Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - Thursday 21st March 7:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1412

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ps: huge lob fan but need to be placated with regard to cam_po................placate me at once, ffs.............
Remember the project players that Sheedy used to have and everyone would say they were crap but eventually they would come good and fill a roll e.g. Kevin Walsh in the 80s. Polson is Bolton's Kevin Walsh.

I'm not sure that's going to placate you though...

I don't want Polson out but when I do the side to play Richmond I struggle to fit him in
Exactly and Gibbons is the same.
My 22 would be
Plowman, Jones, Thomas
Simpson, Weitering, Newman
Fisher, Cripps, Walsh
McGovern, C Curnow, SPS
Cuningham, McKay, Fasolo
Phillips, Dow, Murphy
E Curnow, Setterfield, Garlett, Silvagni

With Kennedy missing out as I think he needs a run after missing last week and not playing a JLT at all.

For the first time in a while spots are tough to come by and if we don't pick up any injuries by the time Marchbank, Williamson, MacReaide and LAng are ready to go some good players will be missing out.

I don't want Polson out but when I do the side to play Richmond I struggle to fit him in

Firstly, we don't want anyone out of the side because......'we don't like them' (general speak)

I'd sooner Gibbons than Polson but not both, as collectively they just don't seem to do enough, nor are particularly dangerous enough around goal.
It may be one of those things that this guy does one thing better one week and when he doesn't, we call for him to be dropped and the other recalled.

The reason I'd sooner Gibbons, is because he's somewhat craftier around goals than Polson is.
Polson just doesn't seem capable of making something out of 'half-chances' and you simply have to be able to do so, to principally play in the forward half.

I didn't think we'd change much at all, but a few days on, it wouldn't be unreasonable to make up to three changes to Mondays JLT team, as there are plenty of training sessions from now until next Thursday night.

I think Plowman is incredibly under rated.

As for what you think Gibbons brings, Polson does the same but most want him out.

I rate Plowman.. he just hasn't been the same since his injury, or prior to that season ending injury he had (when it was apparent he was carrying something)..

As for Polson, I'd argue that while he does a lot of the same, Gibbons is more polished and more likely to impact the scoreboard right at the minute..

My thoughts on Polson, each time I see him play at the moment are:

- "That was a great shimmy to buy space and time to kick, in the pocket" to "had a feeling he'd shank that kick"
- "Wow, great one handed pick-up, and look at him burn off his opponent..." to "oh man, that kick was horrible"

He shows glimpses, but needs a lot of work still... Gibbons too needs to work on deficiencies but I feel that he's far more advanced in skills, positioning and in-game knowledge / experience (which is to be expected).

Looking at Jack this pre-season I don't think you can say he lacks the strength of Gibbons. And while he isn't as quick as Polson he is cleaner, a better user, more footy smarts and much more versatile.

And as I have said a couple of times now, we can rotate others through the forward line and let Jack play more inside mid who can drift forward.

And I would look at more than just stats but no matter how many time I re-watch the Collingwood game I just can't find Gibbons.

I don't really see the value.

You add JSOS to the middle, who is (with all due respect) a third tier midfielder.
You move one of our second tier midfielders to a forward pocket, where their impact is at the whims of the midfield and tall forwards.

I like Jack, I'd love for him to play and excel and will be happy if he does. But from a balance perspective I have him missing out.

I'd rather a stronger midfield with either Gibbons or Polson in a pocket than a weaker midfield with a decent mid hidden in said pocket. And if I'm splitting the two, I'm liking Gibbons more off the back of the overall package, not just the stat sheet against Collingwood.

Simpson, Jones, Plowman
Newman, Weitering, Garlett
Murphy, Setterfield, Walsh
Phillips, Cripps, SPS
Fasolo, Curnow, Cuningham
Gibbons, McKay, McGovern
I/C: Fisher, Dow, Curnow, Thomas

On the cusp for me - Kennedy, Silvagni.

If Setterfield isn't going to be able to go 100% for the 4 quarters, happy for Jack to take that spot.

