Preview Round 1, 2019: Collingwood vs Geelong - Pregame discussion

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Having a look at our first 5 rounds going into ANZAC Day, it can't be stressed enough how important this game is to get us going. Reckon if we lose and our confidence takes a hit we could start the season 0-3.
Best ofcourse is just win games.

We aren’t a side that gains ascendency and then chokes sides to big thrashings.
So it’s imperative we take all our chances.

Geelong
Richmond
West Coast

No reason we can’t win all three equally no reason they can p4ovide great bother to us.

First step, really beat Geelong.

That was a strange game if I've ever seen one. Pendles was an out from memory and they seemed to figure out our forward handballs and just kept cutting them off. It was painful!

Both of their key forwards weren't playing, if I remember that right, but their mids did a fantastic job of curbing the influence of our mids. We squandered so many scoring opportunities, and yet so did they and at times I felt that they should have been further in front. Yep, a frustrating day at the footy.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Both of their key forwards weren't playing, if I remember that right, but their mids did a fantastic job of curbing the influence of our mids. We squandered so many scoring opportunities, and yet so did they and at times I felt that they should have been further in front. Yep, a frustrating day at the footy.

We kicked 5 goals 15, a grand total of 45 points! Maybe we had Richmond's gastro for the day.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wonder if he’s actually left footed. Not a chance he could do that on his right
On the left even. In a game situation, that kick likely would have gotten Bucks killed by an oncoming defensive group.

I actually think he is not a bad kick when he doesn't "overthink" the kick.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wouldn't have thought so. Before that I can't recall losing to them after the 2011 Grand Final?

Anyone got Pendles' career record against the Cats?

We had a couple of good seasons post 2011 where we beat them (3-0) but from 2014 it's actually skewed back their way (3-4) with some very tight games in that mix. Some of that is about scheduling as we seemed to catch them just after our ANZAC day game a bit.

Pendles has played 18 games against the Cats and is currently 9-0-9.

Magpie Monopoly

A Good Bloke
Jul 11, 2014
Syria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Really need to win this one as Broomhead is listed as 1-2 weeks currently.

Need to get as many wins as we can before then.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Again, selection committee have a history of not selecting players who don’t have the fitness to get through a match. Wells, Kirby, BenKen are a few that come to mind.
They didn’t seem to have a problem with our midfield absorbing the extra time Sier needed on the bench last year.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
You mean it’s not tomorrow night?

Another week....

Thank goodness there’s Flemington on Saturday....

8 days

7 days till team announced

anshell

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
manchester united
We had a couple of good seasons post 2011 where we beat them (3-0) but from 2014 it's actually skewed back their way (3-4) with some very tight games in that mix. Some of that is about scheduling as we seemed to catch them just after our ANZAC day game a bit.

I think you hit the nail on the head about the ANZAC game scheduling.Last year we played Geelong in the middle of a patch where we were as flat as a tack after the ANZAC game.The two games in four days obviously flattened us,as we were really flat for the Lions game the following week,and even flatter for the Geelong game the week after that.It affected Essendon as well,as I believe they didn't win a game for three weeks after the ANZAC day game.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Mock Geelong 22 from the AFL website.

B: Jordan Clark, Mark Blicavs, Jack Henry
HB: Mark O'Connor, Harry Taylor, Tom Stewart
C: Mitch Duncan, Joel Selwood, Brandan Parfitt
HF: Sam Menegola, Tom Hawkins, Luke Dahlhaus
F: Gary Rohan, Esava Ratugolea, Gary Ablett
Foll: Rhys Stanley, Patrick Dangerfield, Tim Kelly
I/C: Lachie Henderson, Cameron Guthrie, Tom Atkins, Charlie Constable
EMERG: Jake Kolodjashnij, Quinton Narkle, Zach Guthrie, Gryan Miers

NEW: Jordan Clark (draft), Luke Dahlhaus (Western Bulldogs), Gary Rohan (Sydney), Charlie Constable (second-year)

UNAVAILABLE: Jed Bews (groin), Nakia Cockatoo (adductor), Lachie Fogarty (hip), Scott Selwood (hamstring), Zac Smith (knee), Zach Tuohy (knee)

NOTES: The biggest headache centres around the choice of the final defender. Given the Cats play a seventh off the bench, Lachie Henderson just gets the nod over Jake Kolodjashnij who was managed in the final JLT Series match. Tom Stewart, MarkO'Connor and Jordan Clark – a lock for his debut – can play small to contend with the Pies' dynamic forward line. It proves how desperate the Cats are to see Zach Tuohy and Jed Bews back early in the season. Tom Atkins' impressive pre-season wins him a spot over Quinton Narkle who played 50 per cent game time in each pre-season game. Luke Dahlhaus and Gary Rohan will start in attack, while second-year midfielder Charlie Constable earns a debut. - Mitch Cleary

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood

I actually expected it to be better, except it's definitely ruined by the 3 losses in 2011 :(

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mock Geelong 22 from the AFL website.

B: Jordan Clark, Mark Blicavs, Jack Henry
HB: Mark O'Connor, Harry Taylor, Tom Stewart
C: Mitch Duncan, Joel Selwood, Brandan Parfitt
HF: Sam Menegola, Tom Hawkins, Luke Dahlhaus
F: Gary Rohan, Esava Ratugolea, Gary Ablett
Foll: Rhys Stanley, Patrick Dangerfield, Tim Kelly
I/C: Lachie Henderson, Cameron Guthrie, Tom Atkins, Charlie Constable
EMERG: Jake Kolodjashnij, Quinton Narkle, Zach Guthrie, Gryan Miers

NEW: Jordan Clark (draft), Luke Dahlhaus (Western Bulldogs), Gary Rohan (Sydney), Charlie Constable (second-year)

UNAVAILABLE: Jed Bews (groin), Nakia Cockatoo (adductor), Lachie Fogarty (hip), Scott Selwood (hamstring), Zac Smith (knee), Zach Tuohy (knee)

NOTES: The biggest headache centres around the choice of the final defender. Given the Cats play a seventh off the bench, Lachie Henderson just gets the nod over Jake Kolodjashnij who was managed in the final JLT Series match. Tom Stewart, MarkO'Connor and Jordan Clark – a lock for his debut – can play small to contend with the Pies' dynamic forward line. It proves how desperate the Cats are to see Zach Tuohy and Jed Bews back early in the season. Tom Atkins' impressive pre-season wins him a spot over Quinton Narkle who played 50 per cent game time in each pre-season game. Luke Dahlhaus and Gary Rohan will start in attack, while second-year midfielder Charlie Constable earns a debut. - Mitch Cleary

Damn it. I was hoping Scott Selwood would be available!

Damn it. I was hoping Scott Selwood would be available!
I reckon Greenwood can count himself unlucky, not picked due to an injury of an opponent.

Back