JLT-2 Crows v GWS - Post Match Thoughts

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I do believe we are competitive and will continue to be competitive and dont strive to be like west coast, hawthorn, geelong

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
You do believe that but your pigheadness over not selecting Burton has caused you to believe that.

You continue to ignore that we have lost 5 quality picks, something these clubs haven’t had to endure.
You continue to ignore that we continue to lose quality players, something besides Buddy these clubs haven’t had to endure.

Instead you blame the guy who didn’t draft Burton and you continue to back in senior players who played during these competitive years. That’s why people question if you are serious or trolling, because your opinion is absurd and repeating and repeating it makes people think you are trolling.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would we be closer to winning the flag with 5 quality picks and players we’ve lost?

West Coast have managed to stay extremely successful in losing players like Judd, Cousins , Gardiner.

Im not comparing the crows to Carlton or St Kilda they are shite, don't you want to compare them to the bench mark of the comp, being West Coast , Hawthorn or Geelong

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You do believe that but your pigheadness over not selecting Burton has caused you to believe that.

You continue to ignore that we have lost 5 quality picks, something these clubs haven’t had to endure.
You continue to ignore that we continue to lose quality players, something besides Buddy these clubs haven’t had to endure.

Instead you blame the guy who didn’t draft Burton and you continue to back in senior players who played during these competitive years. That’s why people question if you are serious or trolling, because your opinion is absurd and repeating and repeating it makes people think you are trolling.

The club and most of its supporters are quite comfortable with being competitive, you know that our window has been shut in our face, our elite stars like Jacobs, Tex, Betts are on the decline and we haven't drafted or traded replacements for such important talent but we have drafted ok players to keep us punching at the 8

Stop being so dellusional, I know you will come back with but we lost picks and we lost players, who gives a toss deal with it it will be interesting to see how Essendon bounces back after what they have been through, they cheated like we did remember

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
West Coast have managed to stay extremely successful in losing players like Judd, Cousins , Gardiner.

Im not comparing the crows to Carlton or St Kilda they are shite, don't you want to compare them to the bench mark of the comp, being West Coast , Hawthorn or Geelong
They got Kennedy for Judd and players retire after a career.

I’m talking about losing 5 high draft picks for their careers plus a continual stream of quality players in their prime.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The club and most of its supporters are quite comfortable with being competitive, you know that our window has been shut in our face, our elite stars like Jacobs, Tex, Betts are on the decline and we haven't drafted or traded replacements for such important talent but we have drafted ok players to keep us punching at the 8

Stop being so dellusional, I know you will come back with but we lost picks and we lost players, who gives a toss deal with it it will be interesting to see how Essendon bounces back after what they have been through, they cheated like we did remember
Seriously I know you are not an idiot but on this you are a ******* idiot.

You can’t talk about our lack of drafting quality players and then totally dismiss the quality picks and players we’ve lost. It’s an absolute nonsense to.

Then there is the issue of what you qualify as ok players. You are the only person on the planet who doesn’t rate Doedee, that disqualifies you from assessing talent.

As for happy being competitive that’s you. You support the continued senior players like Douglas and Mackay who are nothing but competitive.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seriously I know you are not an idiot but on this you are a ******* idiot.

You can’t talk about our lack of drafting quality players and then totally dismiss the quality picks and players we’ve lost. It’s an absolute nonsense to.

Then there is the issue of what you qualify as ok players. You are the only person on the planet who doesn’t rate Doedee, that disqualifies you from assessing talent.

As for happy being competitive that’s you. You support the continued senior players like Douglas and Mackay who are nothing but competitive.