But the other side of this coin is that the VFL midfield is lining up like:

Polson, Silvagni, O'Brien
Kreuzer/Lobbe, Kennedy, Stocker

Which is super exciting!

EDITED: Because I had two Walsh's.....I wish!

Last edited:
My 22 would be
Plowman, Jones, Thomas
Fisher, Cripps, Walsh
McGovern, C Curnow, SPS
Cuningham, McKay, Fasolo
Phillips, Dow, Murphy

With Kennedy missing out as I think he needs a run after missing last week and not playing a JLT at all.

For the first time in a while spots are tough to come by and if we don't pick up any injuries by the time Marchbank, Williamson, MacReaide and LAng are ready to go some good players will be missing out.

Yep. That's how I see it as well. Don't be surprised to see Kennedy playing

You add JSOS to the middle, who is (with all due respect) a third tier midfielder.
You move one of our second tier midfielders to a forward pocket, where their impact is at the whims of the midfield and tall forwards.

Nope. Only difference is putting Jack or Kennedy around the stoppages where we need bigger bodies. Allows the others to play a bit more outside (wing/high HF) and not tire themselves out as quick against the bigger bodies. Fasolo & DC play deeper

My 22 would be
Plowman, Jones, Thomas
Fisher, Cripps, Walsh
McGovern, C Curnow, SPS
Cuningham, McKay, Fasolo
Phillips, Dow, Murphy

Yep, it's a tough one alright. The only possible question marks would be Garlett, Fasolo and Silvagni. I'd like to see all three play but I suspect one misses out for Polson.

I like Jack, I'd love for him to play and excel and will be happy if he does. But from a balance perspective I have him missing out.

I'd rather a stronger midfield with either Gibbons or Polson in a pocket than a weaker midfield with a decent mid hidden in said pocket. And if I'm splitting the two, I'm liking Gibbons more off the back of the overall package, not just the stat sheet against Collingwood.

Simpson, Jones, Plowman
Newman, Weitering, Garlett
Murphy, Setterfield, Walsh
Phillips, Cripps, SPS
Fasolo, Curnow, Cuningham
Gibbons, McKay, McGovern
I/C: Fisher, Walsh, Curnow, Thomas

On the cusp for me - Kennedy, Dow, Silvagni.

If Setterfield isn't going to be able to go 100% for the 4 quarters, happy for Jack to take that spot.

But the other side of this coin is that the VFL midfield is lining up like:

Stocker, Silvagni, O'Brien
Kreuzer/Lobbe, Kennedy, Dow

Which is super exciting!
You are seeing things to Static, no one is being hidden in a pocket they are all rotating through.
Silvagni goes forward and offers something different to when Fisher, SPS or Murphy has rotated through, when he goes into the middle he again offers something different, he could even go back and allow a Garlett or Thomas to play some forward line minutes. It allows us to ask more questions of the Tigers.

Also you have Walsh both on the wing and on the bench which would probably allow you to play Dow who is a lock.

Yep. That's how I see it as well. Don't be surprised to see Kennedy playing
Would be very surprised if they don't go with one of either Gibbons or Polson; I think Gibbo will play.

I rate Plowman.. he just hasn't been the same since his injury, or prior to that season ending injury he had (when it was apparent he was carrying something)..

As for Polson, I'd argue that while he does a lot of the same, Gibbons is more polished and more likely to impact the scoreboard right at the minute..

My thoughts on Polson, each time I see him play at the moment are:

- "That was a great shimmy to buy space and time to kick, in the pocket" to "had a feeling he'd shank that kick"
- "Wow, great one handed pick-up, and look at him burn off his opponent..." to "oh man, that kick was horrible"

He shows glimpses, but needs a lot of work still... Gibbons too needs to work on deficiencies but I feel that he's far more advanced in skills, positioning and in-game knowledge / experience (which is to be expected).
Plowman does what it says on the box, works hard, nothing fancy and gets the job done.

You are seeing things to Static, no one is being hidden in a pocket they are all rotating through.
Silvagni goes forward and offers something different to when Fisher, SPS or Murphy has rotated through, when he goes into the middle he again offers something different, he could even go back and allow a Garlett or Thomas to play some forward line minutes. It allows us to ask more questions of the Tigers.

