Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Soapy V - this is very easy, which part is just wrong?

I had three facts listed - so presume you mean one of the following three points is "just wrong".

I presume you agree the club printed the article Monday?
I presume you agree with your previous statement coaches and player knew Sunday Liam wasn't playing? Which it is therefore odd for the club to print an article the next day telling fans they would see him for the first time?

The only other "fact" i stated was "If you don't have sound communication skills and the trust of the group, you simply can not educate or teach them "

I guess that is an opinion you could disagree with, however most management literature will support my theory.

Best to let it go & move on.

jezza25

All Australian
Oct 2, 2008
Torquay
AFL Club
Carlton
This game didn't have my full attention as it was the day after my wedding but this is what I took from it.

Walsh is gonna be one of those guys who just gives you an excellent output every week.

Cunners will be our biggest improver this year.

Daisy, SPS, Murph all great.

Phillips worries me as the number one ruck. Doesn't offer anything around the ground.

All in all, a great hitout by the boys. Bring on Round 1!
You sick of being happy ?

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah Charlie gathers 14 possessions, 7 marks (2 contested) and 1 goal 2 in a shortened match and everyone thinks it is a disaster, Harry takes 4 contested marks and we have to wait for him to start clunking them.

These two are going to have good years but let's not expect them to dominate every game like Carey.
Exactly.

They may dominate patches in games and kick a few goals quickly or have a quarter or two where they clunk everything is sight, but they won't be doing it regularly for another couple of years.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
This game didn't have my full attention as it was the day after my wedding but this is what I took from it.

Walsh is gonna be one of those guys who just gives you an excellent output every week.

Cunners will be our biggest improver this year.

Daisy, SPS, Murph all great.

Phillips worries me as the number one ruck. Doesn't offer anything around the ground.

All in all, a great hitout by the boys. Bring on Round 1!
Congratulations.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
JLT and practice games are an opportunity to give young kids a taste of on field action. Teams like Richmond, Sydney and Hawks played their full compliment of 26 players last weekend, while other teams played 25 and 24 players. We only played 22.

Club erred imo. Could have easily played another 2 guys and given them a better experience.
We are trying to get our best 22 to gel. We have so many new faces.

The clubs you mentioned have a much more settled line up. Where the majority of their players know the system. Playing a few extra kids to try them out is easier, given they wouldn't expect most of them to play much during the year.

We did it a couple of years ago too. Hell, even LeBois got some game time.

At the moment we are trying to settle and get the repetitions in with as stable a line up as possible.

GoBlues!

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
We are trying to get our best 22 to gel. We have so many new faces.

The clubs you mentioned have a much more settled line up. Where the majority of their players know the system. Playing a few extra kids to try them out is easier, given they wouldn't expect most of them to play much during the year.

We did it a couple of years ago too. Hell, even LeBois got some game time.

At the moment we are trying to settle and get the repetitions in with as stable a line up as possible.

Other teams like GCS and Lions played 26 players, not just the experienced settled clubs k-man.

No doubt we took a different approach and played just the 22 with 2 guys sitting out effectively as emergencies. Maybe it was to condition the players to in-season games where there is only 4 on the bench, a bit like we did in previous years when we used fewer rotations in preseason games.

Anyway enough said. I'll have to wait another week or two to see Stocker in action.

cfc05

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Other teams like GCS and Lions played 26 players, not just the experienced settled clubs k-man.

No doubt we took a different approach and played just the 22 with 2 guys sitting out effectively as emergencies. Maybe it was to condition the players to in-season games where there is only 4 on the bench, a bit like we did in previous years when we used fewer rotations in preseason games.

Anyway enough said. I'll have to wait another week or two to see Stocker in action.

Here are some facts to support your statement Go Blues:

Geelong 26 Players used (0 25% game time or under) V Essendon 26 (3)
GWS 26 (1) V Adelaide 25 (2)
PA 23 (0) V NM 26 (1)
Mel 23 (1) V Bris 26 (1)
Haw 26 (0) v Rich 26 (2)
Syd 26 (1) V GC 26 (1)
WB 25 (1) v STK 25 (0)
FRE 25 (2) v WC 24 (1)
COLL 24 (0) v CAR 22 (0)

Carlton were the only team to play 22 players, 17 other coaches decided it was was beneficial for their side to play more. Port Adelaide appear to have had a similar approach to us.

Carlton staff backed in their program and played 22. Ultimately it is what is best for our players and our current stage of program, so I will 100% back in the plan if that is what the minds at Carlton think is the best approach.

