twilight grand final is coming boyos

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
3.38 million leave their tv's turned on last year with nobody watching?

And if it is at twilight grand final even more would watch it, that is why they call it prime time.

Starts at 4.30pm, finishes at 7.30pm at the latest - what is wrong with that?

And for all those traditionalist, not one repeat not one of the leadup finals was played at 2.30pm EST.

megatiger

Cancelled
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
drop the JLT and AFLX , have a proper pre season that is rewarding for clubs to win matches and have a twilight grand final for that. simples

drop the JLT and AFLX , have a proper pre season that is rewarding for clubs to win matches and have a twilight grand final for that. simples

Let AFLW have the night grand final. I'm sure it'll smash ratings records and have fireworks plus Shannon Noll keeping the crowd entertained.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
the pros of moving the grand final later are getting a greater audience and making the game more accessible to more people.

We're up to page 14 in this thread and I haven't seen one valid point against moving it later other than 'it's tradition' and 'just leave the bloody game alone' and 'footy is meant to be on saturday arvo' even though it clearly isn't anymore.

this is going to happen eventually. you can't beat the economics.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
There's 25 million people in Australia.
And amazingly nothing else has more of those 25 million watching it than the GF.
Plus if you reckon the 3-4 million reported as the ‘ratings’ isn’t a flawed figure, you’ve got rocks in your head. Does it consider the thousands of pubs around the country each within 10s or even hundreds of people watching? Our the multiple live sites with 10s of thousands of people watching? Or every house party?

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
the pros of moving the grand final later are getting a greater audience and making the game more accessible to more people.

We're up to page 14 in this thread and I haven't seen one valid point against moving it later other than 'it's tradition' and 'just leave the bloody game alone' and 'footy is meant to be on saturday arvo' even though it clearly isn't anymore.

But the DEW!!!

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Piss orf. Twilight is the worst time slot. I would boycott unless my teams playing in it.

Stick with day time , or break from tradition and start playing grand finals away from the MCG as they have no reason not to. They can renogotiate the MCG GF deal. Or stick to day time .

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
And amazingly nothing else has more of those 25 million watching it than the GF.
Plus if you reckon the 3-4 million reported as the ‘ratings’ isn’t a flawed figure, you’ve got rocks in your head. Does it consider the thousands of pubs around the country each within 10s or even hundreds of people watching? Our the multiple live sites with 10s of thousands of people watching? Or every house party?

Yes they put effort into the data surveys.

Super Bowl wouldn't get a third of Americans watching if it were buried at 2.30pm.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers

Can you provide an update as to how the NRL has gone growing their game through a night GF?
We don’t have an issue getting publicity for the game. You can’t get away from football in GF week. It consumes the media for all year round. There isn’t a single person in the country who doesn’t know about the existence of our game. They aren’t going to turn their TV on to the GF and go ‘oh what’s all this? Maybe I’ll start this sport’.
The idea that more people will get involved in football because the GF starts two hours later is perhaps the most flimsy argument of all those for moving the time.

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
Hahaha

Looks like it's you that'll have to EAD

AFL Grand Final set to stay in traditional timeslot

A meeting of the AFL commission at Docklands on Thursday thrashed out the matter, and it is believed a twilight start time for the match was rejected.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-14/afl-grand-final-to-stay-in-traditional-timeslot

Up yours, Kram

Suck on that, Bomberboyokay

cheers-opn4.png

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
You’re not going to get anywhere by suggesting the AFL GF is ‘buried’ it’s literally on TV from 7am to 7pm.

What I'm saying (repeatedly because posters pretend to not understand) is it will get more people watching at night. That's why the AFL very slowly tries to make it happen. Most people will never mark off an entire day on their calendar for it. It's a needlessly early start.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast

New JLT Community Series

Round 1:
9 standard games in suburban/regional venues, rank winners by %

Round 2:
Lightning Matches of 20 min halves

Saturday
110pm - 8th v 9th
210pm - 2nd v 7th
310pm - 3rd v 6th
410pm - 4th v 5th
510pm - 1st v 8th/9th

Sunday
110pm - Semi
210pm - Semi
410pm - GF

Can play the Saturday games in Geelong or Ballarat, Sunday games at a suburban venue in Melbourne (Princes Park, Casey, Werribee, etc.)

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
What I'm saying (repeatedly because posters pretend to not understand) is it will get more people watching at night. That's why the AFL very slowly tries to make it happen. Most people will never mark off an entire day on their calendar for it. It's a needlessly early start.
A) I don’t think it will boost numbers as much as you expect
B) I don’t think it’s worth selling the soul of the game for. Perhaps moving the GF time won’t cause a mass exodus of long term supporters. But you can only ignore the voice of the people for so long. Every single opinion poll ever has come back as a resounding ‘no’ to shifting the time. There’s already plenty of angst towards the AFL for being tacky and being disconnected from the fans: see AFLX. If they shun the fans that are already there, one day something will break.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
"I don’t think it’s worth selling the soul of the game for." Pfft get a grip. Most games are played with a yellow ball.

Back