Prediction Best 22 R1 2019

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Honestly, I was watching Clavarino at the Intra very closely and White looked better playing in a similar role. His games I saw at Sandringham last year were underwhelming and he looked years off playing seniors at that point. The most eventful thing that happened when Clav was playing Intra was big Lewy was throwing him around like a rag doll and he went down with the ankle seconds later. I doubt very much he was in our round one plans.
No offence meant, but you’ve made a lot of comments on the intra club that do accurately reflect that you watched the second half. I think that’s the reason you’re finding other posters to be a little backward on that game. Quite a few guys had big second halves and were non existent in the first half and a bit of vice versa too. (Not that I’m disputing your Clav comment). I’m personally excited that Joyce is going well and Battle can play anywhere anytime.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
It was already confirmed it was "heart related" but that's a long way from a diagnosis.

Maybe the defib fired when it shouldn't or didn't fire early enough. Maybe he just ran too much!

I prefer to wait for actual news before jumping to conclusions.
Sports cardiologist, Associate Professor David Prior, who is the deputy director of cardiology at St Vincent's Hospital and associate professor of cardiology at Melbourne University, said that previously people with defibrillator implanted had abandoned competitive sport.
He said there had been a change in attitude in recent years after professional sportspeople chose to continue competing with an implant. He said there were about 300-400 athletes around the world competing with defibrillators.
"It does seem to come at a cost that they are more likely to get shocked by their devices," Prior said.
Prior, who established Melbourne Sports Cardiology, Australia’s first specific sports and exercise cardiology clinic, stressed that he was not aware of the specifics of the Roberton case and was talking broadly about athletes with defibrillators.
"There is a bit of published work on this that high-level athletes are more likely to get shocked than people who exercise at a low level," Prior said.

doesn't sound good for the guy

Sports cardiologist, Associate Professor David Prior, who is the deputy director of cardiology at St Vincent's Hospital and associate professor of cardiology at Melbourne University, said that previously people with defibrillator implanted had abandoned competitive sport.
He said there had been a change in attitude in recent years after professional sportspeople chose to continue competing with an implant. He said there were about 300-400 athletes around the world competing with defibrillators.
"It does seem to come at a cost that they are more likely to get shocked by their devices," Prior said.
Prior, who established Melbourne Sports Cardiology, Australia’s first specific sports and exercise cardiology clinic, stressed that he was not aware of the specifics of the Roberton case and was talking broadly about athletes with defibrillators.
"There is a bit of published work on this that high-level athletes are more likely to get shocked than people who exercise at a low level," Prior said.

doesn't sound good for the guy

Read the paragraph immediately after your bold bit...sounds a lot more promising.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Honestly, I was watching Clavarino at the Intra very closely and White looked better playing in a similar role. His games I saw at Sandringham last year were underwhelming and he looked years off playing seniors at that point. The most eventful thing that happened when Clav was playing Intra was big Lewy was throwing him around like a rag doll and he went down with the ankle seconds later. I doubt very much he was in our round one plans.
By all reports Clavarino has come on leaps and bounds , however Joyce , Austin , White and Wlikie were most probably ahead of him.
Clavarino will be more than a useful player by the sound of it , however he still is a string bean - not saying he will not play this year but another season in the gym would help - like most of these young kids you draft some of them just have to finish growing.
Most of the tall kids take time - King will be the same.
Joyce is a fine example , he wasn't as slim as Clavarino was last year but this year he has really put on some muscle and has really helped the guys game.
Meanwhile White and Austin are at the age to take things up a notch.
The new guy we are getting / Marsh / was said to have above average ability playing for the Magpies , then he had a mental health problem and went back to Perth.

Thursday, 1 November 2018
Former Collingwood defender Jonathon Marsh says he is desperate for a return to the AFL, two years after quitting the game as he battled mental health issues.
The athletic and quick backman retired at the end of 2016 when his trade request to a West Australian club fell through with a year to run on his contract with the Pies.
However, after two seasons back with East Fremantle in the WAFL, the 23-year-old is searching for a second chance and will nominate for next month's NAB AFL Draft.
"I'm 110 per cent in. I'm fully committed. That's why I've been doing the work when nobody's watching because I'm so desperate for that second chance. I'm that keen for it that it's quite remarkable," Marsh said.
Marsh says the decision to retire was the right one at the time given his mental state.
"It wore me down and caught me off guard because I wasn't prepared for it and I didn't really manage it well. By the time [the mental health issue] really clicked into gear I was thinking 'I can't be here'," he said.
"I was actually quite scared about my wellbeing. I knew my support systems were back in Perth and that to get better I probably needed to be surrounded by family and friends.
"It wasn't a negative decision, I'm actually quite proud of it to be honest. I wouldn't change it."
Callum Twomey for AFL.com.au

