The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

We did exactly that against Richmond, though, in the JLT2. We had an eight-man bench, though, so four will drop from that side automatically. Say it's Mirra, Hanrahan, O'Brien and Nash. Now if Gunners comes back then I imagine Scrimshaw gets pushed, possibly Lewis, but Gunners can swing and I think that fills Scrimshaw's role more dangerously than Lewis's. If Howe appears then maybe he challenges Cousins, but I reckon Cousins has a spot.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see who gets named. A week and a half still until the list is published. Sheesh. Pre-season is a killer.

We barely played Ceglar or McEvoy in the forward half but.

Gunston kicked 50 goals forward last year, he went back (at times) when Sicily went down. He is not starting at HBF.

FB: Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
HB: Impey - Brand - Sicily
C: Smith - Shiels - Henderson
HF: Burgoyne - Lewis - Bruest
FF: Puopolo - Roughead - Moore
R: McEvoy - O'Meara - Worpel

B: Cousins - Morrison - Scrimshaw - Ceglar

How does it compare in list strength terms to this premiership team?

Backs: Stephen Gilham (27), Trent Croad (24), Brent Guerra (18). Equal
Half-backs: Rick Ladson (4), Luke Hodge (15), Grant Birchall (14). 08 Better
Centres: Chance Bateman (10), Sam Mitchell, (5) Jordan Lewis (3). 08 Better but add TMitchell equal
Half-forwards: Michael Osborne (7), Lance Franklin (23), Cyrl Rioli (33). 08 Much better
Forwards: Mark Williams (6), Jarryd Roughead (2), Campbell Brown (30) Equal if Rough 08 equals Rough 19
Followers: Robert Campbell (39), Brad Sewell (12), Shane Crawford (9). 19 much better

Interchange: Stuart Dew (31), Xavier Ellis (8), Brent Renouf (34), Clinton Young (11). 08 great bench, but add Wingard Scully Gunston equal

FWIW the rest of the 2019 list is miles better than the rest of the list in 2008

Last edited:

Based on performances in JLT I expect something like this:

Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
Sicily - Scrimshaw - Impey

Smith - Cousins - Henderson

Nash - Lewis - Gunston
Breust - Roughead - Puopolo

McEvoy- O’Meara - Shiels

Worpel - Burgoyne - Ceglar - Morrison

Morrison lucky to keep his spot and Brand might be a bit stiff but really liking Scrimshaw, more composed and showed he can defend against Richmond imo

Going to need Brand against the Crows back six. Lewis and Nash in team that already has McEvoy and Ceglar is too top heavy and it didn’t work in the two JLT games. There is not much speed in the team.

Frawley vs Walker
Brand vs Jenkins
Sicily vs Fogarty
Stratton vs Betts
Scrimshaw vs Lynch
Hardwick vs ?

Nash has a long way to go, becomes a spectator for long periods of the game. I'm not sold, needs more time at box hill

We barely played Ceglar or McEvoy in the forward half but.

Gunston kicked 50 goals forward last year, he went back (at times) when Sicily went down. He is not starting at HBF.

I agree we won't start Gunners back, or even play him there mostly, but he offers a swing dimension that neither Lewis or Scrimshaw have (yet?). So, he'll be forward heavy for sure. The question is do the Hawks want more forward leaning firepower (replace Scrimshaw) or more defense (replace Lewis). I'm thinking they will go for the attacking setup. We'll find out soon enough.

How does it compare in list strength terms to this premiership team?

Backs: Stephen Gilham (27), Trent Croad (24), Brent Guerra (18). Equal
Half-backs: Rick Ladson (4), Luke Hodge (15), Grant Birchall (14). 08 Better
Centres: Chance Bateman (10), Sam Mitchell, (5) Jordan Lewis (3). 08 Better but add TMitchell equal
Half-forwards: Michael Osborne (7), Lance Franklin (23), Cyrl Rioli (33). 08 Much better
Forwards: Mark Williams (6), Jarryd Roughead (2), Campbell Brown (30) Equal if Rough 08 equals Rough 19
Followers:
Robert Campbell (39), Brad Sewell (12), Shane Crawford (9). 19 much better

Interchange: Stuart Dew (31), Xavier Ellis (8), Brent Renouf (34), Clinton Young (11). 08 great bench, but add Wingard Scully Gunston equal

FWIW the rest of the 2019 list is miles better than the rest of the list in 2008

That part made me laugh.

