Dangerfield + Kerridge + 53 = Milera + Menzel + Gore - Discuss

Remove this Banner Ad

Chuck Danger into our 2017 side and we would have got a hell of a lot closer than we did, if not won it.

We were beaten in the midfield. We had no point of difference, no bull to go up against Martin, who would Richmond have tried to shut down, Sloane or Danger? No one to push forward and give us an option.

Do people forget Dangers 2017 form?

Martin had one of the most overrated games ever, he really got going when it was already game over in the 3rd. His first half was just okay, nothing special.

We lost because our defenders couldnt handle the occasion and our forwards were toweled by Rance, Grimes and co. Plus J.Riewoldt saved them from a terrible first quarter.

Martin had one of the most overrated games ever, he really got going when it was already game over in the 3rd. His first half was just okay, nothing special.

We lost because our defenders couldnt handle the occasion and our forwards were toweled by Rance, Grimes and co. Plus J.Riewoldt saved them from a terrible first quarter.
Yeah a gun midfielder wouldn’t have helped with either of those problems

Agree. And in 2016. Does Sloane's absence in the final round destroy our entire season if Danger is there? I'm as dirty about missing that premiership as I am about 2017. There's no way that the Dogs were better than us.

These things aren't really that out there as far as predictions go. No one with a modicum of sanity would melt down at the suggestion that adding the best player in the competition (or one of) to a team that nearly won the premiership may have seen them won it. That's quite obvious, and hasnt been challenged at all- demented claims that hypothetical are impermissible aside.

I agree with this.

If Danger was in our 2016 side we most probably would have finished top and more than likely made the grand final.

Personally I hope that Geelong never made a GF so that Danger can then spend the rest of his days lamenting the fact that he potentially missed out on winning a flag by leaving Adelaide.

So what we should be discussing is Milera + pick 17 (2016) which is the pick we should have had.

It ended up being used by Brisbane for Jarrod Berry...

I agree with this.

If Danger was in our 2016 side we most probably would have finished top and more than likely made the grand final.

Personally I hope that Geelong never made a GF so that Danger can then spend the rest of his days lamenting the fact that he potentially missed out on winning a flag by leaving Adelaide.

I don't hate him at all. But I agree. And he was on the team in 2016 we might have been 2nd or 3rd on the ladder and could have been the difference in the finals as we would have taken advantage of the double chance because we were a better team in 2016 than 2017. But Geelong is always a chance despite their poor finals record in recent years and they will almost certainly be a top 8 side in 2019.

I don't hate him at all. But I agree. And he was on the team in 2016 we might have been 2nd or 3rd on the ladder and could have been the difference in the finals as we would have taken advantage of the double chance because we were a better team in 2016 than 2017. But Geelong is always a chance despite their poor finals record in recent years and they will almost certainly be a top 8 side in 2019.

At the end of Round 22 in 2016 we were 2nd and only percentage away from being top. If we had Danger that season I am fairly confident that we would have finished first.

Geelong will continue to be around the mark because of their home ground advantage at Kardinia Park, but they don't have the squad to win a flag.

And not to mention Bachar Houli and Dion Prestia were both huge. They could have easily won the Norm Smith medal but Martin just inched ahead at the end.

I agree with this.

He wouldn't care. He is 100% focussed on himself - team success is irrelevant. As long as he keeps getting promoted and has his face on every broadcast he won't be fussed at all.

Look in the end Milera is a pretty handy replacement. But you can’t put aside the cost in terms of the time it takes to start again with another draft pick.

Also you have to factor in the risk in what a new pick brings v a known quantity.

We are blessed to have Hamish which reduces that risk.

He wouldn't care. He is 100% focussed on himself - team success is irrelevant. As long as he keeps getting promoted and has his face on every broadcast he won't be fussed at all.

I am not sure I agree, I have heard Danger sprout off numerous times that he would give anything to make a grand final and win a premiership.

I definitely think it is something he cares about.

Did we get a good deal in the trade - that is, was what we got adequate compensation for a player of Dangerfield's calibre? No. But that hardly ever happens in a situation like that.

Will we at least break even in the medium to long term? If Milera turns out to be a star, then we've traded maybe 3-5 years of Dangerfield for 10 years of Milera. Maybe that's actually a win.

