Life

Remove this Banner Ad

Written literature will soon disappear, and the art of writing will go with it. Keep books as long as possible, as those who know nothing but iPads and typing words with autocorrect might be fascinated one day.

I must be one of the few left who still downloads albums and burns them onto a cd to listen to in my car.

I put all my dvds into 2 boxes a few weeks ago, I was telling someone yesterday i doubt i'll buy another dvd ever again.

Listening to an album start to finish on physical media is how every album should be listened to initially.

There's something infinitely more tangible about it and once the disc is in your the machine you've made a commitment to the music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously though I still buy physical media because regional Australia is like a second class of people. Can't even get ADSL in a place of 20,000 lol.

There's not many bigger first world privilege brags than being able to stream everything.

To some extent but I have half a dozen suits and unlikely I'll have half a dozen formal events any year for example. That doesn't mean I should turf five of them.

Last and only time in my life I have worn a suit was March 31st 1984 and it was hired.

Written literature will soon disappear, and the art of writing will go with it. Keep books as long as possible, as those who know nothing but iPads and typing words with autocorrect might be fascinated one day.

Thats not really true. More kids are reading than ever and they prefer paper to e-readers.

Seriously though I still buy physical media because regional Australia is like a second class of people. Can't even get ADSL in a place of 20,000 lol.

There's not many bigger first world privilege brags than being able to stream everything.

Recently drove 4 hours north of Perth and back. Streaming Apple Music without interruption? Ha, forget it.

Where are these kids? All I see is infants learning to play on a phone or iPad before they can read.

Depends on the parents. My Missus kids read nightly at our place, yet have never read a book at their dads - in fact they don't have any books (he also lets them play fortnight at aged 5 and 6 - go figure)

Depends on the parents. My Missus kids read nightly at our place, yet have never read a book at their dads - in fact they don't have any books (he also lets them play fortnight at aged 5 and 6 - go figure)
"If you go home with someone and they don't have books, don't f*** them." John Waters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are these kids? All I see is infants learning to play on a phone or iPad before they can read.
I’ve read to both my kids basically every day since they were 1 (6 and 4 now). They choose to go to a reading club before school. The six-year-old can read and likes to do so every night before bed. Playing on a tablet doesn’t preclude good old fashioned book readin’.

Don't have kids but wouldn't give them e-books to read. If I'm reading to them then whether it's paperback or tablet or something I've got committed to memory it doesn't matter, but reading with young kids or giving them books to read themselves is different. Lots of poking and page turning etc. goes on which you don't get from an iPad. Plus if you give a kid an iPad to read a book and they know it has games they'll want games.

I believe there was a study done in the UK or America about what kids prefer.

But anecdotally I see it through my volunteering at a primary school. Kids enjoy recreational reading as much as they always have.

Parents just hand their kids a ipad or something, the kids might be too young to read, so that's what they grow up with.

It's also how s**t like the momo challenge happens cause dumbass parents just click whatever on youtube, they aren't educated at all on technology at all, don't know how to look for official channels.

When it comes to the internet, it would comfortably be the second most powerful and dangerous tool in the hands of people thoroughly ill equipped to use it, behind firearms in USA. In Australia, it would be first.

Last edited:
Parents just hand their kids a ipad or something, the kids might be too young to read, so that's what they grow up with.

It's also how s**t like the momo challenge happens cause dumbass parents just click whatever on youtube, they aren't educated at all on technology at all, don't know how to look for official channels.

When it comes to the internet, it would comfortably be the second most powerful an dangerous tool in the hands of people thoroughly ill equipped to use it, behind firearms in USA. In Australia, it would be first.

So many parents just leave their kids to their own devices on ipads/tablets. No parental control on internet or nothing. Some of the stuff our kids come back saying they saw on the internet after being at their dads is unbelievable - nudity, swearing, gore, violence etc. (again since the age of 3 and 4 and now 7 & 8). You speak with other parents and their kids are on them for 2-4 hours a day and most have anger issues or ill disciplined.

IPads are mandotary at some schools (primary and high school) to complete homework and assignments. Absolute madness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back