I didn't support anything, Pyke got the team right in 2017 to almost take the prize if it wasn't for his best players failing to rock up with their best on the day when it counted we would have won it, was the list right for that day obviously not, we lost

Pyke makes the call on mature players like MACKAY, DOUGLAS, TEX,SAUCE,,BETTS, GIBBS if he believes he has a chance this year he aint going to do it with replacing those with 1ST year players or rookies like mcadam that's why he gets the big bucks. Has he got the list to do it, or is he making do with what he has. Saying that every player is different some have bodys that continue to go on and on, douglas has been relatively resilient where tex has shown signs of wear, who knows. A lot on here would have no idea on what its like to train and how your body feels after a gruelling week, as most are couch potatoes, and as you get older it gets harder for some you don't bounce back but some people do and they never show signs of fatigue.

you have these opinions like everyone and that's all mine and yours are, logic would say you aren't going to get a great deal out of jones early on in his career like what Galluci, Milera and Fog delivered in their first year, that's not a dig just reality, what you hope for is in their 3rd or 4th year something is coming together, is it beneficial to play say Jones against a hardened AFL player or develop in the SANFL like Tex did or even your mate Doedee

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I didn't support anything, Pyke got the team right in 2017 to almost take the prize if it wasn't for his best players failing to rock up with their best on the day when it counted we would have won it, was the list right for that day obviously not, we lost

Pyke makes the call on mature players like MACKAY, DOUGLAS, TEX,SAUCE,,BETTS, GIBBS if he believes he has a chance this year he aint going to do it with replacing those with 1ST year players or rookies like mcadam that's why he gets the big bucks. Has he got the list to do it, or is he making do with what he has. Saying that every player is different some have bodys that continue to go on and on, douglas has been relatively resilient where tex has shown signs of wear, who knows. A lot on here would have no idea on what its like to train and how your body feels after a gruelling week, as most are couch potatoes, and as you get older it gets harder for some you don't bounce back but some people do and they never show signs of fatigue.

you have these opinions like everyone and that's all mine and yours are, logic would say you aren't going to get a great deal out of jones early on in his career like what Galluci, Milera and Fog delivered in their first year, that's not a dig just reality, what you hope for is in their 3rd or 4th year something is coming together, is it beneficial to play say Jones against a hardened AFL player or develop in the SANFL like Tex did or even your mate Doedee
Look at the first year players and rookies that West Coast and Collingwood had in their side last year. The players we brought in will be more than capable of delivering if managed correctly. It's not going to be on Douglas, Mackay and co if they're not up to it.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Look at the first year players and rookies that West Coast and Collingwood had in their side last year. The players we brought in will be more than capable of delivering if managed correctly. It's not going to be on Douglas, Mackay and co if they're not up to it.

Oh you know how these guys are going to perform, I shouldn't question that its only an opinion as is mine, Galluci, Fog, Milera, Doedee, Pohlkoke, Mcrouch, Bcrouch, Sloane , Tex, Smith, Betts, Seedsman how did all of those players perform in their first year after being drafted

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

It’s ironic you mentioned 3rd or 4th year, those 5 high picks would have been 4th and 5th years in 2017, we might have won and you would have had to change your argument to something else after we didn’t draft Burton.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I do believe we are competitive and will continue to be competitive and dont strive to be like west coast, hawthorn, geelong

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
How do you know we dont stive to be like those three clubs?

Our form line is very similar to WCE. We had chances in 1993 97/98 2005/06 2012 and now 2016 onwards to win a flag. Making Prelims in each era. A club that does not strive to win a flag does not play Prelims in such routine/cyclical fashion. WCE also have a similar pattern over their history. You could argue they took their chances and we didn't. But you have not.

Geelong went decades without success. They were seen as a bit of a joke in that regard. Close but never getting there. Then through some good draft picks and Father/Son luck (and maybe some not so legal supplements) they had a good period. Good luck to them, they earnt it. But I will now go on record and say it will be a decade or two before they win another flag. They had a great five year period where everything went right that they will never see again.

Hawthorn. In my opinion the best ran club in the league. They have had regular success in modern footy, not just one era. They were also nearly bankrupt in the early 2000s and have worked hard to have the success they enjoyed a few years ago. Yes being based at the MCG helps. However Hawthorn are the club I most admire (apart from us) in how ruthless they are in chasing success. Hence you have to wonder why they offloaded Burton. But we know you wont ponder that question.....

Yes I do agree with you somewhat. We should strive to be like Hawthorn, as a club ethos in chasing success we are on par with WCE (albeit they have taken more chances than us) and no way do I want our club to be like Geelong.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
How do you know we dont stive to be like those three clubs?

