News 2019 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think acquired brain injuries would be viewed as a special case, particularly given the publicly around it. Something will happen eventually so we may as well be the first to ask.

Got nothing for Koby Stevens.
Or Dempster who, granted, was near the end of his career.

Got nothing for Koby Stevens.
Or Dempster who, granted, was near the end of his career.
We also paid nothing for Koby and got many games out of Dempster so both their value proposition were not high and wouldn't make the news like Paddy.
I don't think it would be framed like that anyway. It would be about deincentivising clubs to overstep player welfare. As things stand with Paddy the club should look at how easy he went down this time and his history and simply say, sorry son, it's over.
If they knew they'd get compo in the draft then Battle would already be forward and Paddy would pounding beers and cheeseburgers from the stands. The dereliction of care is probably already happening, but everyone is blinded by the need to succeed...

If the AFL gave us a pp for Paddy, then they'd have to give one to every club that loses a player due to a career ending injury.

Won't happen. Shouldn't happen.

Priority picks are entirely discretionary so there's always a chance. Career ending injuries are exceedingly rare (especially for a 22 year old) so it's hardly going to open any flood gates.

Not sure about you, but if Sam Walsh was hit by a bus today, I would understand and accept Carlton being offered a priority pick. The circumstances are extenuating, as they are here.

Not necessarily. We took our chance at the draft, just like everyone else. If it were another club I'd feel for them, but I wouldn't want to hand them a second top 10 pick.

The only reason we should get a priority pick is because we're s**t.

TBH I hope Paddy and Robbo make the best choices available to them. My worries as a supporter pale in comparison to the ones they must hold.
Agreed - and they'll be leaving a wonderful opportunity for the precedent to be abused if they gave a priority pick for a pick 1 injury.

We also paid nothing for Koby and got many games out of Dempster so both their value proposition were not high and wouldn't make the news like Paddy.
I don't think it would be framed like that anyway. It would be about deincentivising clubs to overstep player welfare. As things stand with Paddy the club should look at how easy he went down this time and his history and simply say, sorry son, it's over.
If they knew they'd get compo in the draft then Battle would already be forward and Paddy would pounding beers and cheeseburgers from the stands. The dereliction of care is probably already happening, but everyone is blinded by the need to succeed...
So true , its not like he has a broken arm and its going to mend in time , doctors cant do anything for his concussion issues . No amount of rest is going to help him as we have seen in the past and seriously its about time our club got some balls and said that's enough, if Paddy wants to go else where and try again that's up to him but we should be strong enough to say No.
Doing more testing and resting him is just prolonging the issue , what happens when he plays in 4 weeks time and gets really cleaned up . I will say iv never had a lot of faith in Paddy ever living up to anywhere near his draft pick number but that enough is enough and i expect the club to come out before the start of the season and say he has retired , if not they are leaving themselves wide open for the fury which will reign down on them from every media outlet

So true , its not like he has a broken arm and its going to mend in time , doctors cant do anything for his concussion issues . No amount of rest is going to help him as we have seen in the past and seriously its about time our club got some balls and said that's enough, if Paddy wants to go else where and try again that's up to him but we should be strong enough to say No.
Doing more testing and resting him is just prolonging the issue , what happens when he plays in 4 weeks time and gets really cleaned up . I will say iv never had a lot of faith in Paddy ever living up to anywhere near his draft pick number but that enough is enough and i expect the club to come out before the start of the season and say he has retired , if not they are leaving themselves wide open for the fury which will reign down on them from every media outlet
I don't know if it's at that point yet, I'm just theorizing. I'm too ignorant about the condition.
Is it possible that Paddy's symptoms are amplified while his brain dammage is not? Or is the brain damage amplified and the symptoms are in line with that?
If the answer is A, then l can reserve judgment. If the answer is B, then he shouldn't be playing contact sport anymore and the grownups should step in. Leaving that decision to Paddy is squibbing it from my point of view. 22yo boys are not the orical of wisdom on life impacting decisions..

Ive watch the replay of it 20 times he hardly gets touched
I was just watching the highlights of the game on the Saints site and saw the incident for the first time.......….I too was very surprised how it all looked so innocent.