Did losing Danger cost us a flag? It's a hypothetical, but IMO not a very convincing one. I remain unconvinced that Dangerfield would have made the difference in the 2017 GF - 2016 is an even longer bow. But regardless, no amount of compensation at the end of 2015 was going to make up for that. Dangerfield was going to leave. End. No combination of players or draft picks (within reason) was going to make up for that loss in the following 2 years, to the point of making the difference in winning a flag.

If Dangerfield losing cost us a flag (I don't accept that), then it was going to happen anyway. I don't think it's reasonable to use that as a measure when evaluating the trade.

With Dangerfield added to how we played in 2016 and 2017 we probably could've won at least one premiership - had he added to the team as opposed to upset the midfield balance. That is the unknown but I suspect he would've made the Crows a better team in those years.

If you forget possible past premierships and go from this point forwards - based on what Milera showed in the last half of last season and with an optimistic view that he can take that form to the midfield against what Dangerfield has produced at Geelong and an expectation that his career has only a few seasons left - I'm not unhappy with Milera for Dangerfield. Milera has all the attributes to becoming an extraordinary player, but time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we win a premiership with Milera, we'll be happy because we won a premiership. That doesn't mean that the value of assets are retrospectively increased at the point of their exchange.

If I trade a dollar for a 50 cent piece, then use that 50c piece to win a lottery, the first trade was still a bad one.

The problem with that analogy is that it assumes the club had a choice in the trade. Sure the club could've delayed and possibly finished up with a bit more coming back, however it ignores the fact Dangerfield was desperate to leave

or it could have ended up with a late first under RFA or nothing if he had gone in the draft

We were half forced into a corner, but had some bargaining power but only half the power, Gore was probably the wrong choice if we had grabbed another player who turned out ok we would be saying we won, bit of luck of the draw I see it as, but the situation wasn't ideal for the crows

or it could have ended up with a late first under RFA or nothing if he had gone in the draft

We were half forced into a corner, but had some bargaining power but only half the power, Gore was probably the wrong choice if we had grabbed another player who turned out ok we would be saying we won, bit of luck of the draw I see it as, but the situation wasn't ideal for the crows
Yep, not really an exact science.

Gore at the time was developing nicely and rated by Geelong.

Steven Wells has said on record that if pushed Geelong would've considered parting with 2 first round picks. Though that was over year post the trade and could've easily been Wells swinging his dick around about what a great deal Geelong negotiated.

Of course Geelong would have traded two first round picks if we asked, he was the best ******* player in the competition!

Noble s**t himself and we got reamed

When the Crows stated they would ask for the best deal possible for Danger, then literally had the deal done in the first 5 mins of trade week, for well unders, I was very surprised. Thought the club would have held out all trade week if the trade wasnt fair, threatening to match the deal. We s**t ourselves for some reason, and jumped at the first offer.... First trade made that week I think?
Danger himself even stated he wanted the Crows to get fair compensation.

When the Crows stated they would ask for the best deal possible for Danger, then literally had the deal done in the first 5 mins of trade week, for well unders, I was very surprised. Thought the club would have held out all trade week if the trade wasnt fair, threatening to match the deal. We s**t ourselves for some reason, and jumped at the first offer.... First trade made that week I think?
Danger himself even stated he wanted the Crows to get fair compensation.

IIRC Noble said they got it done early rather than holding out because they didn’t want it to hold up later trades

Not defending it just saying I think that was the stated reason. Can anyone elaborate on the later deals to see if this was worth doing?

And FFS people, all Southerntakeover did was say we would have won a flag with Danger. He’s not saying he knows for sure it would have happened, it’s just his opinion. Just say “I disagree because...” and have a discussion about it (as this last page has been) rather than starting a pointless fight about it

IIRC Noble said they got it done early rather than holding out because they didn’t want it to hold up later trades

Not defending it just saying I think that was the stated reason. Can anyone elaborate on the later deals to see if this was worth doing?

And FFS people, all Southerntakeover did was say we would have won a flag with Danger. He’s not saying he knows for sure it would have happened, it’s just his opinion. Just say “I disagree because...” and have a discussion about it (as this last page has been) rather than starting a pointless fight about it
He said that every year. Its a cop out.
The "other trades" were pick 28 from the Dangerfield trade + Kerridge for Troy Menzel - big deal.

How’s rehab going?

After this continued nonsensical meltdown I’m assuming you were checked in soon after? 😎
They tried to make me go to rehab
I said, no, no, no

Anyway, you can * off D\H, you're only a week late to this party

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back