Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

37 - [PLAYERCARD]Dylan Clarke[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Not offered a contract for 2021
Last Game Played: Round 23, 2021 (omitted)
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Confident My Boy will crack the Best 22 this year #ClarkeCam

Man I doubt it, his kick in the JLT was horrendous, he has made barely any in roads, which is an absolute shame because he looks good to go with everything else, but it’s just that bad.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
That’s a snap across the body... surely

In the 6 inches between ball drop and photo, the ball has already rotated 90 degrees, by my calculations, from that drop height there is around 18 inches between drop and boot impact, meaning the ball will rotate in the vicinity of 270 degrees....the good news is, if he can time the rotation there is a chance he will have impact bang on the 180 degree rotation point. It's not much but there's a chance. It's around the same odds as hitting the exhaust port on the death star.

Squeaky

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2005
Up north
AFL Club
Essendon
In the 6 inches between ball drop and photo, the ball has already rotated 90 degrees, by my calculations, from that drop height there is around 18 inches between drop and boot impact, meaning the ball will rotate in the vicinity of 270 degrees....the good news is, if he can time the rotation there is a chance he will have impact bang on the 180 degree rotation point. It's not much but there's a chance. It's around the same odds as hitting the exhaust port on the death star.

Dylan Skywalker??

PS - is that Franga in your profile pic? :D

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Time for a quiz, is he kicking...

A: a torpedo
B: a screw punt
C: a banana
D: a mongrel floater

View attachment 634379

Given it's Clarke we can't be sure exactly what he's doing. Part of me hopes it's an inside out torp on the right boot, despite appearing like he might try to kick it with his left.

Oct 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics
Bloke has become a list clogger every time he gets a game he looks horrible sorry but delist material.
Sure just don’t think he is good enough to play at the top level. one of those players who’s good at VFL level but won’t translate to the AFL.
I'm going to have a turn at saying extreme tripe, let me know if I'm doing this right.

Dylan Clarke has a 100% win rate at AFL level therefore, he is our greatest player...that we've ever had.....ever.

Has played 1 game since he's been drafted and if he's so good at VFL level why don't the coaches pick him?
You can be a good VFL player and not be ready for AFL in your first 2 years you know? That is a thing. If Trent Mynott doesn't get a game this year will you call him a list clogger as well? What about Kobe Mutch, he's only played 3 games in 2 years? The point is he's 20 years old, and was very good in the VFL as a teenager. Hardly qualifies as list clogger status.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Has played 1 game since he's been drafted and if he's so good at VFL level why don't the coaches pick him?

Well I think the argument is that we have a strong midfield with stacks of high quality ball winners.

The even bigger problem for Clarke, though, is that he cant be relied on to kick the ball. A player like that can't play AFL.

I'd be interested to know if there has been any technical intervention of if he has just been left to sort it out or told to back himself or some other useless s**t.

If he finishes 2019 kicking the ball as he did at the end of 2018 he wont survive. That doesnt make him a list clogger unless we've been doing the same thing expecting a different result.

If someone could just click his or her fingers and give Clarke the power of AFL average/serviceable standard footskills (e.g. Ambrose), I reckon he'd be best 22. At least until all the other selection criteria kick in.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Every team has the ability to carry one bloke who can't kick as long as their main strength over rides it and they stick to what they know....and they need to be prepared to be a whipping boy when it goes bad

Think of guys like Wil Langford, Shane tuck, Rhys Palmer, maybe even Swan or Rockliff to much less extent...

It can happen, just be ready to run past for a handball when they mark

Back