The above highlights 12 of the 18 coaches thought it was good planning for the season to play a player 25% or less game time. Clearly, both approaches have strong merits and will all be dependent on the current stage of each players/clubs pre-season.

Wouldn't let anyone tell you it is putting the cue in the rack or a negative to give the players a limited run, clearly majority of coaching panels in the league support it GoBlues. It simply must not have fit our plan for the day, workloads would have been shifted and managed according to game time.

Looking forward to winning round 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
By the way, who in Collingwood's midfield are considered fast? None have breakaway pace. They work together cohesively, have great positioning and effective disposal.
Hosking-Elliot, De Goey, Stephenson.

Their trick isn't pace so much as it's weight of numbers and always having one or two extra players of quality that the opposition cannot cover. They might not have the greatest quality - although Pendlebury, Sidebottom aren't bad at all - but their worst mids would sit quite comfortably in the top 10 at most clubs for midfield rotation.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Their trick isn't pace so much as it's weight of numbers and always having one or two extra players of quality that the opposition cannot cover. They might not have the greatest quality - although Pendlebury, Sidebottom aren't bad at all - but their worst mids would sit quite comfortably in the top 10 at most clubs for midfield rotation.

Collingwood certainly do have quality...pendles, sidebottom, treloar and beams is an elite midfield and prob best starting 4 mids in the comp on paper.

Then they can rotate guys like Adams, greenwood in a negating role, varcoe, de goey, Phillips etc who are good players as the support cast.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't wish to do a count, but I dare say we beat them at stoppages on Monday and may well do so again.

It's the link up play that allow their midfield so many possessions and I feel Cripps with 25 odd was a lot more damaging than Treloar's 40 or Pendlebury's 35 odd. Sidebottom was though a lot more impactful, running into the right spaces, time and again.

Only jlt but our stoppage work looks excellent so far...great signs. Yes we beat both essendon and collingwood in stoppages.

Pendles' output isn't what it once was still a good player though not a star anymore.

I'd say treloar, sidebottom and beams are very impactful players with typically meaningful possessions...they run all day, big metres gained and are goal kicking mids.

Only jlt but our stoppage work looks excellent so far...great signs. Yes we beat both essendon and collingwood in stoppages.

Pendles' output isn't what it once was still a good player though not a star anymore.

I'd say treloar, sidebottom and beams are very impactful players with typically meaningful possessions...they run all day, big metres gained and are goal kicking mids.

I think so.

Cripps killing it.
SPS has been class, getting first hands to the ball regularly
Dow has just been pile-driven into the ground, time after time. :) Some of his bursts out of packs is what we'll be seeing aa lot more of, soon enough.
Setterfield also coming on beautifully and making things look easier than they would be for most.

Fisher has been the poorest to date from my perspective, but we know how good he is and will be, when he gets to the fall of the ball.
Then there's Kennedy.....and Walsh....and all being well, Stocker.
I notice Cuningham also had a few run throughs for a change of pace.

There's a nice balance starting to take shape. I really like it and it could ll go belly-up tomorrow.....but that's not going to happen.
This is the foundation of a very strong midfield and the oldest is Cripps, who will turn 24 in a few days time. So young

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I think so.

Cripps killing it.
Dow has just been pile-driven into the ground, time after time. :) Some of his bursts out of packs is what we'll be seeing aa lot more of, soon enough.
Setterfield also coming on beautifully and making things look easier than they would be for most.

Fisher has been the poorest to date from my perspective, but we know how good he is and will be, when he gets to the fall of the ball.

There's a nice balance starting to take shape. I really like it and it could ll go belly-up tomorrow.....but that's not going to happen.
This is the foundation of a very strong midfield and the oldest is Cripps, who will turn 24 in a few days time. So young

Yep, liked Cuningham for the odd rotation.

Unassuming sort of player, but when the others can get the ball to him he has a knack for shrugging contact and finding some space.

Got a really good feeling about the lad this season.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton

They're ok I guess

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I think so.

Cripps killing it.

This is the foundation of a very strong midfield and the oldest is Cripps, who will turn 24 in a few days time. So young[/QUOTE

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if it’s been mentioned before but did anyone notice Cripps coming out of the contest with a little more zip than normal? Example in last few moments of the last quarter coming from a Centre square stoppage and hitting Curnow lace out. Legs and arms were pumping and looked that bit quicker.
Looks like he has finally completely grown into his body.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Back