Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - Thursday 21st March 7:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1412

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't the 666 enable sides to play forwards deeper thereby allowing a player such as Levi to run and jump at a forward entry from CS bounce?
Yes it does and that is the reason I have said in other posts that we could play 4 talls with Cas and McKay deep forward for the long ball and Charlie and McG leading further up the ground as the link men.

Yes it does and that is the reason I have said in other posts that we could play 4 talls with Cas and McKay deep forward for the long ball and Charlie and McG leading further up the ground as the link men.
You won't get any argument on that from me Muphster, I like CAS; I think he brings some much needed mongrel to marking contests.

Makes a huge difference in forum discussions actually having enough players to get on ground to make a team doesn't it?
Wonder what the discussions will be like when Marchbank/Williamson/McCreadie/Lang are added to Kreuzer/Kennedy and LoB/Jack/Stocker/TDK ' in the mix' for consideration....
not a bad core for a VFL side .....

Polson/Gibbons V Fasolo and Kennedy is how I see things atm
I know which way I'd go.

Gibbons was THE BEST player in the VFL for two years. At VFL level, Silvagni is far behind that.

There is literally no point in having Gibbons on the list and sending him down to "develop".

Q. What's he going to do.
A. Be THE BEST player in the VFL.

What have we learned? Nothing.

He has to be given the opportunity to show development at the higher level.
Nick Graham was BOG every week in the VFL.

We are at a stage where we can pick a side on form, not reputation or expectation.

Gibbons was THE BEST player in the VFL for two years. At VFL level, Silvagni is far behind that.

There is literally no point in having Gibbons on the list and sending him down to "develop".

Q. What's he going to do.
A. Be THE BEST player in the VFL.

What have we learned? Nothing.

He has to be given the opportunity to show development at the higher level.
Or perhaps now he's on an afl list and learning a new position he has to spend time developing on some new skills in the VFL. Just because he was rated the best vfl player doesn't mean his skills translate to the top level at all. The correlation can't be assumed. We saw it with Nick Graham.

I like him, think he's likely to fill a couple roles this season and beyond but he may he to learn how to play somewhere outside of the midfield in the VFL for a while first.

I disagree. You have shifted Martin into the middle more as he’s your only player capable of getting a clearance one on one. The other blokes are very good at pressure and causing turnovers. Not so good at getting their own ball. You are taking your best forward and replacing him in the middle where I think he does less damage. He’s not likely to get more clearances than Cripps either.

Your strategy last year was to lose the middle clearance and receive the ball via turnover in your backline then kick and run until the overwhelming pressure allowed turnovers inside 50 for goals. You arguably didn’t over possess the ball you just played wet weather footy and ran and pressured at all costs. Often playing 8 players behind the ball and entering the squad ready for the turnover. You can’t do that now. You will lose the centre clearance more often to Carlton and you’ll be required to beat McKay Curnow and McGovern 1 on 1. You don’t have many small defenders capable of running with Cuningham as he’s faster than all your small defenders. And if Fasolo comes in you will struggle with him also. None of your defenders will be intercepting Carlton’s quick entries if they hit our three forwards as they’ll be jumping on your heads. Rance vlastiun and grimes will be second guessing themselves in no time. It’s gonna hurt. when the bell hits the deck. Which it will as your defenders are quality but I just don’t see them outmarking. More breaking even in the contest. The bell hits the deck and ours smalls will be doing to you what you’ve been doing to sides for the last couple years.

If you choose to play lynch underdone that’s your issue. We will just have Weitering in him and run off him and distribute elite passes inside 50. The way Rance has been playing in recent years. That’s what weits will look like. Jones to reiwoldt if his wife doesn’t go into labour. Should be an even match up. Reiwoldt won’t be able to tap it on through fear of the beast breaking his fingers. Plowman won’t have a tall as I can’t see you playing balta as well. If so **** you’ll be slow inside 50. A handy change for us. Missing caddy and the other decent forwards should bode well for Simpson who should clean up all the mess our other defenders create including Garlett whose stepping up but he’s no Jetta yet. Give him 5-6 weeks in the backline and he should flourish.

Enjoy the game.

A good "tiger member" mate of mine has mentioned to me on numerous times that these rule changes will effect the tigs, the most out of all the clubs this year. there biggest problem will be in the ruck contest.

Small forwards aren't always consistent and Gibbons is a midfielder from the VFL who is learning to play as an AFL small forward with a bunch of guys he's never played with before in a new team.

20-30 goals plus pressure acts from a small forward is really good. Gibbons finished the JLT averaging 1.5 goals and I thought his pressure was alright which is on par with good small forwards.

The club seem to think he has the qualities to play that role and I do to. He's quick in small spaces, clean hands, good reflexes and he seems to kick straight for goal and his general leg speed is fairly decent too. Added to that he should be able to go through the midfield for bursts as well but he may need an AFL preseason under his belt first.

