Post JLT: Should we be worried?

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree we don't have those elite kicking skills in the back six. I think it's about being unpredictable to the opposition - in JLT 1 and 2 we telegraphed our intentions to flick it around, run and carry. The opposition then know to press high and in numbers. Might sound simple but good sides kick it over high presses to advantage or 50-50s. But they will then run and carry when the press drops off and the opportunity arises. The game style is to treat each situation on its merits - not rigidly stick to a style.
That is exactly it. Being able to adjust depending on how the defense sets up is the key. Changing it up leaves defense scratching their head. We need to be more versatile.

Then I expect a different style from JLT come round 1.

Absolutely. I have no idea why anyone would be worried about our tackling or defensive pressure in JLT and how that might indicate our approach to the season.

Then what was the point of turning up to the JLT?

You mean besides the fact that attendance isn't optional for AFL clubs? I would say match fitness is the obvious answer.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nah. Any concerns I had were there before the practice matches. It’s pretty obvious they were playing bruise free footy with the lack of tackling pressure around the ball.

Absolutely. I have no idea why anyone would be worried about our tackling or defensive pressure in JLT and how that might indicate our approach to the season.

You mean besides the fact that attendance isn't optional for AFL clubs? I would say match fitness is the obvious answer.
But why not use this as an opportunity to fine tune our game plan and structures?
If we were trying to hide them from the other clubs, that would only work for round 1, as after that everyone will be able to see it. I just don't see any logical reason as to why we would have "tanked" the JLT...

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Not sure why anyone gets all antsy about practice matches. Is it because they get televised now? It wasn't all that long ago the coverage was limited so not alot of people had any idea what transpired.

I've been going to praccys all over the place since I had a driver's licence. What happened over the past 2 games is no different to what was happening in 1989.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

But why not use this as an opportunity to fine tune our game plan and structures?
If we were trying to hide them from the other clubs, that would only work for round 1, as after that everyone will be able to see it. I just don't see any logical reason as to why we would have "tanked" the JLT...

There's no such thing as tanking the JLT though is there? My view - and I understand others or even the club might not agree with it - is that two games for match fitness prior to Rd 1 won't change anything fundamentally about how the team has structured up and worked over the pre season. It will either click come round 1, not work, or other teams will have come up with smarter ways to play.

I can't see anything we do in these two games making much of a difference and hard to read too much into it when every club is coming from completely different positions with players let alone their expectations for the year. You can see some of that with how teams structure up IMO. West Coast came out pretty hard from what I saw but that makes sense to me - what they did worked (in 2018) and they expect to be the benchmark. They wouldn't be expecting to reinvent their style but to perfect it and make it a well drilled machine a la Richmond's 2018 efforts in the H&A. Whether that is how things pan out who knows but it makes sense to me.

For us we've lost a few key players to attrition (the defenders are getting the most attention) but for mine the obvious one is that we've lost a big part of our core defensive running players. Jacobs & Jed are our two best inside defensive players and I can see why the club might not particularly want any more attrition in this area due to injury or indeed minor suspensions over pre season.

Not sure why anyone gets all antsy about practice matches. Is it because they get televised now? It wasn't all that long ago the coverage was limited so not alot of people had any idea what transpired.

I've been going to praccys all over the place since I had a driver's licence. What happened over the past 2 games is no different to what was happening in 1989.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Same (well except for the 1989 part) ;). I've seen us taken apart in pre season games where we've obliterated the comp during the year. I've seen the opposite and I've also seen us destroy "good" teams pre season and have a much of a nothing season. It's worth watching and observing certain players and certain things - but only to a degree.

Last edited:

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
last year we were smashed by Melbourne and Daw looked like he was a complete bust in the back line. Our gameplan was nothing like the actual season - i don't know why ppl get so worked up about JLT, it's absolutely worthless, most coaches are trolling.

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
last year we were smashed by Melbourne and Daw looked like he was a complete bust in the back line. Our gameplan was nothing like the actual season - i don't know why ppl get so worked up about JLT, it's absolutely worthless, most coaches are trolling.
Hope you’re right

Bugsy Malone

Cancelled
Jul 10, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I look to the previous seasons results as a good indication of where the club is at, last season we looked below average in the pre season but started the real stuff in good form. Winning 12 games and only just missing out a few winnable games against good opposition such as the swans and tigers, showed we have a decent team when things clicked.The only major loss being Waite who missed a lot of footy, and with a couple of good ins and improvement in the younger players i will be looking forward to a great season this year.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In a simple answer, No, there’s no panic.

we were crushed last year in JLT, you wouldnt take much from it, its more giving certain players a role and to see whether they can execute it as a plan B type situations, to test game plan with new rules against opposition that are unaware of the game plan. Playing intra clubs, players are aware of switch movements and lead up targets, so in regard to playing roles you dont get much out of intra clubs. Its all tactics at the end of the day.

Dont sweat it!

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For me, JLT is about experimenting and working on your weaknesses. We suck at controlling the tempo, chipping around the backline, and creating run and carry via creative handball So it makes sense to work on those things during the JLT. I doubt we'll see as much of that in the regular season, we'll go back to our strengths. It will be back to the high intensity pressure and focus on winning the contested ball. For me, there is merit in trying to improve those areas of game as they are important in the right context. Noone really cares about the results, its mainly about getting match fitness and sharpening up skills. The football played in JLT will bear no resemblance to regular season football for most sides.

Back