News We’re going to Dingleyland! Construction to begin.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Me either

Hawthorn wants to build one of the world’s biggest and best training bases at its new Dingley home by the end of 2022.
The club has submitted new plans to construct a dazzling $130 million headquarters and community facility across 80 acres.

The Hawks will contribute about $80 million and seek $50 million in Government and AFL funds to complete the Kennedy Community Centre.

View attachment 634499
NOICE!!!!

Not sure if anyone else sees it, but the overhead view of the buildings gives me a sense of the old Glenferrie Deco sweeping curves design...I LOVE IT.:hearteyes:

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
NOICE!!!!

Not sure if anyone else sees it, but the overhead view of the buildings gives me a sense of the old Glenferrie Deco sweeping curves design...I LOVE IT.:hearteyes:
For those that haven't seen what you refer to.
tuck stand.jpg

tuck stand two.jpg

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Punters on the Herald Sun page whinging "Not with my tax dollars!" have a lot of difficulty seeing the long term. I'm very much a small government, anti-tax sort of person - but you'd have to be stupid not to see that the net gain from an initiative like this far outstrips the $50m investment.
These ventures rarely make sense without government funding on the promise of public access. The club and the public get better facilities then either would on their own :)

From last nights function and article:

- 80 acre site to be split 1/3 Hawthorn use, 2/3 community use
- 4 ovals (1 to include 500 seat stand that could be used for VFL and AFLW games), 2 soccer fields
- 6 indoor basketball courts
- indoor aquatic centre
- include educational facility
- hawks to stay in pokies, no immediate intention to leave, just to add different revenue streams such as commencing a sports management business (like what they're doing with SEM Phoenix NBL team and apparently new A-League team)
- plan to be complete by end of 2022
- $130m total cost, Hawks to provide $80m and seek Govt funding for $50m
- 1000 onsite car parks
Interesting that we're getting 1/3 use but footing 2/3 of the bill. I'm sure there's a logical reason behind that.

Interesting that we're getting 1/3 use but footing 2/3 of the bill. I'm sure there's a logical reason behind that.
Reading between the lines I interpret 1/3 Harthorn exclusive private usage. 2/3 available to the community when not in use by HFC who will always get priority access....

Reading between the lines I interpret 1/3 Harthorn exclusive private usage. 2/3 available to the community when not in use by HFC who will always get priority access....
It could also mean revenue from leasing function centre, cafes, parking will go to club.
And the 1/3 exclusively used by Hawthorn will be where the majority of the $130m will be spent.
All logical possibilities.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From last nights function and article:

- 80 acre site to be split 1/3 Hawthorn use, 2/3 community use
- 4 ovals (1 to include 500 seat stand that could be used for VFL and AFLW games), 2 soccer fields
- 6 indoor basketball courts
- indoor aquatic centre
- include educational facility
- hawks to stay in pokies, no immediate intention to leave, just to add different revenue streams such as commencing a sports management business (like what they're doing with SEM Phoenix NBL team and apparently new A-League team)
- plan to be complete by end of 2022
- $130m total cost, Hawks to provide $80m and seek Govt funding for $50m
- 1000 onsite car parks
Basketball courts and aquatic centre are needed in the area and will greatly assist in us getting government funding and also help bring in a bit of revenue.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
500 seat stadium.... perfect

We’re not going to build a stadium but if we did I presume there would be options for temporary / removable grandstands plus standing room around the ground. 500 seats plus standing room could very easily fill out to a 5000 to 10000 capacity stadium (perfect for practice matches, finals training and AFLW matches)

A major issue with a stadium is probably zoning and traffic flow.

Still we can all dream

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
500 seat stadium.... perfect

It must have been an interesting process deciding on what to build as the dollar number rose...
For $200 mil KC built a 20,000 seat very high end soccer stadium recently, absolutely gorgeous and a complete hit with the supporters...always sold out.
Sporting KC Stadium.jpg

Could we have done the same as 50-70 million turned into 85 million turned in to 130 million..... perhaps parlayed in to 200 mill of our own stadium that we bank receipts from directly ourselves?

It must have been an interesting process deciding on what to build as the dollar number rose...
For $200 mil KC built a 20,000 seat very high end soccer stadium recently, absolutely gorgeous and a complete hit with the supporters...always sold out.
View attachment 634822

Could we have done the same as 50-70 million turned into 85 million turned in to 130 million..... perhaps parlayed in to 200 mill of our own stadium that we bank receipts from directly ourselves?

That's a tiny stadium compared to what would be required for an AFL ground.

Either way, when you look at the designs there is ample room left around the ground for expansions.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That's a tiny stadium compared to what would be required for an AFL ground.

Ahem, so nothing like what we use in Tassie then?:think:
Reckon sold out games for us v Port, WC, Adelaide, Bris, GWS, Freo would make a helluva lot more in our own 20,000 seater (lets bump to 25K for arguments sake?) than the same thing done over and over again in Tasmania for zero growth support over the last 10 years, or in half empty stadium at Etihad or quarter filled one at the G.

Last edited:

Dave Id

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
Some Australian Mountain Range
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao FC
The real change is we are allowing governments the chance to fund community facilities, to the tune of $50 million, on OUR LAND!

We are still in for $80 million.

Ahem, so nothing like what we use in Tassie then?:think:

"Soccer is a game played by two opposing teams on a field 90 to 120 meters long and 45 to 90 meters wide."

Total Area - 4,050m2 to 10,800m2

"For senior football, the playing field is an oval, typically between 135–185 metres long goal-to-goal and 110–155 metres wide wing-to-wing."

Total Area - 11,665m2 to 22,520m2

In terms of area, AFL ovals are hayuuuge and would cost a hell of a lot more to develop than a Soccer Oval - particularly when you factor in that we were already committed to building a training and administrative facility as well. It cost $65m just to upgrade an already existing Spotless for GWS back in 2010, and $90m to upgrade Metricon.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
"Soccer is a game played by two opposing teams on a field 90 to 120 meters long and 45 to 90 meters wide."

Total Area - 4,050m2 to 10,800m2

"For senior football, the playing field is an oval, typically between 135–185 metres long goal-to-goal and 110–155 metres wide wing-to-wing."

Total Area - 11,665m2 to 22,520m2

In terms of area, AFL ovals are hayuuuge and would cost a hell of a lot more to develop than a Soccer Oval - particularly when you factor in that we were already committed to building a training and administrative facility as well. It cost $65m just to upgrade an already existing Spotless for GWS back in 2010, and $90m to upgrade Metricon.

Not sure oval size would play any part in it, I'm talking about seating for 20-25k people, which is the same regardless of configuration...so I would configure a stadium similarly to soccer, emphasizing the sides of the field with best viewing and getting rid of the behind goals seats altogether.
Build two banana shaped seating pavillions either side of the wings with sparkling amenities.
Think the cost could be made to function to the need, not the traditional expectations.

Back