Shorter pre-season and injuries???

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
The AFL’s commitment to restrain the use of the runner and a wish to shorten the pre-season activity to reduce injury were among the key topics in a feisty meeting between the coaches and the AFL hierarchy.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...over-runner-restrictions-20190314-p514c2.html

Don't quite understand how a shorter pre-season will reduce injuries?

I get it if the pre-season was really long and players were getting injured at the end of a long season, but that is not the case.

Injuries are always going to occur as the pace quickens as we move from intras, to practice matches/JLT and then the real stuff, and shortening the bruise free elements is surely not going to help.

I remember one of the Hawthorn medicos in an interview identifying that his injury concerns were always in the first month of competitive footy, as the bodies not used to the knocks and pressured changes in direction, were most likely to give way, particularly knees.

Can anyone explain why a shorter pre-season will reduce injuries for anything bar, yes, there will be less injuries in the JLT, they will just come in rounds 1 and 2 of the H&A instead?

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I have no idea what the AFL is on about. Soccer hardly as any preseason in most of Europe due to the length of their seasons an there are still plenty of injuries over there.

I mean sure, if your at home lying down on the couch you are less likely to do a hammy than if you are running but good luck when you do have to run.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I don’t know how Collingwood, Geelong, North, Melbourne, GWS and Sydney will recover from that extra game they played. All locks for bottom six now.

Oi how dare you forget that momentus game at the holden centre filmed by placing a go pro on one of the coaches foreheads in which we triumphed avenging the round 23 loss of 2017

Oi how dare you forget that momentus game at the holden centre filmed by placing a go pro on one of the coaches foreheads in which we triumphed avenging the round 23 loss of 2017
West Coast have their victory pack but I’m pretty happy with this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back