy?
He signed for Box Hill this season

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Where has he be playing since he left the academy?

SAM FLETCHER

2018-FLETCHER-Sam.jpg

PLAYER BIO Former club:Dandenong StingraysAge:18Height:189cmWeight:81kgPosition:Midfielder
2018 U18 STATS Games:3Goals:-Avg Kicks:5.7Avg Marks:2Avg Hballs:10.3
The prolific ball winner is the ideal prototype for the modern-day inside midfielder, with quick hands complementing his ability to win the footy one-on-one. Hard at the contest, Fletcher collected a game-high 27 disposals in the Stingrays' Grand Final triumph. His kicking is a work in progress, but his coaches are confident it will improve.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Midfield depth to play in the guts is nice. Obviously wont be anywhere near the first team, but will help keep the NEAFL stronger and who knows, he may develop into a decent midfielder.
Not so sure about that. He was rated a first round talent at points in 2017 but his injury/illness have limited his time on the park. If he's past them he's a chance this year imo.

From Knightmares write up in May 2018.
Playing his first match of the year, highly regarded Dandenong prospect Sam Fletcher collected 24 disposals, 18 contested possessions, four clearances and six tackles in their win against Eastern. The 187cm, 79kg midfielder possesses the versatility to play at either end and is an effective ball user.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Quality midfielders, you don't say no. Especially in a young team. More the better. And giving them an opportunity, seems like a win.win.
I think picking him up could be good , if his endurance is better than Brodie then even better .

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
If Fletcher is ahead of Brodie on your midfield depth scale, then Brodie has mailed it in and is out the door at the end of the year.
Don't see any problem , Brodie contract not cheap to be honest as top 10 pick .

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If Fletcher is ahead of Brodie on your midfield depth scale, then Brodie has mailed it in and is out the door at the end of the year.

I don't think anyone is saying the new bloke is AHEAD of Brodie....well I'm not anyway. However we have 3 spots available and the MC have, according to reports, stated they're interested in Fletcher. I think you know my feelings about media reports.....and just in case you were out of the room at the time.....;)....believe nothing what you read and only half what you see.

Maybe they're looking to the future and think this 19yo is too hard to pass up, leaving still 2 spots in the MSD available....who knows?

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
If we bring them in through this MSD is there a fixed contract - i.e. minimum contract, or can each team negotiate the desired contact with the player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
From the highlights package Fletcher seems to have good hands and nice vision in tight
Kicking style reminds me of Tom Lynch
Plays tall which is useful

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Personally I would have favoured a more experienced player for midfield depth - but I don't really have a great idea of who's still available.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
With Brodie around dont see any reason to bring in experienced midfielder , mid season draft is more useful to bring them in .If Brodie still can't break into best 22 after the bye round something is wrong either with him or Dew , Maybe Both .

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I don't think anyone is saying the new bloke is AHEAD of Brodie....well I'm not anyway. However we have 3 spots available and the MC have, according to reports, stated they're interested in Fletcher. I think you know my feelings about media reports.....and just in case you were out of the room at the time.....;)....believe nothing what you read and only half what you see.

Maybe they're looking to the future and think this 19yo is too hard to pass up, leaving still 2 spots in the MSD available....who knows?

Err....

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-10-09/draft-prospect-sam-fletcher

Brodie has just dropped in pecking order even further :)

Not so sure about that. He was rated a first round talent at points in 2017 but his injury/illness have limited his time on the park. If he's past them he's a chance this year imo.

From Knightmares write up in May 2018.
Playing his first match of the year, highly regarded Dandenong prospect Sam Fletcher collected 24 disposals, 18 contested possessions, four clearances and six tackles in their win against Eastern. The 187cm, 79kg midfielder possesses the versatility to play at either end and is an effective ball user.
Genuinely don't remember Fletcher ever being in first round discussions at all throughout last year. There was some discussion that he might be a mid to late second round option, think he might have been one of a number of inside mids Essendon fans were discussing before the draft. eDPS would be the person to ask where Sam was rated throughout last year.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Err....

Genuinely don't remember Fletcher ever being in first round discussions at all throughout last year. There was some discussion that he might be a mid to late second round option, think he might have been one of a number of inside mids Essendon fans were discussing before the draft. eDPS would be the person to ask where Sam was rated throughout last year.
I think that comment from Jirik13 is not really a serious comment.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Err....

My comment was just a joke. Of course, Brodie would be ahead of Sam. I am pretty sure we will see Brodie in action this year.

Looking at Sam's highlights, he could be a steal down the track. Hopefully, he sorted out his injuries.

Last edited:

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Err....

From KM’s 2018 draft thread

"Fletcher is inside my top 25 power rankings. He's along with Bailey Williams in the conversation for Dandenong's best player. Surely during the finals series he moves up calculations if he hasn't already. "

Even late in the season when discussing players likely to be there mid to end of second round -

“Jack Bytel, Luke Valente, Connor McFadyen (Bris Academy), Sam Fletcher and Jye Caldwell may all be there in that range and all are excellent contested ball winners.”

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
From KM’s 2018 draft thread

"Fletcher is inside my top 25 power rankings. He's along with Bailey Williams in the conversation for Dandenong's best player. Surely during the finals series he moves up calculations if he hasn't already. "

Even late in the season when discussing players likely to be there mid to end of second round -

“Jack Bytel, Luke Valente, Connor McFadyen (Bris Academy), Sam Fletcher and Jye Caldwell may all be there in that range and all are excellent contested ball winners.”
The caveat is that is Knightmare's rankings, which can vary significantly throughout the year. Especially once you start looking at players outside his top 5. And rarely takes in to account how the industry view the kids.

Personally I prefer to follow AFL DraftCentral. They have a large crew of writers, across all states, watch a lot more games, and talk to many recruiters, agents, etc.

Fletcher never appeared in any of their top 20/25/35 player lists for 2018. And when they came to to do their final power rankings out to 60 players, still did not feature, though was mentioned as among the 5 players to just miss out on their top 60.

Significantly, Fletcher was not invited to the AFL Draft Combine, which is a very good indication of a players draft prospects, as each club is asked by the AFL to submit a list of 50 players they wish to attend the combine. A player must be nominated by 5 clubs to receive an invite. Clubs do not just list their top 50 players. Clubs are aware of where their picks are, and if they don't have a high pick, won't include the top players in the draft pool as they know enough other clubs will nominate those kids, which is why there's usually around 80 kids invited each year to the AFL Draft Combine.

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
The caveat is that is Knightmare's rankings, which can vary significantly throughout the year. Especially once you start looking at players outside his top 5. And rarely takes in to account how the industry view the kids.

Personally I prefer to follow AFL DraftCentral. They have a large crew of writers, across all states, watch a lot more games, and talk to many recruiters, agents, etc.

Fletcher never appeared in any of their top 20/25/35 player lists for 2018. And when they came to to do their final power rankings out to 60 players, still did not feature, though was mentioned as among the 5 players to just miss out on their top 60.
Fletcher is a rookie replacement for Wigg who is out for the rest of the season , nothing to do with how we rated him .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back