Hot Topic Heppell calls for patience

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...rom-hungry-essendon-fans-20190312-p513hf.html

Now I don't know about you guys but as a supporter base I think we've been plenty patient over the years. I'm not sure Hepp has really said the right things here, you've got a supporter base that's stood by the club through off field hell, do you really have to call for patience?

Maybe I'm pessimistic but that to me sounds like the captain of the club is already making excuses and we haven't even got to round 1. Doesn't fill me with any confidence going into the season.

Thoughts? Am I reading to much into it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...rom-hungry-essendon-fans-20190312-p513hf.html

Now I don't know about you guys but as a supporter base I think we've been plenty patient over the years. I'm not sure Hepp has really said the right things here, you've got a supporter base that's stood by the club through off field hell, do you really have to call for patience?

Maybe I'm pessimistic but that to me sounds like the captain of the club is already making excuses and we haven't even got to round 1. Doesn't fill me with any confidence going into the season.

i don’t think he was ever quoted as actually calling for patience but you’re right- he is making excuses for a slow start to the season... again. it’s pretty piss poor.

he’s not a great captain. a “bonza bloke” sure, but he shouldn’t be captain.

The article's a bit of a mess in that there's no direct quote from Heppell about 'patience', just that our defensive zone setup will be a work in progress throughout the year.
This is poorly worded "hopefully we can get ourselves in order for round one to be able to compete at our best" IMO but it's a radio interview so it's probably better to understand intent rather than analyse every word.

I think Hepp is being realistic about where the team is heading into rnd 1, which is good, and his comments are anything untoward.

Regarding the patience of the fan base in general, I completely agree that we've been pretty bloody patient, but I also think for the most part the club has acknowledged that.

i don’t think he was ever quoted as actually calling for patience but you’re right- he is making excuses for a slow start to the season... again. it’s pretty piss poor.

he’s not a great captain. a “bonza bloke” sure, but he shouldn’t be captain.
The article's a bit of a mess in that there's no direct quote from Heppell about 'patience', just that our defensive zone setup will be a work in progress throughout the year.
This is poorly worded "hopefully we can get ourselves in order for round one to be able to compete at our best" IMO but it's a radio interview so it's probably better to understand intent rather than analyse every word.

I think Hepp is being realistic about where the team is heading into rnd 1, which is good, and his comments are anything untoward.

Regarding the patience of the fan base in general, I completely agree that we've been pretty bloody patient, but I also think for the most part the club has acknowledged that.
I knew I'd get "no direct quote" replies and to be honest its a pretty rubbish argument.

He's clearly saying things will take time to come good, pretty fair conclusion he wants us to be patient while it comes together.

This isn't a situation where he's said one thing and the journalist has gone a to b via d e f g x and y. It's a pretty straight conclusion to draw.

Edit: That reads way more passive aggressive then intended.

I knew I'd get "no direct quote" replies and to be honest its a pretty rubbish argument.

He's clearly saying things will take time to come good, pretty fair conclusion he wants us to be patient while it comes together.

This isn't a situation where he's said one thing and the journalist has gone a to b via d e f g x and y. It's a pretty straight conclusion to draw.

yeah you’re right- i was kind of hedging my bets until i had heard the interview, which i have done. man, he is difficult to listen to - he’s a caricature who talks in cliches.

on one hand he says(referring to the defensive structure), it’s all new and will take time to gel, but then in the same response he says it’s pretty much what they’ve been doing with just minor tweaks.

so in conclusion, he is preparing excuses for a disappointing start to the season, asking us to be patient, and is a simpleton.

This is very Facebook of you.

You didn't give me anything when I sent it to you so I've taken it to more intelligent people.

I told you that I think we will have a similar year to last. You’re a fool if you’re expecting top 4.

interesting.

When I read the article i got pretty pissed off honestly. We have shown a lot of patience and we did look ******* awful over the preseason. In fact, I wrote out a whole post that was fairly scorching in tone.

But then I thought I really should listen to the actual source first before I hit that reply button, and make a genuine assessment of what he said and the context he said it in.

And I have to say, after having listened to it, I now know it's a big old load of meh.

Firstly, the context. At first I got sucked in by the article, which reads as though the club has wheeled Hepp out to dampen down expectations that let's face it, they themselves have set furiously over summer. That his message was "be patient guys". And now they are panicking and trying to lower the heat. This pissed me off enormously.

But then when I listed to the article, it turns out it's nothing like that whatsoever. It's actually an interview with the captain of the club they are featuring for their "Membership Day". So, first and foremost, this is he reason they interviewed him. Stock standard.

And as for the content: naturally, the first thing he's asked about is the JLT performance. IMO he just didn't sugar coat it, and he did say what I'd expect any player would say. That it wasn't ideal; that they are working on new stuff; it's not all going to click from day 1 (but it's pretty close anyway); and that it was preseason - practice games, and they practiced.

In fact, I thought i must be listening to the wrong interview at first, as he was actually far more positive than he was negative. it was only when a few of the verbatim quotes came through that confirmed it was in fact the source material.