I think we just need to let him settle in and we will be rewarded. If he consistently applies good pressure and averages around that 1-1.5 goals per game then that's a win for us. Doesn't have to kick goals every week but hopefully does the other stuff.

I hope Fasolo plays as well. I have no issues with Polson playing AFL or VFL but at this stage I think he needs to play some VFL and get his numbers up.

Silvagni is probably close to playing. I like his positioning at stoppages, I think he positions well defensively and applies pressure and tackles well. Good numbers in the VFL but I think VFL onballers who want to seriously break into the AFL side probably need to at least crack that magic 30 possession mark. I know he goes forward as well but I'd like to see him tick these boxes first.
I’d rather 23 touches 16 tackles and 8 clearances which imo is more valuable than 30 touches.

Walsh setterfield and maybe Gibbons debuting on the G in front of 80k plus is massive. The roar and atmosphere when your standing in the middle of the arena is mind blowing and the legs can feel like jelly. Get a touch early and calm the nerves i say.
Leadership in this area is paramount because you can be on the back foot in a flash against a battle hardened team like the tigers.
Can’t wait , I’m like a kid on xmas eve.

No it most certainly isn’t considering his history, what if we play him first up like last year and Richmond target that shoulder and we again lose him in the 1st qtr because his shoulder just isn’t right, I hope I’m wrong but think it is to much of a risk for RD1.
Hopefully it’s just a knock and has nothing to do with previous issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s my two sense ;) about pressure forwards and all the lingering rage about them/ extensive conversation about polson. Yeah, it’s good to keep it locked in cause of weight of numbers re inside 50’s etc but if you re watch JLT 2 our defence was pretty good at stopping woods between the arcs. This led to their high possession count etc. I would prefer that the turnover would happen between the arcs as we’d have more space inside 50 to spot up legitimate targets. Another thing is that with the kick in rule change defences will have to setup further back anyway so that the 17 Richmond model won’t have its full ferocity.

I also don’t think we have the players to implement the overall pressure then convert in traffic inside 50 continually. I’m not throwing the baby out with the bath water but I think it will be a different kettle of fish this year. Obviously a turnover between the arcs is less likely if there’s no pressure up the ground but I think this is about intent on manning the mark (which was evident JLT2) and overall fitness not just being tiny and fast.

Welcome feedback

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

AFL.com.au has a Mock 22 for Round One

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-14/mock-teams-your-clubs-best-22-for-round-one

B: Lachie Plowman, Jacob Weitering, Nic Newman
HB: Kade Simpson, Liam Jones, Dale Thomas
C: Marc Murphy, Patrick Cripps, Sam Walsh
HF: Paddy Dow, Charlie Curnow, David Cuningham
F: Mitch McGovern, Harry McKay, Alex Fasolo
FOLL: Andrew Phillips, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Zac Fisher
I/C: Michael Gibbons, Ed Curnow, Jarrod Garlett, Will Setterfield
EMERG: Jack Silvagni, Lochie O'Brien, Matthew Kennedy, Cam Polson

NEW: Mitch McGovern, Sam Walsh, Nic Newman, Alex Fasolo, Will Setterfield, Michael Gibbons

If we went into that game with that team only 9 players who played against Adelaide in R23 last year will be in the team
Good looking team that. How hard is it going to be to fit in Kruezer,Marchbank,Williamson and kennedy when they’re all ready? Vulnerable will be Thomas ,Plowman ,Gibbons and maybe Garlett depending on his form....nice
problem to have.

Im honestly surprised about the calls for JSOS to come in. What did I miss since last season when he looked lost on the field, wasn’t particularly quick, strong, skilled or anything else of note?

At this stage I don’t think he adds anything to the team.

So you're ignoring the most recent match?

Fair enough
I’m not ignoring anything buddy I’m just stating the fact that he’s kept him goalless.....but I could ask you the same thing.....are you ignoring that fact?
FWIW we have not much to lose in the way of expectation but Richmond on the other hand dont want to go down as one hit wonders ala bulldogs 2016. Based on 2017 last years finals were a massive fail.

Im honestly surprised about the calls for JSOS to come in. What did I miss since last season when he looked lost on the field, wasn’t particularly quick, strong, skilled or anything else of note?

At this stage I don’t think he adds anything to the team.
I’ve been less than optimistic about Jack but I can assure you he’s improving. Give him a chance , he needs another couple of years of growth before we make a final judgement.

I’m not ignoring anything buddy I’m just stating the fact that he’s kept him goalless.....but I could ask you the same thing.....are you ignoring that fact?
FWIW we have not much to lose in the way of expectation but Richmond on the other hand dont want to go down as one hit wonders ala bulldogs 2016. Based on 2017 last years finals were a massive fail.

Wouldn't have thought finishing 1st by 2 games and percentage is a massive fail, and losing in a prelim certainly doesnt make us one hit wonders like the dogs.

I get you're on your own board and you can say what you like, but at least try bait me with some creativity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back