Who would you rate as the weakest runners up of the last 20 years?

Which runners up do you rate as the weakest?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Us 2017 is probably top 2. We were flogged about 4-5 times that year by 5+ goals. Difference between good and bad as pretty clear and made clearer in the GF. Every time a team brought immense pressure we crumbled. Lucky to play GWS in round 1 who were dreadful and poorly coached that day, and then Geelong who decided to play Danger forward for the first quarter and give us a 5-6 goal head start.

Never really had a gauge on how good Collingwood were last season, their defense was too thin and there was no way around Darling/Kennedy.

Richmond IIRC were one of the worst clearance teams and Cotchin (worst year in years) and an injured Dusty vs Grundy+superstar mids, it didn't look too difficult on paper, although it was a great achievement given Richmonds record. Leading forwards like Cox and Jenkins really got a hold of Richmonds defense as well.

Us 2017 is probably top 2. We were flogged about 4-5 times that year by 5+ goals. Difference between good and bad as pretty clear and made clearer in the GF. Every time a team brought immense pressure we crumbled. Lucky to play GWS in round 1 who were dreadful and poorly coached that day, and then Geelong who decided to play Danger forward for the first quarter and give us a 5-6 goal head start.

I think you're being overly critical here. You finished top with easily the best percentage. The nature of the league at the moment is that you could throw a blanket over the top 10 teams in any given year, but it's still a great effort to finish top, and you went into the GF as strong favourites for a reason.

This is a pretty simple thread. If you're talking just about the Grand Final, it's Port easily. Didn't show up and Geelong showed up in about the most devestating way possible.

But if you're talking overall, Port were still the 2nd best side all year, and beat Geelong in Geelong less than 2 months prior, as well as beating the other strong sides in West Coast and Collingwood during the season.

It's hard to go past Carlton in 1999, making it from 6th at 12-10 and 102%.

Alex Woodward....
Oh "runners up"? ... I mean Collingwood obviously.

Ps. Sorry Alex, you're a star, I just couldn't hold back the dickishness.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I guess Carlton '99 was up there, but I mostly remember rage quitting that final series when we had to play another vic team in vic as a "home game", first class bullshit really. It's basically the only thing I remember out of the season!

Imma go with us in '15, it's probably not an entirely accurate recollection but we were basically a bunch of overachievers held together by clever tactics who then got fairly murdered. Easy to be magnanimous about it now, of course

The clown who voted for Hawthorn 2012 should publicly out themselves and promptly close their BigFooty account.

That side finished top, with a 17-5 record and a percentage of 154. They were one of the greatest home and away sides not to win the flag, as evidenced by them winning the next three. They were also beaten in the 2012 GF by a very good Swans team.

Last edited:
Easy to say Port, but Melbourne stick out for me.

Carlton infinitely better than them in 2000.

Port were 2nd best, beat Geelong and Hawks away in consecutive weeks.

Only defence would be Essendon 2000 was just as good as Geelong 2007.

Easy to say Port, but Melbourne stick out for me.

Carlton infinitely better than them in 2000.

Port were 2nd best, beat Geelong and Hawks away in consecutive weeks.

Only defence would be Essendon 2000 was just as good as Geelong 2007.

Carlton beat Melbourne by 98 points during the 2000 season and were expected to comfortably account for Melbourne in the qualifying final.

How Carlton lost that game to Melbourne is almost as perplexing as Essendon losing the preliminary final to Carlton the previous year.

The clown who voted for Hawthorn 2012 should publicly out themselves and promptly close their BigFooty account.

That side finished top, with a 17-5 record and a percentage of 154. They were one of the greatest home and away sides not to win the flag, as evidenced by them winning the next three. They were also beaten in the 2012 GF by a very good Swans team.

17-5 is good but it’s not ‘greatest never’ territory. There’s about 4 sides in the previous decade that have bigger claims at that title - four in a row in the years immediately before 2012 ffs.

Collingwood lost to one team all season in 2011, st Kilda lost two games all season in 2009, were basically just as good in 2010, and we lost just one in 2008.

17-5 is good but it’s not ‘greatest never’ territory. There’s about 4 sides in the previous decade that have bigger claims at that title - four in a row in the years immediately before 2012 ffs.

Collingwood lost to one team all season in 2011, st Kilda lost two games all season in 2009, were basically just as good in 2010, and we lost just one in 2008.

Maybe there are but certainly that Hawthorn side of 2012 was elite. They were 2-3 after 5 rounds and went on to win 17 of their last 20. They finished top and had a percentage 14 points better than the next best.

In terms of the thread title, they were nowhere near the worst team to lose a GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back