This is a classic case of the media building a narrative out of an interview, and selectively taking certain quotes from it, paraphrasing them into dubious headlines. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, necessarily, I get why they do it. But as with most things, it isn't the whole story and as an Essendon fan I'm glad I actually listened to the article rather than relying on the newspaper article.

I'm still concerned that what we turned out in JLT could lead to another shitshow of an early season - but I a still leery of putting too much emphasis on practice games, and at least I now don't believe the club are trying to appease us with this interview.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I told you that I think we will have a similar year to last. You’re a fool if you’re expecting top 4.
Didn't you read the group chat post the Geelong game? I've loaded up on the spoon. :(
interesting.

When I read the article i got pretty pissed off honestly. We have shown a lot of patience and we did look ******* awful over the preseason. In fact, I wrote out a whole post that was fairly scorching in tone.

But then I thought I really should listen to the actual source first before I hit that reply button, and make a genuine assessment of what he said and the context he said it in.

And I have to say, after having listened to it, I now know it's a big old load of meh.

Firstly, the context. At first I got sucked in by the article, which reads as though the club has wheeled Hepp out to dampen down expectations that let's face it, they themselves have set furiously over summer. That his message was "be patient guys". And now they are panicking and trying to lower the heat. This pissed me off enormously.

But then when I listed to the article, it turns out it's nothing like that whatsoever. It's actually an interview with the captain of the club they are featuring for their "Membership Day". So, first and foremost, this is he reason they interviewed him. Stock standard.

And as for the content: naturally, the first thing he's asked about is the JLT performance. IMO he just didn't sugar coat it, and he did say what I'd expect any player would say. That it wasn't ideal; that they are working on new stuff; it's not all going to click from day 1 (but it's pretty close anyway); and that it was preseason - practice games, and they practiced.

In fact, I thought i must be listening to the wrong interview at first, as he was actually far more positive than he was negative. it was only when a few of the verbatim quotes came through that confirmed it was in fact the source material.

This is a classic case of the media building a narrative out of an interview, and selectively taking certain quotes from it, paraphrasing them into dubious headlines. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, necessarily, I get why they do it. But as with most things, it isn't the whole story and as an Essendon fan I'm glad I actually listened to the article rather than relying on the newspaper article.

I'm still concerned that what we turned out in JLT could lead to another shitshow of an early season - but I a still leery of putting too much emphasis on practice games, and at least I now don't believe the club are trying to appease us with this interview.
That's a fair take Lance and I may have read to much into the article.

To me it just feels like its the same old "we're working on it give us time" message the club throws out on a regular basis

Lance covered all this pretty well, but as a reply; The 'no direct quote' is important because he doesn't ask the fans for patience, so then when you view his (poorly worded) response to questions about the practice games you understand that he's providing some context as to why it didn't go the way some fans were hoping (expecting it to).
He then talks about the need to make sure they are on for round 1, for a which a fair conclusion could be that he (and the playing group) know they need to be ready.

If we get thumped by GWS and Heppell (or anyone else) comes out and says we all just need to wait while the 'process' is implemented I'll start flipping desks with the best of them, but this really does seem like not much at all, made worse by the fact that Heppell really isn't great at interviews.

The best cure for all of this is to wait for H&A games to start. Until then all we're doing is hypothesising, getting our knickers in a twist and shaking our fist at the clouds.

If a slow start happens, then we can start bitching in earnest based on the evidence in front of us.

The best cure for all of this is to wait for H&A games to start. Until then all we're doing is hypothesising, getting our knickers in a twist and shaking our fist at the clouds.

If a slow start happens, then we can start bitching in earnest based on the evidence in front of us.
49f7469e2062e9febf8693e04b318e9d

We are entering our prime with the list.
We should be making finals. We should be tough opponents.

We're traditionally terrible in pre-season.

but we're at a stage where the list is entering its prime
McGrath clocks up 50 games this year. Langford and Laverde should too.
We have 13 top 20 picks on the list and in the starting line up (Not counting Brown)
None of them are slouches or busts.

A meddling mid-table club we shouldn't be.
You can accept it when the list isn't good enough, but when it is and its mentality that is lacking, its rather frustrating to accept as a supporter base.

For now, im not concerned by the JLT form.
Come Rd.1, we have to be in that game from siren to siren regardless the result.

Lance covered all this pretty well, but as a reply; The 'no direct quote' is important because he doesn't ask the fans for patience, so then when you view his (poorly worded) response to questions about the practice games you understand that he's providing some context as to why it didn't go the way some fans were hoping (expecting it to).
He then talks about the need to make sure they are on for round 1, for a which a fair conclusion could be that he (and the playing group) know they need to be ready.

If we get thumped by GWS and Heppell (or anyone else) comes out and says we all just need to wait while the 'process' is implemented I'll start flipping desks with the best of them, but this really does seem like not much at all, made worse by the fact that Heppell really isn't great at interviews.
Yeah all fair points, it just read eerily similar to comments about the "process" and "system" that I've heard a lot out of the club and potentially got me jumping at shadows.

Fwiw I wouldn't be flipping desks if we lost first up, even with players out they're a tough trip. However should we lose to the Saints.....

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back