Jarryd Roughead's farewell tour in 2019 ?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Rough justice: Ex-Hawks captain faces battle on contract - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-14/rough-justice-exhawks-captain-faces-battle-on-contract

Very frank comments from Alastair Clarkson about his future, and I think very typical if the Hawthorn culture. Hard nosed pragmatism.

Taken in the 2004 draft at pick 2 when Clarkson arrived and the Hawks began the most successful
rebuild from scratch I've ever seen in my lifetime. He was a key plank in their rise and the Hawks threepeat.

In the early days playing with Buddy I honestly thought he was a suspect shot for goal but that disappeared with experience. As a big key forward he was one of the first, with Buddy to get around the ground and impact in unexpected places at times. He was also was a pioneer in using the tap to feed the crumbers in marking contests forward that is so common now.

When we were after Buddy I was disappointed it wasn't Roughead on the market. I honestly wasn't disappointed we missed Buddy. Great player but we had talent coming through. I would have been happy for the club to sell the farm for Roughead, the difference being his leadership, critical to a new club. He'll retire a one club player though and that's appropriate.

His battle with skin cancer cost him a year of footy, to anyone else surviving it would be the goal. He returned to play in what must be an inspiring story to people facing similar challenges.

It has left him needing 25 games to reach his 300, possible this year if the Hawks go deep in September. Otherwise I really hope he continues his JLT form and plays on next year.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can’t believe he is still playing. Has become a liability in recent times for the hawks.

Expect Mitch Lewis and other hawk youngsters to push him out of the best 22 by the bye
He just kicked 5 on the weekend. If anything he has a new lease of life free of the captaincy now. Wouldn't be surprised he has a good year. Still a very important player.

Dazlington

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He just kicked 5 on the weekend. If anything he has a new lease of life free of the captaincy now. Wouldn't be surprised he has a good year. Still a very important player.

From what I saw he was playing on Oleg Markov and Nathan Broad. Not to mention this was a practice match with zero pressure

Rough justice: Ex-Hawks captain faces battle on contract - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-14/rough-justice-exhawks-captain-faces-battle-on-contract

Very frank comments from Alastair Clarkson about his future, and I think very typical if the Hawthorn culture. Hard nosed pragmatism.

Taken in the 2004 draft at pick 2 when Clarkson arrived and the Hawks began the most successful
rebuild from scratch I've ever seen in my lifetime. He was a key plank in their rise and the Hawks threepeat.

In the early days playing with Buddy I honestly thought he was a suspect shot for goal but that disappeared with experience. As a big key forward he was one of the first, with Buddy to get around the ground and impact in unexpected places at times. He was also was a pioneer in using the tap to feed the crumbers in marking contests forward that is so common now.

When we were after Buddy I was disappointed it wasn't Roughead on the market. I honestly wasn't disappointed we missed Buddy. Great player but we had talent coming through. I would have been happy for the club to sell the farm for Roughead, the difference being his leadership, critical to a new club. He'll retire a one club player though and that's appropriate.

His battle with skin cancer cost him a year of footy, to anyone else surviving it would be the goal. He returned to play in what must be an inspiring story to people facing similar challenges.

It has left him needing 25 games to reach his 300, possible this year if the Hawks go deep in September. Otherwise I really hope he continues his JLT form and plays on next year.

I expect that Roughead will continue to play in 2020 if we don't somehow get an established Full Forward. He had an immensely stressful year in many ways and still managed to kick 34 goals, I'd back him in to kick 40 in 2019 which is more than we'd get from any immediate replacement.

He was on the verge of becoming a genuine goal kicking midfielder at the end of 2015, having a bit of a late career renaissance averaging 20 disposals and 2 goals a game. He was robbed of some of his best years of footy, but he's still good enough to play.

The post from you is classy but that article is a great example of gutter journalism.

Dazlington

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He was manned up by Astbury for the majority. Don't be too quick to write him off has had no distractions this year no injuries

Not in any of the marks I saw. Was another couple which were joe the goose types from horrendous turnovers catching the defenders out of position

bauschy88

Debutant
Nov 17, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm even more amazed Burgoyne is going around again.. I watched him closely in the final against the Dees and looked so slow. Both Roughy & Burgoyne's last year for sure. Wasn't the talk around Roughy initially being pushed out if Hawks landed Lynch?