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
By all reports Clavarino has come on leaps and bounds , however Joyce , Austin , White and Wlikie were most probably ahead of him.
Clavarino will be more than a useful player by the sound of it , however he still is a string bean - not saying he will not play this year but another season in the gym would help - like most of these young kids you draft some of them just have to finish growing.
Most of the tall kids take time - King will be the same.
Joyce is a fine example , he wasn't as slim as Clavarino was last year but this year he has really put on some muscle and has really helped the guys game.
Meanwhile White and Austin are at the age to take things up a notch.
The new guy we are getting / Marsh / was said to have above average ability playing for the Magpies , then he had a mental health problem and went back to Perth.

Thursday, 1 November 2018
Former Collingwood defender Jonathon Marsh says he is desperate for a return to the AFL, two years after quitting the game as he battled mental health issues.
The athletic and quick backman retired at the end of 2016 when his trade request to a West Australian club fell through with a year to run on his contract with the Pies.
However, after two seasons back with East Fremantle in the WAFL, the 23-year-old is searching for a second chance and will nominate for next month's NAB AFL Draft.
"I'm 110 per cent in. I'm fully committed. That's why I've been doing the work when nobody's watching because I'm so desperate for that second chance. I'm that keen for it that it's quite remarkable," Marsh said.
Marsh says the decision to retire was the right one at the time given his mental state.
"It wore me down and caught me off guard because I wasn't prepared for it and I didn't really manage it well. By the time [the mental health issue] really clicked into gear I was thinking 'I can't be here'," he said.
"I was actually quite scared about my wellbeing. I knew my support systems were back in Perth and that to get better I probably needed to be surrounded by family and friends.
"It wasn't a negative decision, I'm actually quite proud of it to be honest. I wouldn't change it."
Callum Twomey for AFL.com.au
He always felt quite a bit bigger than that weight kg that was linked somewhere above. Quite a big guy. I always remember thinking how the stinking Pies had nabbed another one at a long pick. As ARR says though, he’s missed an entire (well, multiple really) fully professional pre season. Would be eye opening if he played inside the first couple of months.

No offence meant, but you’ve made a lot of comments on the intra club that do accurately reflect that you watched the second half. I think that’s the reason you’re finding other posters to be a little backward on that game. Quite a few guys had big second halves and were non existent in the first half and a bit of vice versa too. (Not that I’m disputing your Clav comment). I’m personally excited that Joyce is going well and Battle can play anywhere anytime.
I was still there just much more focussed in the second half. I was keeping an eye on guys that you don’t see much of and moved around to watch them. Clavorino I was really interested in so kept an eye on him. He seemed to be quiet. I

Decimation

Team Captain
May 27, 2015
Bunbury W.A.
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
G'day lads, trying to find out some info on your ruck situation. Who is likely to take it for the season or is it a try and see what works best at the moment?

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
G'day lads, trying to find out some info on your ruck situation. Who is likely to take it for the season or is it a try and see what works best at the moment?
Few seem on the Pierce train but I think Marshall will get solid game time this year.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was still there just much more focussed in the second half. I was keeping an eye on guys that you don’t see much of and moved around to watch them. Clavorino I was really interested in so kept an eye on him. He seemed to be quiet. I
Ah I see.

I never seem to notice defenders unless it’s for negative reasons! It’s good that others are saying he’s progressing well.

Ah I see.

I never seem to notice defenders unless it’s for negative reasons! It’s good that others are saying he’s progressing well.

I hope he makes it but he seems a bit light for KP. Joyce looked very good in that match though. Intra is a good place to watch individuals rather than the game because the match is of no interest as a spectacle. We actually camped behind goals to watch him. I probably missed who was the best of the mids more than KPs.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
I hope he makes it but he seems a bit light for KP. Joyce looked very good in that match though. Intra is a good place to watch individuals rather than the game because the match is of no interest as a spectacle. We actually camped behind goals to watch him. I probably missed who was the best of the mids more than KPs.
Would be interesting to see how strong he is, which isn’t necessarily the same thing as weight. (Anyone see any one on ones at training? Pretty sure I saw him giving Alabama’s a whipping, but that’s not the best measure :p). Or is he definitely going to be more of an intercept.

