Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Coming of an interrupted pre-season, so understandably isn't quite up to scratch just yet, new rules should be of some benefit to him too, only $7 for Coleman, behind Buddy and Josh Kennedy, an injury free season, and some better quality delivery should mean a 70-80+ goal return.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Historically he's covered huge KMs for any player let alone a KPF. In the 2nd half of last season no idea what his stats were but I observed him standing and flapping his arms in congestion at contests most of the time. Would assume his KMs were down during that period but haven't confirmed.
Would be interesting to see his numbers, last half of the season was only average output wise.
To be honest if he is covering 15km a game i would like to see him get it abit more, at least 1 disposal per km. you are right though last half of the season he was searching for the infringement a little more than i would like. not saying it wasnt there though.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I heard part of an interview on Triple M last week before the game, I think they were talking to Jarred Moore. They posed the question “Where could BB improve? I think his endurance needs some work so he can get up and down the ground” (or something to that effect). The response was “uhhh, he’s actually one of the best endurance runners at the club. He’s constantly top of the kms run in a game”.

Nothing like doing a bit of research before spout off ideas!
One thing I think he could improve is the ability to use his knees or feet on the lead like Waite.
He needs a hurt a few defenders for dropping in front of him.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One thing I think he could improve is the ability to use his knees or feet on the lead like Waite.
He needs a hurt a few defenders for dropping in front of him.
Did i hear that they banned the use of feet? or was that something they were looking into?

Did i hear that they banned the use of feet? or was that something they were looking into?

ef91065322137b5b3060724ba64451e6f931f828

The Toby Greene rule.

Was that a marking contest?

Yep, and Smith put his foot out to protect space as the Cats player approached, missing him by a mile. It appears it's going to be ruled like in Soccer with the studs up rule for tackling. If it looks dangerous it's enough for a free kick.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Yep, and Smith put his foot out to protect space as the Cats player approached, missing him by a mile. It appears it's going to be ruled like in Soccer with the studs up rule for tackling. If it looks dangerous it's enough for a free kick.

Oh Goodie. Or should I say Goodsie.

In a game of subjective judgements things just got a whole lot more subjective.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I dont like it. What about Ruck contests, cant do it either i imagine.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Onya Browny.

Start knocking out 200cm Ranga boys now!

Here's one from the vault:

Great game to watch, just absolutely demolished them and Ben Brown was just red hot, nothing stressful about that match.

Something about us at Blundstone, not even the ground itself we just manage to turn it up, like that match against West Coast was just unreal. We decimated them.

Great game to watch, just absolutely demolished them and Ben Brown was just red hot, nothing stressful about that match.

Something about us at Blundstone, not even the ground itself we just manage to turn it up, like that match against West Coast was just unreal. We decimated them.

Plus a JZ wrecking ball special on Davis if I recall correctly - unless that was 2017?

From the website yesterday - well done Waitey! And big congrats to BBB on his 100th. Hope he plays a ripper of a game, as you guys say down there. 7 goals in RD 1, and a Coleman for 2019!

"How could I forget watching this big, tall kid with boofy hair kicking four goals to single-handedly turn a final? It was back in 2014 when I first saw the number 50 dominating a helpless Essendon defence in the Elimination Final.

He didn’t look like a footballer at the time, but he sure played like one.

His incredible reach, his athletic jump and sound goal-kicking action was extremely unique, yet effective. So, when I decided to make the move to Arden Street, I couldn’t wait to work with him.

The first thing I noticed with Ben Brown was his meticulous and precise training habits, which is rare - you don’t come across footballers like him too often.

He was so enthusiastic about his craft, which in-turn, made me a lot more enthusiastic too.

Sure his run-up is long and a little bit different, but it works ... I find it so confusing when people criticise or question the approach.

We’ve all gone to training and spent time on our goal-kicking, but with Browny, every shot he takes, he does the exact same routine and we see him reaping the rewards of his hard work.

He would spend a good ten to 15 minutes walking back to his mark and going through his routine each session, but it's easy to see why. It works.

You don’t reach 100 games by chance or by luck; Browny puts as much work into his game off the field as he does on it.

He spends countless hours studying his own game and opponents, then devotes as much time to making sure his body is in the best possible condition it can be.

For the four seasons I was at the club, I don’t think he got through a full pre-season for whatever reason. But he had such a good relationship with all the fitness staff and dieticians who help him dominate come Round 1. There's little wonder he's been near the top of the Coleman Medal the past two seasons.

As a young player coming in, all you want to see is the way the very best players prepare, and I think any draftee coming to the club respects Browny's body of work.