Not a good sign for the big fella IMO.

Priority picks are entirely discretionary so there's always a chance. Career ending injuries are exceedingly rare (especially for a 22 year old) so it's hardly going to open any flood gates.

Not sure about you, but if Sam Walsh was hit by a bus today, I would understand and accept Carlton being offered a priority pick. The circumstances are extenuating, as they are here.
Death is a different matter. Maybe.

And why should it apply to certain players and not everyone?

Pick selection shouldn't matter.

Pandora's box...

I can only imagine the endless barrage of media fury and AFL scorne the club would face if the worst happened to Paddy while a Saint player.

FWIW, I think its time to hang up the boots Paddy.
Enjoy your life doing something less risky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King looks to be the tallest bloke on our list aside from that men in black looking campaigner.

Coffield is huge, strong neck game as well.

Battle has a head that means business.

Membrey was surprised.

Marshall does not seem to be 201 cm in that photo. I've always found it hard to believe that he really is that tall.

Pandora's box...
I don't think you should get say a first round PP because your first pick was forced to retire due to concussion, rather add that factor in when assessing a clubs viability for a PP.

Number of games won over the past 3 years
Percentage over that time
Forced retirements over that time (taking into account age, position taken in the draft, etc)
Whether the club is investing enough money into the development side etc

it should be a small part of a larger picture

Marshall does not seem to be 201 cm in that photo. I've always found it hard to believe that he really is that tall.

He’s got a huge melon and long neck. Tom Simpkin like.

2019 Aussies (team photo awards)
and the nominations are...

BEST REPEAT OFFENDER MUGSHOT: Josh Bruce, Callum Wilkie, Lewis Pierce, Tim Membrey, Alan Richardson, Ben Long, Dan Hannebury, Jack Billings, Nathan Brown

BEST IMPERSONATOR: Rowan Marshall as Neil from the Swindon Branch, Jake Carlisle as Cowboy Neale, Billy Longer as Rodney Rude, Jimmy Webster as Art Garfunkel/Aphex Twin, Oscar Clavarino as Lenny Hayes, Dean Kent as Tim Membrey, Hunter Clarke as Nick Barker, Nick Hind as some Scottish ned, Ed Phillips as Phillip Seymor Hoffman, Max King as Ben King

BEST STEALTH FARTER: Luke Dunstan, Shane Savage, Paddy McCartin, Jack Sinclair, Bailey Rice

WORST STEALTH FARTER/BEST SHARTER: Nick Hind, Rowan Marshall, Sam Alabakis, Blake Acres, Ed Phillips, Dave Armitage

WEIRDEST HEAD: Matt Parker, Jack Steele, Jimmy Webster, Josh Battle

HAPPIEST JUST TO BE HERE: Jarryn Geary, Seb Ross, Billy Longer, Oscar Clavarino, Jack Steven, Jack Lonie, Jack Steele, Brandon White, Daniel MacKenzie, Robbie Young

BEST REGULAR BLOKE THEY LIFTED FROM THE STREET TO MAKE UP THE NUMBERS: Jake Carlisle, Dan MacKenzie, Jack Steven

THE OBVIOUS "WHO FARTED?" WHISPER ZONE: Nick Coffield, Blake Acres, Brandon White, Jack Steele, Jimmy Webster, Josh Battle, Oscar Clavarino, Billy Longer, Sam Alabakis, Max King, Jarryn Geary

Pandora's box...
Players have died before, the fella from the Dees in the Tsunami and the Port player in the US... neither club received compensation to my recollection. SO even there I don't think there's grounds for a PP. I'm not into it personally, let's just take it on the chin and move on.

We wouldn't get a compensation pick for either Paddy or Robbo if they had to retire. And I wouldn't expect one.

But there is something I would like the club to push for if the latter has to hang up his boots.

Given the unique nature of his illness/injury; the horrifying way it transpired in full public view; the fact he has two loving sons (and of course a daughter) and is currently stranded on 91 games for the Saints, I think it would be a nice touch if the AFL granted special dispensation to him in regards to the Father/Son rule.

I think everyone would win from a gesture like that, and it would be a real feelgood moment in an otherwise sad story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back