Which AFL team is the most hated by us the fans??

Which AFL team is the most hated by us the fans??

• Total voters

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
As a fan of West Coast I don't really like Freo.
The Vic clubs hatred is an insular one for Vics to comment on I reckon as Vic clubs for me were of zero relevance when I grew up on the WAFL. Many hate Collingwood but I find that more of a sheep mentality more than anything, sort of like the cool thing to do.
I'm torn with the Vic clubs.

Part of me resents their view their petty little suburban rivalries from previous centuries matter very much in a national competition.

Part if me still finds it awesome that traditional clubs like the Blues, Pies, Cats, Bombers and Hawks come to Spotless to play us.

Geelong - sanctimonious pricks, but I enjoy the rivalry. Great club.

I feel the same way about Hawthorn. Can't stand you guys, but the rivalry is amazing and some of my favourite ever matches have been Geelong vs Hawthorn. Regardless whatever point of the year the match is being played at or the current position of the teams, the atmosphere and the build up to our matches is insane. I must say though, I respect and admire the sustained success you guys have had for many years

Apart from Hawthorn, I couldn't stand Fremantle from Round 1 2012 until about 2015-2016. Some big moments and big matches between the two teams in that era, but the rivalry has cooled in recent years

After attending the 2017 QF I wasn't fond of Richmond either, but looking back I would have been just as loud and I'm sure other Cats fans would have been loud too if the shoe was on the other foot and we had quite a lot riding on the match (we might have been like that in 2007, but I was too young to notice)

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah Bombers for me. Raised to hate em' growing up in the area and having to put up with all their one-eyed local fans.

Grandparents even ran the local milk bar back in the 80's through to the early 00's & on a weekly basis you'd have them coming in for food/drinks/newpapers/smokes in droves and when they'd won that weekend they wouldn't shut up about it. When they lost they wouldn't even talk to my grandparents at all.

But what was the worst and the types of fans that do my head in the most, are those ones who don't actually like the game itself and know nothing about players other than their own.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Despise Essendon the most, their fans are the loudest and most arrogant with no real reason to be. And we’ll get 17 first.

Collingwood are trendy to hate and traditionally the most hated but I don’t mind Bucks at the moment. A bit more success and that may change.

Richmond similar to Collingwood, was pleased to see them win the flag but another one will quickly change my mind. Was great to see their fans knocked down a peg in the prelim.

The rest, who cares. Big 4 is all that matters :D

TaylorMade

All Australian
Aug 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty much the Melbourne clubs that instigated and then feasted on the carcass that is now Fitzroy. Carlton, Richmond come to mind first.

Being an Interstate supporter in the Melbourne VFL bubble it's difficult to like some of the big vic centrist clubs. Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton come to mind. Majority of supporters don't know much about the AFL and prefer to pretend it's still the VFL when they won most of their flags.

Don't really hate any of North, WB, Hawks, Geelong as their fans aren't part of the "Old big 4" and a bit more knowledgeable of the game.

I feel empathy for Melbourne & Saints supporters as their sides have been so terrible. Carlton on the other hand, karma.

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I only hate clubs that are successful and relevant, so that rules North out from the get go. My hate for Carlton has decreased over the last decade. Their lack of success has generated some sympathy. I can't begrudge the tigers after so many decades in the wilderness, and who doesnt love that tiger roar and "yellow and black" cry after they win? And I actually respect the pies as a worthy foe. Hawks for me, so entitled.

GWS.

Irrelevant football club that cops a reach around from the AFL and has diluted the talent pool for the rest of the clubs who actually matter.

Western Sydney is the AFL's sinkhole.

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
Hate the other teams equally, so my vote goes to the team that plays at the worst ground* I have ever been to - Brisbane Lions.

* In terms of overall experience - getting to the ground = nightmare (getting home even worse). Tickets - expensive and poor sight lines from ground level (looked like something out of Breaking Bad with heads running around when the play was on the outer wing).

donkeypunchd

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Popularity breeds contempt, so Essendon, Collingwood and Richmond are obviously going to be 1, 2, 3.
Not for mine, Essendons drugs saga puts them firmly at number one. I think you’d be hard pressed to find many opposition supporters with positive things to say about that club.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Throw a blanket over Hawthorn, Essendon, and Carlton for me. Just picked one of them at random for this poll.

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I only hate clubs that are successful and relevant, so that rules North out from the get go. My hate for Carlton has decreased over the last decade. Their lack of success has generated some sympathy. I can't begrudge the tigers after so many decades in the wilderness, and who doesnt love that tiger roar and "yellow and black" cry after they win? And I actually respect the pies as a worthy foe. Hawks for me, so entitled.
Do you notice the irony here? Irrelevant yet mentioned ;) ;)

Back