Would be interesting to see how strong he is, which isn’t necessarily the same thing as weight. (Anyone see any one on ones at training? Pretty sure I saw him giving Alabama’s a whipping, but that’s not the best measure :p). Or is he definitely going to be more of an intercept.

He doesn't seem strong one on one but is noticeably bigger than last year. I think he'd be better as an interceptor myself. Alabakis looks like he's lost, he's got a long way to go to play AFL regularly. Clav must have been frustrating Lewie Pierce though, Pierce lost his s**t with him and was shoving hm around. Perhaps he won't allow them any space.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thats what they said about him
Standing at 195cm, Oscar Clavarino will be one of the most sought-after key defensive prospects in November's NAB AFL Draft, with his form this season drawing comparisons with Crow Jake Lever's output at the same age.

This what he said when he was drafted
"Hopefully I can develop, put on some size and become that player that takes the opposition's best key forward at AFL level."

4 months ago
Monday, 15 October 2018
Oscar Clavarino signs a one-year extensions with St Kilda to remain at the club until the end of 2020.
"Oscar is coming along nicely, but as a bigger-bodied defender, will take a bit more time," St Kilda general manager of football Simon Lethlean said.
"He’s got a good head on his shoulders and I have no doubt that with another pre-season under his belt he’ll be banging the door down for his debut next season."

Clavarino eyes huge 2019

Chris Nice

Oct 24, 2018 3:31PM

563938-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Eager for his crack at the big-time, Oscar Clavarino will be one to watch in 2019.

We expect season two of Oscar’s career to be pretty exciting.​
Danny Sexton

He’s yet to don the red, white and black, but first-year player Oscar Clavarino is another young talent amid a pool of gifted youngsters who will be pressing for a senior spot in 2019.

Although just one of two listed Saints yet to make their AFL debut – alongside rookie Doulton Langlands – the tall defender nevertheless made sound progress in his first year at Moorabbin.

Recruited from the Dandenong Stringrays alongside teammate Hunter Clark, the 19-year-old pieced together a solid debut season for Sandringham, starring down back with his effective rebound play.

It’s a trait that held him in good stead during his time with Vic Country, with his natural ability to read the play earning him under-18 All Australian selection in 2017.

Clavarino’s efforts haven’t gone unnoticed at RSEA Park, with the pick No. 35 at last year’s NAB AFL Draft rewarded with a two-year contract extension, tying him to the Saints until 2020.

181024-clav-620.jpg

Oscar Clavarino (R) is set to push for a senior berth in 2019.

Director of Coaching Danny Sexton has seen the potential in Clavarino and believes the developing youngster is just at the beginning of a promising career.

“Oscar has been a very consistent performer at VFL level,” Sexton said.

“He is a tall guy with good leadership attributes, he’s athletic and he reads the play really well.”

Surprisingly mobile given his 196cm frame, Clavarino averaged 11 disposals across 17 matches for Sandringham, with his strong marking ability another defining feature of his game.

Clavarino notched up four games with over five marks, with his six-mark display against Richmond the pick of the bunch – a game in which he racked up a season-high 18 disposals.

His work off the field has been just as impressive in the eyes of Sexton, who praised the youngster’s efforts to increase his size and strength throughout the year.

“The thing he’s done well changes to his body. He came in as a skinny 18-year-old kid, and he’s worked really diligently on his shape and on his strength,” Sexton said.

“His body is quickly taking the form of an AFL player.”

Clavarino’s season with Sandringham forced him to focus on his contested play and man-on-man defensive work, with the slender defender often playing on much bigger bodies.

But with added mass and increased endurance, Clavarino could potentially take the step in evolving into a key position backman in the coming years; his already established intercept marking ability and rebound plays important weapons for a defender of such .

Although he still has room to develop from a physical perspective, the now 19-year-old is nevertheless a mature head on young shoulders who will hope to be a mainstay in the St Kilda line-up.

The departure of defender, Sam Gilbert, may present the emerging talent with such an opportunity to make his AFL debut in Season 2019.

“With Oscar’s ability to read the play and with his diligence and professionalism – now that his body is catching up – we expect season two of Oscar’s career to be pretty exciting,” Sexton said.

