Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I'm happy to have him on the list, because if Gawn goes down we literally have no back-up.

But I don't see him playing in our best 22 when Gawn is fit. It may be tried on the odd occasion, especially if someone like Weideman is injured, but not often if everyone is fit.
I wonder if we'd have been so happy to let him go given what happened with Daw.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I know what you mean from a versatility point of view, but, as you know, Daw has become a fine defender, so I'm not sure there's much correlation there now. But you'd know better than me.
Daw's pinch-hitting in the ruck means Ben Brown doesn't have to do it so much. It's probably not a one-for-one issue, given I doubt we'll play two ruckmen in any case. Goldy likes the solo gig and does his best that way.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ve still got no issue with the trade because Tyson was unlikely to get any games this year barring injuries and we have a ready made backup for Gawn. It is still a weird move for Preuss though, he could conceivably barely play AFL for the next 3-4 years.

Footywizard

All Australian
Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He looked a little cooked the other day. But he's going to be a real handy type for the dees. Perfect backup if any tall goes down. Is more than capable of playing from the goal square and has a decent set shot.

On the other hand Tyson is an inside mid and will be played as such with the roos. So will be very valuable.

Is a win/win trade.

Tom campbell seems just as good a backup option for us as Preuss was anyway.

This trade is like the time Milhouse traded Bart Simpson's soul for ALF pogs

The fact that I can't figure out who is who in that analogy shows how bad it is.

Neither players are worldbeaters.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
The fact that I can't figure out who is who in that analogy shows how bad it is.

Neither players are worldbeaters.

Suspect Melbourne probably cleared some valuable cap space in that deal (get the feeling Tyson was on a big wicket ) so in that regard, Melbourne won the trade, don't think Tyson will add much to North, seems like a top up addition only (yes I am aware they need support for Cunnington in the guts)

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
He looked a little cooked the other day. But he's going to be a real handy type for the dees. Perfect backup if any tall goes down. Is more than capable of playing from the goal square and has a decent set shot.

On the other hand Tyson is an inside mid and will be played as such with the roos. So will be very valuable.

Is a win/win trade.

Tom campbell seems just as good a backup option for us as Preuss was anyway.

Or a Lose / Lose trade

Melbourne dont need a Ruckman like Preuss whilst they have the best Ruckman in the league and McDonald/Weideman able
to chop out
North dont need another slow inside mid

Nil all draw

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Who's our backup ruck if Gawn goes down ?
Pretty expensive backup if thats what he is.

Think with Preuss people just look at his massive size and think Sandilands but have not seen anything from him at AFL level that indicates he will get to that level. Game is past the big lug that cant get around the ground these days

Gawn & Grundy are the mobile types that will be the way of the future and unless the Ruckman can accumulate possessions and provide options they are a liability

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Pretty expensive backup if thats what he is.

Think with Preuss people just look at his massive size and think Sandilands but have not seen anything from him at AFL level that indicates he will get to that level. Game is past the big lug that cant get around the ground these days

Gawn & Grundy are the mobile types that will be the way of the future and unless the Ruckman can accumulate possessions and provide options they are a liability
I couldn't care how expensive he is or isn't.

We now have important backup.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Melbourne has zero realistic ruck back up. Preuss is just 23 so also has some development in him. However will be able to step in if needed now. Tyson was mid a which is an area we have depth. I don’t think preuss is being paid silly $. Not sure how this whole deal has been expensive.

Yeah I don't see how 2 sides swapping surplus players to fill a need could be seen as an expensive deal for either side.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Yeah I don't see how 2 sides swapping surplus players to fill a need could be seen as an expensive deal for either side.

Agree - Tyson going back to play where he is best suited - inside mid - allows Ziebell to play forward. The gap between Ziebell the mid and Ziebell the forward is stark. With a little more accuracy this JZ could be looking at kicking close to 50 goals. I think the 6-6-6 rule will really suit him.

Preuss is great insurance for Gawn. We are now weak with Daw out for the year but we didn't know that at trade time. Still I am good with this trade.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was monstrous yesterday against a very good player in Kreuzer. Would have lost yesterday if we hadn't done this trade. Hope he plays the rest of the year with McDonald injured.
With Tmac out I think he’ll get a run with Gawn who I’d say is very likely for this week. Then next year I’d say he’ll need a big pre season to give him the best chance of playing alongside Gawn next year.

Back