Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I didn't see anything wrong with the circumstances of the bump - it was in play. So it comes down to where Berry was hit and how hard.

I am not convinced the initial contact from May was with the chin/throat. I'm not sayin it wasn't - I just can't tell.

It looks as though there was incidental high contact with the chin/throat moving down towards May's shoulder as a consequence of the bump (which you can go for these days I believe), but it was relatively minor.

Almost all of the force was to the chest and its pretty clear he had the wind knocked out of him.

I think if you bump someone and there is minor incidental high contact that doesn't really have any effect, with the major effect coming from the 'fair' part of the bump, you shouldn't get a week.

That's where I stood too, which is why I started the thread. I wasn't sure if it was just my MFC bias though as all the commentary around it was calling for a suspension which is where I was more bemused rather than the decision to suspend by Christian.

I thought he'd get off on appeal I was legitimately shocked it wasn't downgraded to low impact. If that was medium impact the threshold for high impact must be extremely low these days as he didn't even follow through on the bump.

Anyhow decisions made, he'll be back for round 2 - but I expect this thread to get bumped in a few weeks when another player does exactly the same thing and gets off.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
minimal force?? And the retaliator always gets busted. You can't try to justify that strike cos headlock. If he had landed properly he'd of got 6 weeks and that sort of thing "looks" a lot worse than a pretty fair bump to me
Not arguing the bump, it's grey to me. I think it was very fair that Mummy got a fine. You have a point about retaliation, but it's significant he was entitled to react to me. What ifs dont really matter, if Mummy wanted to put him on his butt he would have.

The stupidity is common to the May incident though. The biggest impact if JLT games on the season is injuries or suspensions. Niggle or being too aggressive is silly, save it for when it matters.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Were you this critical of Darling exaggerating contact?

Playing or a free or falling over at quarter time pretending he was hit after initiating a bit of push and shove and then standing by it when a player was at the tribunal?

Massive difference in behaviour.

No Eagles fans likes or defends how Darling plays for frees and I feel he is changing that aspect of his game.

So what was your thoughts on OIiver taking a dive? You seem to be supporting it by pointing at other bad behaviour and saying 'they do it so its ok'.

Just admit it was soft and something you never want to see any Demons player ever do again.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Playing or a free or falling over at quarter time pretending he was hit after initiating a bit of push and shove and then standing by it when a player was at the tribunal?

No Eagles fans likes or defends how Darling plays for frees and I feel he is changing that aspect of his game.

So what was your thoughts on OIiver taking a dive? You seem to be supporting it by pointing at other bad behaviour and saying 'they do it so its ok'.

Just admit it was soft and something you never want to see any Demons player ever do again.

Have admitted it was soft multiple times, check the original thread on it. Just see plenty of people willing to throw stones in glass houses on here re: players diving but to be fair you’ve said you don’t like Darling doing it either so you’re not one of them.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-diving-thread.1168718/

You'll find I was the first person to post the Oliver dive in this thread.
Yet 80% of the people on this board can't look past their team colours

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jesus christ, can people actually watch the vision properly before commentating? May changed directions at the last second and launched into him, his shoulder connecting with the jaw/throat of Berry who wasn't expecting May to leap at him.

Berry DID NOT run into a stationary May, and if you think that you're either blind or didn't watch the incident.

Finally someone with common sense. I'm a die hard dees fan and I'm embarrassed by the bias some of our supporters are showing. May opted to bump and got him high. An easy one for the mrp.
And I agree 1000% in that May changed direction at the last second so the onus is on him.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Finally someone with common sense. I'm a die hard dees fan and I'm embarrassed by the bias some of our supporters are showing. May opted to bump and got him high. An easy one for the mrp.
And I agree 1000% in that May changed direction at the last second so the onus is on him.

I agree with most of that too, I just thought the impact wasn't sufficient to warrant a suspension. Berry seemed to stay down more from having the wind knocked out of him than from having his bell rung. But whatever, decisions made we move on. I just hope the rule is applied consistently throughout the season (though I know it won't be).

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Which AFL club did you play for? Must have missed all that toughness geez

Go down to Gippsland an play senior country footy and calls those blokes weak an see how many ribs you leave the field with.
Been a shitload of AFL footballers come from that area an plenty who were close.

Keeping your head up was one of the first things you learned playing country footy.

roz1812

Debutant
Mar 14, 2019
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
It looked like a fair bump with no high contact. If Berry wasn't concussed would it have even been looked at? I cant see how you argue against the medium impact ruling here due to the injury and that's where the system is flawed. The incident shouldn't have even been looked at in the first place. In this particular case, I think the contact should have more bearing on the decision than the impact/injury considering it was to the body which I thought constituted a fair bump.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lol ok mate, you don't seem unhinged at all.

Translation: 'You don't think a player from my team is innocent despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary and a verdict that says otherwise - you must be mentally unstable because wah wah wah'.

Grow up kid and accept your player got done for a dirty act.

He got concussion...Debate ends there!
Mays history of doing these things does not help - end of story.
He got a concussion test which he passed. He got winded and wanted to go back on the ground minutes later.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure why some are saying Berry was SAWFT and stayed down and is therefore to blame? Given that we gave a very favourable medical report to help out and our GM of footy even sent an email confirming Berry stayed off for non-concussion reasons I fail to see how anyone but May is to blame here.

May could easily have avoided bumping, and if you bump off the ball you run the risk of a suspension if it looks like it was high. This who May is Dees fans, a very good player who is still prone to doing silly things.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Translation: 'You don't think a player from my team is innocent despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary and a verdict that says otherwise - you must be mentally unstable because wah wah wah'.

Grow up kid and accept your player got done for a dirty act.

Have a read of my posts champ before going off prematurely - I accepted the decision although I didn't really agree with it. What I don't accept is your ridiculous assertion that it was a "thug" act. If you think a basic block in footy game was "thuggish" behaviour you better not venture too far past the letterbox you'll be seeing threats behind every shrub.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
It looked like a fair bump with no high contact. If Berry wasn't concussed would it have even been looked at? I cant see how you argue against the medium impact ruling here due to the injury and that's where the system is flawed. The incident shouldn't have even been looked at in the first place. In this particular case, I think the contact should have more bearing on the decision than the impact/injury considering it was to the body which I thought constituted a fair bump.

There was no injury. Berry was not concussed.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Not sure why some are saying Berry was SAWFT and stayed down and is therefore to blame? Given that we gave a very favourable medical report to help out and our GM of footy even sent an email confirming Berry stayed off for non-concussion reasons I fail to see how anyone but May is to blame here.

May could easily have avoided bumping, and if you bump off the ball you run the risk of a suspension if it looks like it was high. This who May is Dees fans, a very good player who is still prone to doing silly things.
Anyone having a go at Berry is an idiot. He got winded, caught his breath then got back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back