Alongside the likes of fellow youngsters Nick Coffield, Bailey Rice Brandon White, Clavarino has all the attributes and talents to grow into an influential and important cog in St Kilda’s future back six.

This kid is going to be a ripper and it's good they are taking there time with him , they will give him a few games this year for sure.

It just begs the question as to our best back 6 will be by the end of the year and beyond.

Assuming Jake returns...

There was a suggestion on SEN that Jake Carlisle might never make it back on to a footy field again. That would be one ****ed year to lose Jake, Robbo and Paddy in a one preseason. Two are in our best 10 players and one is a pick 1.

Compared to the team that played most last year.

22 games.
Gresham: One of only 3 players to play 22 games Hopefully he can build on it , its his 4th year with the Saints.
Newnes : Played 22 games, many of them stinkers. Signs are that he's ready to put that behind him. ( 2018 was his worst season ever IMO ).
Steven : To me he's the most significant prospective out. We need all of Clark, Ross, Dunstan and Steel to step up if we want to compensate for his loss.

21 games
Ross : His 2018 was similar to his 2017, and i'm not sure we can expect a lot more from him. So i guess we need him to stay consistent.
Billings: Down on his 2017 we really need our early picked 85 gamer to perform.
Steele : Has played as a tagger, a player with potential to be an elite ball winner. We need to see it.

20 games
Membrey: If he kicks around 25 goals, i guess that's what we can expect.
Geary : I guess we know what to expect.
Sinclair : ( 4th highest tackler 2018)There will be more pressure on him this year, with the likes of Hannebery, Phillips, Hind, ready to step into his shoes.

18 games
Savage : Him and McKenzie probably got opportunities with Roberton out. Will the club prefer Sav or the more contested ball winning/more tackling McKenzie or someone else like Coffield.

Webster : Seems to have cemented his spot. Hopefully he can play 22.
Carlisle : Huge out for the team. Club will need to determine who should take his spot, Roberton, Joyce, White, Battle , Wilkie. None will match Jake.

Dunstan : Its slow progress but last season he had more disposals ( contested and non ) than any other year. Without Steven we need a midfield bull.

Brown : As fit as he's ever been, he's a lock. A choice of options if he has any problems. We might get someone more able to rebound.
Clark : Held his own in the first season and, especially if Steven is out, may well be a lock in 2019. Hopefully no 2nd year blues.
Armitage : Is failing fast, as for Steven, we need Ross, Clark, Dunstan, Steele to fill the inside mid void. Acres may help.

Hickey : Longer is still a couple of weeks away, to me he remains our best choice. Hickey wasn't a great ruck but he was decent at winning the ball.
McCartin: A fit Bruce will easily eclipse Paddy's achievements for 2018. Marshall and Battle ready to go as well.
Weller : We seem pretty right with Long, Kent and Parker all capable and probably better than Weller.
McKenzie : See Shane Savage. Hopefully can have a big year.

So that's the 22 that played the most games in 2018. Only 9 played 20 or more games.

Hickey is a bit of a loss and i see the potential loss of Steven and Carlisle as the biggest threats to the season.

Biggest potential for improvement ( assuming worst case for Roberton, which is not what i'm hoping for ) :

General improvement of Gresham, Billings, Clark, Billings , Steele.
Sinclair to improve or be replaced by someone better. ( Hind , Coffield, Phillips , Hannebery )
Acres to play a significant roll.
Bruce to kick more goals than Paddy, Battle and Marshall combined did in 2018.

Generally a more dangerous forward line. (best of : Parker, Long, Kent, Lonie, Young , Gresham ).

luca77

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2010
Japan
AFL Club
St Kilda
There was a suggestion on SEN that Jake Carlisle might never make it back on to a footy field again. That would be one ****** year to lose Jake, Robbo and Paddy in a one preseason. Two are in our best 10 players and one is a pick 1.
Well if there was a suggestion on SEN, then...
(I think I've just discovered the limits of how far back I can roll my eyeballs, bloody hurts!)

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
There was a suggestion on SEN that Jake Carlisle might never make it back on to a footy field again. That would be one ****** year to lose Jake, Robbo and Paddy in a one preseason. Two are in our best 10 players and one is a pick 1.
Yes very disappointing , however we now have a squad of good young draftees that are developing and players like Battle , Clavarino , White , McKenzie , Joyce and Austin have the ability to become the future of the club for many years to come.
McCartin is a sad story however we have most probably a ripper in King to take his position , it's just a pity we lucked out again with a number 1 draft pick but it's not the end of the world because we were able to pick up Ben.