One of my favourite memories of playing with Benny was down in Hobart, because every time he’d kick a goal he would get that excited.

He just loves footy, and while we used to rib him about his celebrations, we’d love them because he would always dominate in front of his home crowd.

Off the field, he’s a very sensible and well balanced person.

Anyone who’s met him, whether it’s teammates, staff or fans, would agree, because he is always smiling, he’s so generous with his time and he wouldn’t say a bad thing about anyone.

He and Hester have just given birth to his first child, and he does so much work with the Huddle, charities and the AFLW side, which I think really helps him come game day.

In the past few years I feel as though he’s really found his voice, and really taken it to a new level. He’s a lot more confident in speaking up, and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the leadership group in the years to come.

So in the lead-up to this weekend, it will be the perfect time for Browny and his family to reflect on the journey he’s been on to get where he is today.

He was overlooked constantly in drafts and was eventually forced leave his home at a young age to make the move to Werribee, all in order to give himself the best chance at making his dream a reality.

While this is a great milestone for Browny, I feel as though this is only the beginning.

He came third in the Coleman Medal in 2017, then second last year, so it’s not as though he’s limped to 100 games.

With the way he prepares and handles himself, I give him every chance to make it to 200, which would be great, because he’s really earned them.

Well done, Browny.

Waitey.

dance.jpg

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From the website yesterday - well done Waitey! And big congrats to BBB on his 100th. Hope he plays a ripper of a game, as you guys say down there. 7 goals in RD 1, and a Coleman for 2019!

"How could I forget watching this big, tall kid with boofy hair kicking four goals to single-handedly turn a final? It was back in 2014 when I first saw the number 50 dominating a helpless Essendon defence in the Elimination Final.

His incredible reach, his athletic jump and sound goal-kicking action was extremely unique, yet effective. So, when I decided to make the move to Arden Street, I couldn’t wait to work with him.

The first thing I noticed with Ben Brown was his meticulous and precise training habits, which is rare - you don’t come across footballers like him too often.

He was so enthusiastic about his craft, which in-turn, made me a lot more enthusiastic too.

Sure his run-up is long and a little bit different, but it works ... I find it so confusing when people criticise or question the approach.

We’ve all gone to training and spent time on our goal-kicking, but with Browny, every shot he takes, he does the exact same routine and we see him reaping the rewards of his hard work.

He would spend a good ten to 15 minutes walking back to his mark and going through his routine each session, but it's easy to see why. It works.

You don’t reach 100 games by chance or by luck; Browny puts as much work into his game off the field as he does on it.

He spends countless hours studying his own game and opponents, then devotes as much time to making sure his body is in the best possible condition it can be.

For the four seasons I was at the club, I don’t think he got through a full pre-season for whatever reason. But he had such a good relationship with all the fitness staff and dieticians who help him dominate come Round 1. There's little wonder he's been near the top of the Coleman Medal the past two seasons.

As a young player coming in, all you want to see is the way the very best players prepare, and I think any draftee coming to the club respects Browny's body of work.

One of my favourite memories of playing with Benny was down in Hobart, because every time he’d kick a goal he would get that excited.

He just loves footy, and while we used to rib him about his celebrations, we’d love them because he would always dominate in front of his home crowd.

Anyone who’s met him, whether it’s teammates, staff or fans, would agree, because he is always smiling, he’s so generous with his time and he wouldn’t say a bad thing about anyone.

He and Hester have just given birth to his first child, and he does so much work with the Huddle, charities and the AFLW side, which I think really helps him come game day.

In the past few years I feel as though he’s really found his voice, and really taken it to a new level. He’s a lot more confident in speaking up, and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the leadership group in the years to come.

So in the lead-up to this weekend, it will be the perfect time for Browny and his family to reflect on the journey he’s been on to get where he is today.

He was overlooked constantly in drafts and was eventually forced leave his home at a young age to make the move to Werribee, all in order to give himself the best chance at making his dream a reality.

While this is a great milestone for Browny, I feel as though this is only the beginning.

He came third in the Coleman Medal in 2017, then second last year, so it’s not as though he’s limped to 100 games.

With the way he prepares and handles himself, I give him every chance to make it to 200, which would be great, because he’s really earned them.

Well done, Browny.

Waitey.

View attachment 639849

Man, I miss Waitey so much and it's not even Round 1 yet, I can already tell we've lost THE presence up forward.

I don't think its hyperbole to say that Brown & Waite were the most underrated and best forward combo in the competition, and it was a dream to see them play together.

Well done, Browny.

Waitey.

View attachment 639849

Great write up.

Onya BBB. Lets hope he kicks one goal for every game this season and ends up with 125 or 6 goals.

Back