Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Richardson
Behrendorff
NCN
Zampa
Lyon

Is there a realistic case for anyone from outside that 18? I mean you can press a case for Short and Wade but i dont think either have a hope at this late stage.

I wouldn't bother with Lyon in the UK so leaves one bat and one bowl to be cut. Potentially injuries will decide that for the selectors.

People have very short memories when it comes to SMarsh, though I guess at 36, even two bad games can get the drums beating.

Patience has run thin, particularly when coupled with the fact he has been highly inconsistent over a 15 year career playing a relatively low risk game

People have very short memories when it comes to SMarsh, though I guess at 36, even two bad games can get the drums beating.

No offence to Marsh, but with Smith to come back in, someone has to go in the middle order. He's the most likely candidate, presuming Warner steps in for Finch, and Cummins takes the Captains hat.

Alternatively we could go with the two quicks, plus a spinner (Zampa or Lyon) and the two part timers in Maxwell and Stoinis and play an extra batsman.

Not sure why Warner and Smith are considered locks for the World Cup First XI.

There must be a good feeling in the dressing room at the moment with the way the current squad is performing.

By basically catapulting these guys into the one-day side, it may generate an underlying feeling of discontent amongst the playing group.

I'd most likely have them in the squad however ranked the below batsmen:

- Finch
- S Marsh
- Khawaja
- Maxwell
- Stoinis
- Handscomb

The players who have contributed over the past 12 months should be picked first.

No offence to Marsh, but with Smith to come back in, someone has to go in the middle order. He's the most likely candidate, presuming Warner steps in for Finch, and Cummins takes the Captains hat.

Alternatively we could go with the two quicks, plus a spinner (Zampa or Lyon) and the two part timers in Maxwell and Stoinis and play an extra batsman.
One shouldn’t confuse Test form with ODI form. He has been our best ODI player in the past year by a fair margin. Last couple of games have been average and Khawaja and Handscomb have done well but if people look beyond a handful of games, he should still be ahead of both those guys. But as I said, at his age, he gets less patience.

Warner has over 4,000 ODI runs, Smith over 3,000. Plus Smith's first 30 ODIs were junk and from 2014 onwards he's been a gun. Only Finch in the squad has over 3,000 runs with Marsh and Maxwell as the only other batsmen in 4 figures. Compare that to India and they have Kohli 10,000, Sharma 8,000, Dhawan 5,000, Jadeja 2,000.

If they are fit and in any sort of touch they are in the squad. It's not like Bancroft and the test team where he was still trying to cement a place. They are the two best we have.

One shouldn’t confuse Test form with ODI form. He has been our best ODI player in the past year by a fair margin. Last couple of games have been average and Khawaja and Handscomb have done well but if people look beyond a handful of games, he should still be ahead of both those guys. But as I said, at his age, he gets less patience.

Averaged 59 last year and 42 this year. Has been in great nick until this series where he made 16, 7 and 6. Made two 100s in the last ODI series in England so is still very much in the frame.

We're in a real pickle with Khawaja and Handscomb performing and Finch and Marsh not. Be interesting to see what happens in the UAE series.

There must be a good feeling in the dressing room at the moment with the way the current squad is performing.

By basically catapulting these guys into the one-day side, it may generate an underlying feeling of discontent amongst the playing group.

I'd most likely have them in the squad however ranked the below batsmen:

- Finch
- S Marsh
- Khawaja
- Maxwell
- Stoinis
- Handscomb

The players who have contributed over the past 12 months should be picked first.

because other than finch they have accumulated several odi tons and we've only won like 6 or 7 of our past 30 odi's.

1. Warner
2. Khawaja
3. Smith
4. Handscomb (WK)
5. Finch (C)
6. Maxwell
7. Stoinis
8. Cummins (VC)
9. Starc
10. Coulter-Nile
11. Zampa
Like this a lot actually. Could be good for Finch to drop down the order and regain some time at the crease with not as much pressure on the scoring rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like this a lot actually. Could be good for Finch to drop down the order and regain some time at the crease with not as much pressure on the scoring rate.

He'll get killed in England facing the new ball. Batting lower down the order makes a lot of sense, and he's done it in the IPL to good effect.

people opinion change after each game. Would love to see how much everyones XI change after the next 5 ODIs

Agree I think Marsh is finished. Handscomb just locked himself in the squad and probably the 11 for the world cup. Maxwell should not even be close to a lock in the squad and Turner is a better option than him. Smith and Warner are the interesting ones and there IPL form will play a role. Smith in for me but no Warner.

My Eleven

Finch
Khawaja
Handscomb
Smith
Stoinis
Turner
Carey
Richardson
Cummings
Stark
Zampa

Rest of the squad

Lyon
Maxwell
Berendorf
S.Marsh

Marsh is finished? I don’t think so. To drop a guy who scored two centuries in England last year along with scoring four hundreds in eight games would not only be ridiculous but grossly unfair.

I would have him batting at no.3 in the World Cup.

My squad of 15 in batting order:

Warner
Khawaja
Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
Stonis
Carey
Coulter-Nile
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

Handscomb
Lyon
Richardson
M.Marsh

Last edited:
My squad of 15 in batting order:

Warner
Khawaja
Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
Stonis
Carey
Couter-Nile
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

Handscomb
Lyon
Richardson
M.Marsh

Well Finch will be the captain and you don't even have him in the squad, and how can you have handscomb out of the team and Maxwell in it? Mitch Marsh??? Surely you jest.

Well Finch will be the captain and you don't even have him in the squad, and how can you have handscomb out of the team and Maxwell in it? Mitch Marsh??? Surely you jest.

Because it is my team that’s why. I don’t believe Finch should be in the team or squad. He has a very poor technique and is constantly bowled or LBW.

Nor do I think he is a tactical genius. Handscomb is unlucky. We need another all-rounder and I believe Mitch Marsh could fill that role.

I reckon Mitch marsh is a better all round option than stoinis...

Marsh is a better bowler and gets on with it with the bat...stoinis does not

saying that Mitch will not be picked for the WC

The domestic fixture hasn't helped players like MMarsh, Short and Wade the opportunity to try force their way into the squad. Would have been handy if the 50 over competition was tied into the Shield fixtures.

On this board you are only as good as your last 3 games. Unless you are Glenn Maxwell.

I will make the comment which might surprise you all in I think if Glenn Maxwell focused and the Australian selectors allow him he would make a better test cricketer then 1 day or T20 cricket.Huge talent and at this stage wasted.

Further back the thoughts of short-termism and immediately discounting Marsh after a couple of poor innings. He's the only batsman who didn't go on to make a decent score in this series, but it's a bit disappointing to see many ignorant of his performances over the past couple of years in the ODI side essentially holding the batting together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back