Also you have Walsh both on the wing and on the bench which would probably allow you to play Dow who is a lock.

Where Gibbons can play 80% time in that forward pocket, we'd be rotating a preferred midfielder through there to accommodate Jack in the side. And when Jack rotates forward (along with Cripps and Setterfield) we're looking extremely oversized.

And yep - spotted the double Walsh and fixed. Dow in because his burst from clearances fills more of a need than another slow inside mid.

Ah well - only a week of speculation then we'll find out for sure.

I don't think I'm going to be disappointed whatever the selection committee decide. It's all personal preference at this stage, and we're talking a difference of one player in a somewhat niche role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where Gibbons can play 80% time in that forward pocket, we'd be rotating a preferred midfielder through there to accommodate Jack in the side. And when Jack rotates forward (along with Cripps and Setterfield) we're looking extremely oversized.

No. Do you think the MC are that dumb? Times when McKay rucks and Phillips on bench. McGovern or Charlie having a break? Jack plays mid with a rest on the bench. I see flexibility and options

And yep - spotted the double Walsh and fixed. Dow in because his burst from clearances fills more of a need than another slow inside mid.

Ah well - only a week of speculation then we'll find out for sure.

I don't think I'm going to be disappointed whatever the selection committee decide. It's all personal preference at this stage, and we're talking a difference of one player in a somewhat niche role.

That's exactly my point, Gibbons playing 80% in the forward pocket is a bad thing.

And Silvagni won't rotate forward with hose 3 and the 3 talls, Cripps goes forward when one of the talls has a rest, Silvagni will go forward when a couple of Fisher, Cuningham Dow and SPS are down there as well.

I think we'll go in with the 3 small forwards - we've done it all pre-season so i'd be surprised if it changed for round 1.

I think Polson, Gibbons & Cunningham will all play unless Fas is good to go - he'll come in for one of Polson or Gibbo. SOS I don't think will play after missing JLT 2, but who knows!

I like Jack because he can play anywhere competently. He'll kick a goal, he'll get effective possessions in the middle and help defend desperately. He's a great utility learning his craft. He won't lose the game for you, unlike some. He can contribute. Play him off the bench.

We nearly won last year before things got real bad for us with a lesser side and that was against a better Richmond side.

I wouldn't take a heap of notice of the footy we played and the results of last year. Playing a heap of young players and copping a lot of injuries, you'll get that.

Less injuries, young players getting older and new and improved additions so we should make some strides forward.

lol sorry but it wasnt a "better richmond side"

Likely outs: Caddy, Castagna, Grigg, Conca, Townsend, C Ellis, B Ellis, Bolton
Likely ins: Lynch, Prestia, Higgins, Houli, Rioli, Balta, Weller, Broad

Regardless of Caddy, Castagna and Grigg being out, our ins are stronger

That's exactly my point, Gibbons playing 80% in the forward pocket is a bad thing.

And Silvagni won't rotate forward with hose 3 and the 3 talls, Cripps goes forward when one of the talls has a rest, Silvagni will go forward when a couple of Fisher, Cuningham Dow and SPS are down there as well.

Charlie on the ball
Silvagni in defence
McGovern in defence
McKay in the Ruck

Lots of flexibility and options if needed. It's good

Sounds like Silvagni ;)

Reckon the two could easily be interchangeable in our backline.
I think Silvagni is in the starting 22 on the bench. Can play anywhere on the ground and is reliable, tackles well (16 tackles last week) handy forward or back. Ability to fill any injury gap, plus rotate through the midfield makes him invaluable IMO

lol sorry but it wasnt a "better richmond side"

Likely outs: Caddy, Castagna, Grigg, Conca, Townsend, C Ellis, B Ellis, Bolton
Likely ins: Lynch, Prestia, Higgins, Houli, Rioli, Balta, Weller, Broad

Regardless of Caddy, Castagna and Grigg being out, our ins are stronger
There should be no excuses then ;):straining:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back