I agree we won't start Gunners back, or even play him there mostly, but he offers a swing dimension that neither Lewis or Scrimshaw have (yet?). So, he'll be forward heavy for sure. The question is do the Hawks want more forward leaning firepower (replace Scrimshaw) or more defense (replace Lewis). I'm thinking they will go for the attacking setup. We'll find out soon enough.

This is really confusing sorry mate.

Gunston will play forward and replace someone in that area of the ground. Scrimshaw is not competing with Gunston in any way.

Adelaide are deceptive in that none of their forwards play that tall. McGovern did but he's no longer there and even though Jenkins is huge he doesn't take big clunking marks. Also, Jacobs isn't any more dangerous than Ceglar floating forward. So do we need to play another gorilla to complement Frawley?
Dimma will get Betts, Stratts Walker, Chip Jenkins. Also, the beauty of Sicily taking Lynch is that the ranga will drag him up the ground where Sic can hit some targets inside 50 or better yet get on the end of some scoring chains. I'd only play Brand/Mohr if Gunston's absent and we play Sicily forward

Adelaide are deceptive in that none of their forwards play that tall. McGovern did but he's no longer there and even though Jenkins is huge he doesn't take big clunking marks. Also, Jacobs isn't any more dangerous than Ceglar floating forward. So do we need to play another gorilla to complement Frawley?
Dimma will get Betts, Stratts Walker, Chip Jenkins. Also, the beauty of Sicily taking Lynch is that the ranga will drag him up the ground where Sic can hit some targets inside 50 or better yet get on the end of some scoring chains. I'd only play Brand/Mohr if Gunston's absent and we play Sicily forward

I think you’re right. Clarko will want another runner. We’re going to need it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B - Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB - Impey Sicily Scrimshaw
C - Smith O'Meara Henderson
HF - Burgoyne Lewis Gunston
F - Bruest Roughead Puopolo
Foll - McEvoy Sheils Cousins
Int - Worpel Ceglar Morrison Nash

Emerg - Jiath* Walker Golds Jones

* Love Jiaths endeavor and spoils. Be great to see him debut. Exciting to watch.

Hardwick Frawley Stratton
Scrimshaw Sicily Impey

McEvoy Shiels O'Meara
Smith Worpel Morrison

*Gunston Nash Burgoyne
Bruest Roughead Puopolo

Cousins Ceglar Henderson Moore

I am presuming Howe will be unavailable round 1. Does anyone know if Gunston will be right?

I feel this year needs to be striking a balance between being competitive and pushing for a spot in the eight, and getting games into younger guys. With Wingard and Scully out early in the season, I suspect Moore and Hanrahan have been playing for a spot in round 1. Neither dominated the JLT series, particularly JLT 2, but I feel Moore will be given first opportunity based on a greater ability to stick a tackle and play a pressure forward role.

Hopefully we just stick with Nash early in the season. After the Adelaide game we have a decent block of games that present as a good opportunity for him to get his confidence at the level. If we are playing two rucks, then between McEvoy/Ceglar and Rough we don't need another typical pack marking forward. Nash will be best utilised using his aerobic ability to get out the back.

Scrimshaw played himself into round 1 after JLT 2, IMO. He played tall at times also, with strong intercept marking. With Birchall out, Glass and Miles not making the JLT 2 squad and Burgoyne seemingly set to play forward, I think he will get games early to claim a spot down back for the rest of the season. He could be a breakout candidate.

Point me to the minute mark where he wasn't making an effort so I can go and watch it. It didn't see it.

