Analysis Best 22 for 2019?

I reckon Ahern is rotating through the middle and at centre square bounces, just quietly.
Of course he is. Hall is too.
You'll soon see that Paul Ahern is one of our best contested ball-winners.

Brad will be very keen to use Hall's breakaway pace in the middle.
Pace can be pretty helpful getting the ball into outside situations though. Or you can use breakaway pace from a stoppage and go straight from inside to forward which Hall will do. Especially handy if Higgins is being sat on as last year he was the only one able to do it.

A Cunnington/Higgins/Hall combo would be good combo at the start of games when we have gotten on top early and want to pile goals on. Swap it out to Cunninton/Anderson/Tyson in red time to slow things down and prevent late goals.

On Ahern I think he'll just be one of our best straight up ball-winners. Going off a small sample but I don't think his 22 contested possession match was a fluke. A true 360 footballer that sees options others don't.

100% agree with you two fine gentlemen on all of the above. Without getting into the whole inside/outside discussion, both Ahern and Hall are very capable of winning their own ball at stoppages, and both boast attributes that not only provide a point of difference wrt our current set-up, but also greatly improve us in there. Obviously with rotations and available personnel, etc, it's all about finding the right mix/balance at any given stage of the game, but I'm hoping both of them are given as much time at centre bounces as possible.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Ahern is best suited to being a centre square mid.

Goldstein, Cunners, Higgins, Ahern.

That starting four is superb.
While I agree that is a superb starting 4, I have some concerns with that group if we don't win it, as none of them are particularly great defensively, or great at countering the burst-type players that other teams might have in there.

When they're fit, I think Jacobs or Anderson needs to be in there when we come up against the better midfields for their defensive ability, which is just as important as winning the ball imo, probably for Ahern.

Silver finger

Senior List
Mar 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
B: Williams M$$$$ W$$$$
HB: JMac EVW M$$$$
C: Polec Cunnington Dumont
HF: Ahern B$$$$ Hall
F: W$$$ Z$$$$$ A$$$$
Foll: Goldstein LDU Tyson
Int: Scott Thomas S$$$$$ P$$$$

I wanna get their spelling back during Round 1

roos_tt29

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
B: Williams Tarrant EVW
HB: JMac McKay Wright
C: Polec Jacobs Dumont
HF: Hall Wood Scott
F: Ziebell Brown Atley
Foll: Goldstein Cunnington Higgins
Int/Emerg: Ahern, LDU, Tyson, Simpkin, Turner, Zurhaar, Pittard (pick 4 - other 3 will be emergencies)

Rested/Managed: Anderson, Garner
Injured: Durdin, Daw
Suspended: Thompson, Campbell
VFL: LMac, Taylor, Thomas, Watson, Xerri, Wilkinson, Murphy (x2), McKenzie, Larkey, Hrovat, Hayden

What stands out there for me is the lack of speed in our defensive line. Not sure how we'll address this going forward. Will be interested to see what Brad does here.

Jacobs - if he's 'managed', not sure who comes in to this role. Could see Fyfe get right off the chain.

Last edited:
B: EVW Tarrant Thompson
HB: MacMillan McKay Wright
C: Polec Higgins Dumont
HF: Hall Wood Atley
F: Simpkin Brown Ziebell
R: Goldstein Cunnington Anderson
I: Ahern LDU Tyson Scott
E: Williams Zurhaar Pittard Turner

INJ: Daw, Garner, Jacobs
Injuries and form have so far shown it to be a disappointing preseason so hoping things change

Last edited:

osaka mick

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton, 76s, Canucks
Just putting it out their, but I dont have Wood in my starting 22. Mostly an overrated player IMO. Has potential to do a lot more, but has basically underperformed his entire career, minus 5 minutes against the Swans last year, and maybe his first season!! I would invest in Larkey, as a player who can ruck as well, and play him as the deepest forward. No Wood for me!!

Just putting it out their, but I dont have Wood in my starting 22. Mostly an overrated player IMO. Has potential to do a lot more, but has basically underperformed his entire career, minus 5 minutes against the Swans last year, and maybe his first season!! I would invest in Larkey, as a player who can ruck as well, and play him as the deepest forward. No Wood for me!!

I'm not far off this mick. He has talent no doubt and is smart enough to play good team roles but he doesn't have a free pass for the year. Even leaving that aside he can't afford to keep missing games through injury with Larkey fast approaching, Watson showing real presence up forward and the possibility of McKay needing somewhere else if the backline stabilises. That's without even thinking about Daw coming back who I'd swap for Wood in a heartbeat if it was an either or choice.

roos_tt29

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
HB: JMac McKay Wright
C: Polec Jacobs Dumont
HF: Hall Wood Scott
F: Ziebell Brown Atley
Int/Emerg: Ahern, LDU, Tyson, Simpkin, Turner, Zurhaar, Pittard (pick 4 - other 3 will be emergencies)

Rested/Managed: Anderson, Garner
VFL: LMac, Taylor, Thomas, Watson, Xerri, Wilkinson, Murphy (x2), McKenzie, Larkey, Hrovat, Hayden

What stands out there for me is the lack of speed in our defensive line. Not sure how we'll address this going forward. Will be interested to see what Brad does here.

Jacobs - if he's 'managed', not sure who comes in to this role. Could see Fyfe get right off the chain.

Had a bit of a re-think on this one. I'd almost give Wright a week to make sure he's 100%. I'd also give Scott a crack off a HBF - good speed, game awareness and decision making for a young kid.

HB: JMac McKay Scott
C: Polec Ahern Dumont
HF: Hall Wood Atley
F: Ziebell Brown Simpkin
Int: LDU, Tyson, Turner, Zurhaar
Emerg: LMac, Pittard, Larkey

Rested/Managed: Anderson, Garner, Jacobs
VFL: Taylor, Thomas, Watson, Xerri, Wilkinson, R.Murphy, McKenzie, Hrovat, Hayden

Atley hasn't played back in years

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He did it a bit in 2017 while being mostly a forward (only qualified as a forward in the fantasy games for 2018) and was a full-time forward last year. I'd be fine with sending him back there for a game or two in a pinch. All things being equal there are others I'd prefer to pump games into though.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He did it a bit in 2017 while being mostly a forward (only qualified as a forward in the fantasy games for 2018) and was a full-time forward last year. I'd be fine with sending him back there for a game or two in a pinch. All things being equal there are others I'd prefer to pump games into though.
He cops a lot of flak, he is a good forward and I would much prefer him to other alternatives in the half forward role (Turner, Zurhaar, Hrovat)

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back