Training Pre Season 18/19

Love it! Caddy to rile up defenders and Lynch to step in and rag doll them. That bit of campaigner all great teams need.

Surely we get Towner in for a few games just to break some bones

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
The Age article says most captains predict a Richmond v Collingwood GF.
Eight and five predicted respectively.
Can't allow Collingwood easy supply into the forward line next time. :shoutyoldman:

I was concerned about the pies all year last year - they matched up well on us and even though we beat them well both times, they by far, dealt with our pressure when we were on, the best, so it always concerned me.

Funnily enough, now that its out of the way and done, I hold no fears of the pies moving forward. We all know what they bring to the table, they are weak down back in terms of KPP's, so a second tall(Lynch) will stretch them. Rance and our defence wont allow Cox to run into that much space again and we found that Grimes was the better matchup for DeGoey in the second half. Beams and Elliot are both great players but I think they might actually upset the balance. You need the right amount of talent and soldiers - something the giants have struggled with. Pies will be up there but I cant wait to play them again and again and again

Anyone been to training this week? Hows Lynch looking? Caddy? George?

havent been to training but from what ive heard lynch is a full participant

a poster said in another thread that caddy said himself that rnd 3-4 he should be back

Nov 29, 2016
The Wall
AFL Club
Richmond
I was concerned about the pies all year last year - they matched up well on us and even though we beat them well both times, they by far, dealt with our pressure when we were on, the best, so it always concerned me.

Funnily enough, now that its out of the way and done, I hold no fears of the pies moving forward. We all know what they bring to the table, they are weak down back in terms of KPP's, so a second tall(Lynch) will stretch them. Rance and our defence wont allow Cox to run into that much space again and we found that Grimes was the better matchup for DeGoey in the second half. Beams and Elliot are both great players but I think they might actually upset the balance. You need the right amount of talent and soldiers - something the giants have struggled with. Pies will be up there but I cant wait to play them again and again and again
Grimes was the better matchup for DeGoey in the two games we beat them in, I assume Astbury being sick caused the the change in matchups that lead to the first half dominance their forward line had.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
The Age article says most captains predict a Richmond v Collingwood GF.
Eight and five predicted respectively.
Can't allow Collingwood easy supply into the forward line next time. :shoutyoldman:
Pies are going to need to defeat top teams during the home and away season to get top 4, something they didn't do in 2018 when they went 1-7 against top 8 teams, they are not getting Bris, freo, car and stk very 2nd week in 2019, they are going to get rich, dees eagles as well as raging flag faves Essendon ;) twice, if they go 1-5 or 0-6 against dees, eagles and us they will miss finals.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
Pies are going to need to defeat top teams during the home and away season to get top 4, something they didn't do in 2018 when they went 1-7 against top 8 teams, they are not getting Bris, freo, car and stk very 2nd week in 2019, they are going to get rich, dees eagles as well as raging flag faves Essendon ;) twice, if they go 1-5 or 0-6 against dees, eagles and us they will miss finals.

I think you're right. There draw is much more difficult this year so making the top four is no where near a given for them. For us, its not about doing anything different but instead just tweaking roles over the pre-season. I think Caddy and Grigg's injuries have actually come at an opportune time. Why I think both players are important to our structure, having to replace them with someone such as a Balta and/or Lynch, gives us a new look and possibly new strengths to our structure. I think Grigg gives us an additional midfielder around stoppages, Balta will force ruckmen to be accountable and he is also not a bystander when the ball hits the ground. Lynch is definitely an ungrade to Caddy in the forward line but don't discount his smarts in the F50, that brings the ball to ground and creates space for our other forwards. He hasn't the aerial ability of Lynch but is still a talented forward.

The new rules force us to experiment regardless but if you don't continue to evolve you don't succeed. Its about keeping the opposition guessing so the more set ups and variances we have to out set ups and game plan, the better...

...plus it keeps Collinwood scouts in a job too, copying our ever move :p

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Grimes was the better matchup for DeGoey in the two games we beat them in, I assume Astbury being sick caused the the change in matchups that lead to the first half dominance their forward line had.
Grimesy was always the perfect match up on DeGoey because of his speed out of the blocks and ability to maintain touch on an opponent. Give DeGoey any room and he’ll cut to pieces unfortunately it took us a while to get that match up right in the prelim

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I remember seeing a video of Carlisle trying to hit Lynch in the GCS days and he retaliated, gave back even more.
Imagine to see Lynch run through a Collingwood defender!
Why bother.They don't have any worthy to run through.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Once again the media are sloppy at best when it comes to us.AFL.com this time.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-13/crystal-ball-aflcomaus-2019-season-predictions

1552699218671.png
Before the above(edited)they had a pic of 2 supporters in regards to have more than 100K members.
The problem was they were dressed in Brown & Gold.:sick:

Back