Buzz Hawk

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2017
Buttox
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm even more amazed Burgoyne is going around again.. I watched him closely in the final against the Dees and looked so slow. Both Roughy & Burgoyne's last year for sure. Wasn't the talk around Roughy initially being pushed out if Hawks landed Lynch?
He was playing with broken ribs you know, can slow one down somewhat.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool

Agree on the above

In terms of Roughy, it was an unbelievable effort for him to come back from the cancer, but its clearly knocked him around. Still capable of flashes of brilliance, but Hawks need someone else to stand up and take over as the no. 1 key forward from him

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Burgoyne had broken ribs 🤦‍♂️

Having watched Burgoyne win numerous games off his own boot against us, I appreciate how good a player he is, however he clearly lost a step last year and wasn't nearly as effective as in previous years. Age catches up with all, and although I think he probably deserves another season, 2019 should be his last

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Having watched Burgoyne win numerous games off his own boot against us, I appreciate how good a player he is, however he clearly lost a step last year and wasn't nearly as effective as in previous years. Age catches up with all, and although I think he probably deserves another season, 2019 should be his last
I think the hamstring injuries took abit of a toll on him last year, couldn’t get any continuity, still looked very good in patches. I don’t think anyone really expects him to go on again but I can still see him playing some pretty handy footy for us this year.

In terms of Hawthorn players adding in, I always thought Roughie > Franklin in terms of importance to their structure
Later years saw him add the roving aspect and his hard nosed approach (queue footage v Hannebery in 2014 GF) set the standard for Hawks to follow

When Roughie was talked about being shopped after the knee injury I was very much in the "we'll have him" camp

Still hope he goes well*

* the rest of the Hawks can GAGF

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Burgoyne played with a cracked rib in last year's finals.

Hawthorn basically had a six week "finals series" from Rounds 20, 21, 22, 23 and then Richmond & Melbourne in September.
Burgoyne was Hawthorn's best player in that final month of the home & away season.

Without him, we would not have finished Top 4

Rd.19 - Haw d. Freo by 59 pts in Perth - Burgoyne was Hawks' 3rd or 4th best after Mitchell and Breust (3 coaches votes)
Rd.20 - Haw d. Ess by 4 pts at MCG - Burgoyne was one of our better players with 22 disposals (11 contested), 6 tackles
Rd.21 - Haw d. Geel by 9 pts at MCG - Burgoyne was Hawthorn's best player along with Worpel (4 coaches votes) [Danger BOG]
Rd.22 - Haw d. St.K by 4 pts at Etihad - Burgoyne was Hawthorn's 2nd best player after Jack Gunston (5 coaches votes)
Rd.23 - Haw d. Syd by 11pts at SCG - Burgoyne was Hawthorn's 6th best with 19 disposals (10 contested), 4 tackles

Ahhhhhh. Big Footy... The place where people can just post any opinion they want and not worry about the facts.

I'm even more amazed Burgoyne is going around again.. I watched him closely in the final against the Dees
I'm just amazed at Shaun Burgoyne, full stop. 37 years old and he's still got it.

Champion footballer.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'll never understand why people wanna hammer the nails in the coffins of AFL greats

The media in particular like stirring this pot. Bottom-feeding c**ts like Tony Jones and Damien Barrett. They can all get f**ked.

My attitude towards the old champs whether they're from Hawthorn or elsewhere is that their retirement is their decision (or between them and their coach) and so I just enjoy watching them do their stuff in their twilight years.

Get off their backs and just enjoy their final games.

Let's hope Roughie can wind the clock back a few times this year.

edit: and it's J-A-R-R-Y-D

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I can't believe a bloke that missed a year due to melanoma treatment has played 275 games. He popped an achilles one year too.

Good player, seems a likable bloke. Been past his prime the last two seasons (2016 the year he missed) but still a good contributor with 38 and 34 goals. Would've won the goalkicking at a few clubs and been the #1/#2 key forward at others. If he doesn't play a potato like Schoenmakers comes in or some kid who probably isn't ready. Their forward line would be very easy to defend without him because the only two avenues to goal are a small and whatever you call Gunston. Roughead is a bit like Pav before he retired except he has better support.

Will probably retire this year but then there are only a handful of players left from the 2004 draft anyway. Deledio, Lyndon Dunn and the three guys drafted by Hawthorn. Did I miss anyone? Griffen, Cloke, LeCras etc. are all goneski.

Back