Strategy Mid-season draft 2019 / Supplemental Selection Period

That's why realistically Cam Sutcliffe is the most likely option if it were to happen. Just off an AFL list, recognised AFL high level endurance runner and training with Port.

That's why realistically Cam Sutcliffe is the most likely option if it were to happen. Just off an AFL list, recognised AFL high level endurance runner and training with Port.
And who do we replace Sutcliffe with on the SANFL list (as marquee player) mid-season?

And who do we replace Sutcliffe with on the SANFL list (as marquee player) mid-season?

And what if Gold Coast or St Kilda or Carlton decide to pick him up? It's a fact of life that the AFL clubs do what they want. At least if we draft him he is still at Port and likely to play most of his games at the Magpies.

And what if Gold Coast or St Kilda or Carlton decide to pick him up? It's a fact of life that the AFL clubs do what they want.
I'm not complaining, I'm just asking who would our targets be as a replacement marquee player.

I'm not complaining, I'm just asking who would our targets be as a replacement marquee player.

We probably wouldn't be allowed one. So better he stays at Port.

We probably wouldn't be allowed one. So better he stays at Port.
Do other SANFL sides get to grab people from other teams/leagues during the year or is there a cutoff date?

I remember we had a cutoff date of before round 1 in 2014 then it got pushed back to June or July in 2017 or 2018.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

This morning's press carries the story that we will not seek a list replacement for Jake Patmore but we will retain our pick in the mid season draft and replace Jake from a feeder league such as the SANFL. This has the SANFL clubs shitting bricks and they have moved to ensure that a drafted player stays at the SANFL club when not playing AFL.

It is suggested that we might look at Mitch Grigg from Norwood. That is not a given of course but if we did we might occasionally name him as a traveling emergency just to * Norwood up. With a Norwood life member for a CEO that won't happen but it is nice to think it might.

Do other SANFL sides get to grab people from other teams/leagues during the year or is there a cutoff date?

I remember we had a cutoff date of before round 1 in 2014 then it got pushed back to June or July in 2017 or 2018.

That's other teams. The ones the league blesses with their good rules.

The cutoff date for recruiting used to be 30 June for recruiting during the year. The mid-season draft will be the week beginning 3 June so we would have a few weeks to act if Sutcliffe is drafted. That's if the sanfl allow us to make a late change to the list. Their level of understanding towards us is somewhere between the Earth's molten core and the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

Picking up a quality player during the season would be difficult.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unlike morons on this board the club is sensible enough to do what is best for Port and what happens at Norwood is irrelevant

It’s just nice to think about screwing Norwood over, a “cherry on top” or “icing on the cake” but clearly not the primary reason for selecting someone.

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why would that be ? I thought he wanted a second chance. I get why he doesn’t want to go interstate, maybe that’s what it’s about.
Not sure about the why but he has definitely stated he is not interested in being drafted to an AFL club mid season.

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The melt down from the SANFL if we took a player would be huge. I mean I would actually go back to safooty.net just to read the melt down. A few of those flat earthers were bitching hard about this a few months ago. I could only just imagine how good it has been now.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This morning's press carries the story that we will not seek a list replacement for Jake Patmore but we will retain our pick in the mid season draft and replace Jake from a feeder league such as the SANFL. This has the SANFL clubs shitting bricks and they have moved to ensure that a drafted player stays at the SANFL club when not playing AFL.

It is suggested that we might look at Mitch Grigg from Norwood. That is not a given of course but if we did we might occasionally name him as a traveling emergency just to **** Norwood up. With a Norwood life member for a CEO that won't happen but it is nice to think it might.

A mid season drafted player is the same as any other rookie. They are on ports list. The sanfl clubs can cry all they like but it means nothing. They have no legs to stand on. If they want to challenge the draft and the afl then good luck to them and their lawyers.

Hopefully we get a good draftable kid who missed out last year. It's not really about their output in the first year but getting 6 months development on other draftees. This includes playing for the magpies under port coaches and port system.

Sanfl and sa media can ead in their irrelevance.

Last edited:
Why would that be ? I thought he wanted a second chance. I get why he doesn’t want to go interstate, maybe that’s what it’s about.
Situation with his old man's health. He has MND.That's why he refused to be in that GC and Carlton pre draft access to state league players.

He said something like 'If i'm not considered good enough now then whats another 6 months going to prove?'

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He said something like 'If i'm not considered good enough now then whats another 6 months going to prove?'

Reasonable attitude I guess, to me it would be more an opening that wasn’t there becouse a player went down with injury.

All you need is that one opertunity to prove yourself.

Here are some former AFL players newly recruited to sanfl clubs. Not much to get excited about.

Centrals
Troy Menzel
Matthew Neagle - not from an AFL club but was talked up as a draft smokey last year

Glenelg
Cory Gregson
Luke Partington
Liam McBean - after a year off

South
Malcolm Karpany

West
Patrick Levicki - from Norwood, but a mature age tall defender

Eagles
Jesse Lonergan
Jordan Foote

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
We may not draft anyone mid season but it is good to know that we have those SANFL assholes second guessing and worried that we might.

If our injury list grows a bit we will be in a position to cast our eye over all feeder leagues including SANFL, WAFL and VFL and grab a player if we wish. On the other hand drafting a player is an expense we might not feel justified in making. It is a little presumptuous of Norwood or any other SANFL club to assume that we consider any of their players good enough.

If we did decide we wanted a replacement for Patmore and took an SANFL player mid season that player is likely going to play in the Reserves as that is where Patmore was probably going to start this year. We are not going to pick up a SANFL player mid season then play him in the AFL just to satisfy Norwood. As I posted earlier it is good to know we have these dickheads worried.

While I am in the mood...

The AFL can get stuffed too. Back in 2016 they would not give us top ups to replace Paddy Ryder and Angus Monfries who were suspended through no fault of ours. Now three years down the track they reintroduce a mid season draft 26 years after deciding it was a waste of effort. At the time the decision was made to reintroduce a draft the CEO of the AFL says, 'a mid season draft would have helped a club like Port Adelaide in 2016 when they had to play two players short'. Yeah right Gillion two years after the event where were you in 2016 ?

Last edited:
Back