What i did see is that we pulled Worpel and O'Meara out of the middle in the third and we got killed on clearances and, as a result, the backline was getting hammered. In addition, I saw that Sicily was pulled as well so that Richmond's flow into their forward line was less disrupted. Scrimshaw spent much of the time out of his position as well.

I'm convinced that most people here miss 80% of what goes on during an AFL game, looking at the play instead as an 'Old Boys' league where you kinda play a position and run around a bit. In an AFL match if one guy in the backline is continually defending every entry then the odds are high that someone has fallen over upfield and are giving the opposition too much space to think. Yes, Frawley did very well on Riewolt but he had a lot of help. Riewolt was hardly a target in the first half because the Richmond midfield had no time think and were continually bombing to the forward line (which Hawthorn anticipated so well, often having a free man just hanging in the likely Richmond target space). In the second half, and particularly the third quarter, Riewolt was continually getting hit on the lead. Richmond's midfield had time and space to look up and deliver on target and so our backline got hammered.

The thing to remember about that game is that both squads went the A game in the first half and Hawthorn dominated Richmond. Hawthorn's defense stopped all the flow in Richmond's game, making the Tiger's really struggle to get the ball forward with any pace (just as the BH Hawks did against Brisbane in the first half). Likewise, Hawthorn's fluid forward game was impressive. Good options continually presented themselves and every forward movement looked dangerous, despite Breust laying an egg with the pill.

In the second half Richmond stuck with their A game while Hawthorn moved on, switching position all over the field to see what happened. The third saw Richmond's top midfield clean up a hodgepodge of a Hawthorn midfield and the rest of the game hung off that. In the fourth a couple of adjustments were made (O'Meara appeared again) and it evened out a bit. But Hawthorn didn't go back to the A game in the fourth. Richmond ran their top configuration until about the 10 minute mark of the fourth, particularly in the midfield, when they finally took Martin off.

I believe that if you look at the JLT series as a whole, you'll see a Hawthorn well set to do get some good results this year. The system is strong. If the midfield can break even, the system will give us the edge. I'm feeling pretty confident and see no need to go beating on players at this point.

There are bound to be games where we are under the pump/teams getting a run on when 4 points are on the line this year. Defences that hold up will put their teams in good stead. This was JLT pressure. Laughing and joking with Jack Riewoldt after giving away another free.... hmmm. Clarko changed the back 6 and saw how few would handle the pressure imo.

Going to need Brand against the Crows back six. Lewis and Nash in team that already has McEvoy and Ceglar is too top heavy and it didn’t work in the two JLT games. There is not much speed in the team.

Frawley vs Walker
Brand vs Jenkins
Sicily vs Fogarty
Stratton vs Betts
Scrimshaw vs Lynch
Hardwick vs ?
It's looking unlikely we will go that tall with Fogarty missing out. Probably a side like as follows. Just a decision of Keath v Hartigan & whether an underdone Greenwood is risked for Murphy.

B: Laird, Talia, Kelly
F: Puopolo, Roughead, Breust

HB: Smith, Keath/Hartigan, Doedee
HF: Burgoyne, Ceglar/Lewis, Gunston

C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Atkins
C: Smith, Cousins, Henderson

HF: Lynch, Walker, Knight
HB: Sicily, Brand, Impey

F: Betts, Jenkins, Douglas
B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

R: Jacobs, Sloane, Brouch
R: McEvoy, Shiels, O'Meara

I: Milera, Gibbs, Jones, Murphy/Greenwood
I: Scrimshaw, Worpel, Morrison, Nash

Ps. Hopefully we can get the monkey off our back & finally beat you at Adelaide Oval.

Last edited:
It's looking unlikely we will go that tall with Fogarty missing out. Probably a side like as follows. Just a decision of Keath v Hartigan & whether an underdone Greenwood is risked for Murphy.

Ps. Hopefully we can get the monkey off our back & finally beat you at Adelaide Oval.

I'd be very surprised if you didn't , but I also couldn't see us winning the 2017 game.

Yep, that’s the team I’ve got for us too. Reckon Ceglar plays the 2nd tall role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back