Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - Thursday 21st March 7:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1412

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agree with JSOS, Samo, somewhat Daisy, but Jones... has to have some of the worst decision making in the AFL
Don't agree. I think his problem is when he commits early and the situation changes by a degree by the time the ball gets there. But his speed to read the ball and then to put in second efforts is excellent.

Me neither, but the spot is there for a small forward

There's every chance we'll go with another big bodied midfielder in Kennedy.

With Cuningham and Fasolo stationed down forward, we may not need a Gibbons/Polson type.

We'll also have Fisher, SPS, Dow, Murphy, Ed and maybe even Garlett resting forward at times.

There's every chance we'll go with another big bodied midfielder in Kennedy.

With Cuningham and Fasolo stationed down forward, we may not need a Gibbons/Polson type.

We'll also have Fisher, SPS, Dow, Murphy, Ed and maybe even Garlett resting forward at times.

Don't think we need another big bodied mid as much as we will need a forward than can pressure, is able kick a goal, and has the running power to get up and down the ground over and over and over throughout the game. That's Gibbo.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think we need another big bodied mid as much as we will need a forward than can pressure, is able kick a goal, and has the running power to get up and down the ground over and over and over throughout the game. That's Gibbo.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fasolo will hit the scoreboard. The other two mid/forwards will apply pressure.

Will be interesting to see what the selection panel decides.

That would be being honest, but we heard from our coaches already that they have been 'trying' to find small forwards.
What that means is that we haven't any and will somehow have to make do.
Not sure how we could have found ourselves in this spot. Were we really relying on LeBois to come up?

Guess things just fell that way...if SOS didn't think there were any good small forward pick ups at our picks then ill back him in. And not paying overs for Jack Lonie etc.

When looking at our build he's gone KPP's then mids...I would assert that small forward is seen as 'the last piece of the puzzle' and history shows you can pick one up with late picks easier than some other positions...and small forwards can't succeed if our midfield is below par anyway, which it has been until now.

Would have been nice to have picked up a good prospect in recent years, but now that the priority positions are taken care of i'm sure we'll get one via trade or draft end of 2019.

Yes but we need defensive pressure in F50 and that requires speed.

Structurally we need a few smaller, quick types to do this. Very important in the modern game.

JSOS is as quick and Gibbons and Polson.

Selection comes down to form for mine.

JSOS has shown his dedication to tackle and pressure opponents.

JSOS is as quick and Gibbons and Polson.

Selection comes down to form for mine.

JSOS has shown his dedication to tackle and pressure opponents.

I haven't seen Gibbons in full flight but JSOS is absolutely not as quick as Polson. And i doubt he's as quick as Gibbons.

I'm not denying JSOS tackles and pressures...i know he does.
Doesn't change the fact that we need some speedy smaller players to apply pressure in our F50 on opposition rebounding defenders.

You can play 6 tall blokes in the F50 and say 'yeah but they tackle and pressure'...doesn't make it a smart strategy, it's not enough. Need a mix of some smaller, speedy players for structure purposes.

I haven't seen Gibbons in full flight but JSOS is absolutely not as quick as Polson. And i doubt he's as quick as Gibbons.

I'm not denying JSOS tackles and pressures...i know he does.
Doesn't change the fact that we need some speedy smaller players to apply pressure in our F50 on opposition rebounding defenders.

You can play 6 tall blokes in the F50 and say 'yeah but they tackle and pressure'...doesn't make it a smart strategy, it's not enough. Need a mix of some smaller, speedy players for structure purposes.
Especially when JSos' tackle count was due to playing in the middle in a game played in poor conditions. Being in the middle always has elevated tackle and pressure counts in wet and scrappy games.

Open it up on a better quality ground against faster and higher quality opponents and put him in the forward line and I have doubts over whether he'd apply half the pressure Polson does. Not denying JSos' improvement or hunger for the contest. Just don't think he fits the team at the expense of a small forward/pressure player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back