Having Ratten and Lade in the coaching set up now should surely help the development of all our kids going forward.
I feel we are starting to really get our act together , guys like Billings , Gresham , Acres , Long , Battle , McKenzie , Steele , Hunter - Clarke , Coffield who are class players who have the skills to really take a step forward this year.
The good thing is a well we could score a diamond in the rough with one of the guys we have drafted like Phillips , Paton , Langlands , Parker , Hind , Bytel.

Bytel is a interesting one - we picked another kid kid with a injury problem but surely we are due to have some luck and one of these kids will produce the goods.

featured-image-16052.jpg
The former top-10 prospect “too good too ignore”

Only 12 months ago, Jack Bytel was tipped to be selected near the top 10 in this year’s National Draft.

Bytel’s 2017 was so brilliant it had set him up to be one of the elite selections in the 2018 draft according to AFL Academy coach Luke Power.

Injuries curtailed the 2018 season of the prolific Calder Cannons co-captain and midfielder but according to Power, clubs should not be overlooking his ability at tonight and tomorrow’s draft.

“At the end of last year, Jack’s Under 17 year, I had him around the fringes of the top 10,” the Brisbane Lions great said on SEN Breakfast.

“He was having 30 disposals a game and then also going forward and hitting the scoreboard.

“Unfortunately this year he’s had a couple of injuries. The latest one being a back complaint which may see him dip a little bit, but I’m sure that he’s too good a player to ignore.

“If they can get it right with him and get his injury right, he is going to be a really good pick-up.”

The 188cm modern-day mid averaged 27 possessions in the TAC Cup as a 17-year-old but had to endure a bulging disc in his back in 2018.

Compared to Sydney captain Josh Kennedy, the tackle-happy Bytel met with several clubs at the AFL Draft Combine and while he has been on the radar over the past two years, he is expected to be one of the steals of this year’s draft.

Bytel could quite possibly be taken in the second round and maybe even fall to the third with clubs such as Essendon and Melbourne believed to be keen.

Going Forward

With Ben King , Clavarino , Coffield , Bytel , Hunter - Clarke we have some of the best draft picks from the past couple drafts who could develop to be absolute stars .
That is a key forward , Key back and 3 mids.
We know they need to build there bodies before showing their true ability but with our new coaches the development should come.

So we have copped a few hits lately but we now have the kids to fill these positions in the future even if it will most probably not be this year.

However this year is far from written off and they have shown us just in the JLT games - o'k we have lost Roberton most probably but apart from that - we havn't had Carlisle and McCartin hasn't been any world beater.
Marshall has the contested marking ability just as good as McCartin , so he could easily fill a key forward position and this allows Pierce to come in to the fold and as we have heard Pierce has shown he is the far better tap ruckman atm and with Lade giving him support expect big things from Pierce.

We still have the ability to make the 8 if every goes right for us and at the moment I expect we will shock a lot of clubs.
Billings , Steele , Acres , Gresham , Membery , Bruce , Webster , Steele , Ross are going to have to play out of there skins but they are capable of doing this with the right game plan.

The thing that must not be forgotten are guys like Newnes , Savage , Geary , Dunstan are no world beaters but if they can at least hold there own , it will help the team tremendously.

I'am excited about the coming season and the seasons to come.

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Geary Joyce Hind
Roberton* Battle Webster
Newnes Steele Billings
Parker Marshall Gresham
Long Bruce Membrey

Pierce Stuv* Ross

Dunstan Acres* Dmac* Lonie

Wilkie Sinclair Coffield Austin Marsh​

To be brutally honest I think our Best 22 is improved without Paddy.

Allows Marshall to come in, who is a genuine tall and his and Bruce’s height will make defenders accountable, leaving Membrey to run amok.

It also means Bruce plays 100% forward and can we can always switch Roma and Battle around for when playing taller forwards like Daniher, Darling, Brown.

Roberton (Although i have a hunch will be ok to play) and Stuv are a HUGE loss and irreplaceable.

A great move to bring in Marsh, who seems in pretty good shape and a rare type of highly agile defender. He would have a fairly solid preseason under his belt from Richmond so shouldn’t be too far behind our boys fitness wise. After the selections of Parker, young, hind and Wilkie I have faith this will also be a good call.

I’d be giving Hind a run in the middle to try and address the lack of pace in our mid group. Hopefully Gresh and Kent can improve their on ball games too.

Overall it’s a ****ed situation we find our selves in pre season. So many unknowns so close to round 1. Gonna be a long year but I’m all in... 😎

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Geary Joyce Hind
Roberton* Battle Webster
Newnes Steele Billings
Parker Marshall Gresham
Long Bruce Membrey

Pierce Stuv* Ross

Dunstan Acres* Dmac* Lonie

Wilkie Sinclair Coffield Austin Marsh​

To be brutally honest I think our Best 22 is improved without Paddy.

Allows Marshall to come in, who is a genuine tall and his and Bruce’s height will make defenders accountable, leaving Membrey to run amok.

It also means Bruce plays 100% forward and can we can always switch Roma and Battle around for when playing taller forwards like Daniher, Darling, Brown.

Roberton (Although i have a hunch will be ok to play) and Stuv are a HUGE loss and irreplaceable.

A great move to bring in Marsh, who seems in pretty good shape and a rare type of highly agile defender. He would have a fairly solid preseason under his belt from Richmond so shouldn’t be too far behind our boys fitness wise. After the selections of Parker, young, hind and Wilkie I have faith this will also be a good call.

I’d be giving Hind a run in the middle to try and address the lack of pace in our mid group. Hopefully Gresh and Kent can improve their on ball games too.

Overall it’s a ****** situation we find our selves in pre season. So many unknowns so close to round 1. Gonna be a long year but I’m all in... 😎
No Kent in the best 22?

Will Acres play round 1?

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
1st round team selected by The Age - Dinny Navaratnam

Pretty much on the ball with his selections although I'd have Wilkie in for Hind purely to add a bit more height and marking ability to a shortish backline and
as most would know I'd have Marshall at FF.

The question then is - who to drop - one of Sinclair, Parker or Lonie - no fence sitting allowed - OK then Sinclair.

STK-header.png

B: Jarryn Geary, Darragh Joyce, Jimmy Webster
HB: Nick Hind, Josh Battle, Shane Savage
C: Jack Newnes, Jack Steven, Jack Billings
HF: Dean Kent, Josh Bruce, Matthew Parker
F: Ben Long, Tim Membrey, Jade Gresham
Foll: Lewis Pierce, Jack Steele, Seb Ross
I/C: Hunter Clark, Jack Lonie, Jack Sinclair, Daniel McKenzie
EMERG: Rowan Marshall, Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, David Armitage

NEW: Nick Hind, Dean Kent, Matthew Parker

UNAVAILABLE: Nathan Brown (suspended), Jack Bytel (back), Jake Carlisle (back), Oscar Clavarino (ankle), Dan Hannebery (hamstring), Max King (knee), Doulton Langlands (hamstring), Billy Longer (hamstring), Paddy McCartin (concussion), Dylan Roberton (heart)

NOTES: The careers of Dylan Roberton and Paddy McCartin are clouded after their recent issues, but both would be selected if fit.
Rookie Callum Wilkie and St Kilda’s newest recruit Jonathon Marsh would be in with a real shout, seeing they’re similar players to Roberton.
Daniel McKenzie was picked off one VFL game after battling a heel complaint, but his second half to 2018 was outstanding.
Nick Hind impressed through the pre-season but is borderline for selection, considering the lack of talls down back. The Saints need his kicking skills, though.
Jack Steven is back training after taking leave from the club to deal with a mental health issue, so he was named, replacing Dunstan, who is a bit stiff.

The ruck spot was the hardest to decide. Lewis Pierce missed most of the JLT Community Series through concussion and Rowan Marshall was great, first for Sandringham and then in the seniors. However, Pierce's combative approach will be better suited to the bigger body of Gold Coast's Jarrod Witts.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
B: Jarryn Geary, Darragh Joyce, Jimmy Webster
HB: Daniel Mckenzie, Josh Battle, Shane Savage
C: Jack Newnes, Jack Steven, Jack Billings
HF: Dean Kent, Josh Bruce, Matthew Parker
F: Ben Long, Tim Membrey, Jade Gresham
Foll: Lewis Pierce, Jack Steele, Seb Ross
I/C: Hunter Clark, Jack Lonie, Jack Sinclair, Nick Hind

Rowan Marshall id have playing as an absolute lock and id have him as the number 1 ruck

and Surely Coffield also a chance now without Roberton if DMac isnt right

Last edited:
Back