Our form line is very similar to WCE. We had chances in 1993 97/98 2005/06 2012 and now 2016 onwards to win a flag. Making Prelims in each era. A club that does not strive to win a flag does not play Prelims in such routine/cyclical fashion. WCE also have a similar pattern over their history. You could argue they took their chances and we didn't. But you have not.

Geelong went decades without success. They were seen as a bit of a joke 8n that regard. Close but never getting there. Then through some good draft picks and Father/Son luck (and maybe some not so legal supplements) they had a good period. Good luck to them they earnt it. But I will now go on record and say it will be a decade or two before they win another flag. They had a great five year period where everything went right that they will never see again.

Hawthorn. In my opinion the best ran club in the league. They have had regular success in modern footy, not just one era. They were also nearly bankrupt in the early 2000s and have worked hard to have the success they enjoyed a few years ago. Yes being based at the MCG helps. However Hawthorn are the club I most admire (apart from us) in how ruthless they are in chasing success. Hence you have to wonder why offloaded Burton. But we know you wont ponder that question.....

Yes I do agree with you somewhat. We should strive to be like Hawthorn, as a club ethos in chasing success we are on par with WCE (albeit they have taken more chances than us) and no way do I want our club to be like Geelong.

On par with West Coast??????????? Seriously

West Coast are clearly the best of the best, they haven't had the concessions like the hawks, both on and off field with premiership success coming at a consistent level, if there is one club I would strive to be like its clearly them.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

West Coast are clearly the best of the best, they haven't had the concessions like the hawks, both on and off field with premiership success coming at a consistent level, if there is one club I would strive to be like its clearly them.
Did you read what I wrote?

Both our clubs routinely make Prelims and Premiership contention. WCE took their chances. But both clubs strive (your word) to win flags and the results suggest that.

I should admit I was a Hawthorn fan before the Crows (I was only 12 when the Crows came in) and my Godparents (introduced me to Hawthorn and took me to the 89 and 91 GFs) still quite active in the club. So have had a bit of an insight at how hard they have worked to go from bankruptcy to the massive club they are now.

Most Vic clubs have had the help and draft picks Hawthorn have had. But Hawthorn did the work to make it work.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
When you think about it we are four games of Footy shy of being "as good" as WCE and Hawthorn in terms of success.

2005/06 Prelims. Win one or two of these and play our bunny in Sydney on GF day.
2012 Should have beaten Hawthorn. Yes the Swans won the QF but that was a very bad game by us. We beat them at the SCG that year
2017. I put that loss on the players. Been told by a person at the club a lot of our guys had the game won before the bounce and took Richmond lightly. A big aspect of The Camp was teaching the players humility and respect for opposition.

These games go our way and we are as successful as Hawthorn and WCE in the modern era.

We are certainly a club that strives for success....

But we have failed in taking our chances. That is a different argument.

I didnt include 1993. As I reckon if we won that flag the ruthless decisions made in 1996 would not have happened and not sure a club culture built on Andrew Jarman, McGuiness, McDermott and Graham Cornes winning an AFL flag is that good.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
When you think about it we are four games of Footy shy of being "as good" as WCE and Hawthorn in terms of success.

2005/06 Prelims. Win one or two of these and play our bunny in Sydney on GF day.
2012 Should have beaten Hawthorn. Yes the Swans won the QF but that was a very bad game by us. We beat them at the SCG that year
2017. I put that loss on the players. Been told by a person at the club a lot of our guys had the game won before the bounce and took Richmond lightly. A big aspect of The Camp was teaching the players humility and respect for opposition.

These games go our way and we are as successful as Hawthorn and WCE in the modern era.

I didnt include 1993. As I reckon if we won that flag the ruthless decisions made in 1996 would not have happened and not sure a club culture built on Andrew Jarman, McGuiness, McDermott and Graham Cornes winning an AFL flag is that good.

Really

Success is measured on premierships not what ifs, seconds or what ever

PREMIERSHIPS = Success

2016 was another wasted opportunity.

Selection blunder in R1 vs North Melbourne
Sloane and Smith missing the R23 game
Continuing to play injured players (Jenkins, Talia, Brown and Jacobs) even to the detriment of the team.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

So the Hawks has concessions, have we?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Hawthorn. In my opinion the best ran club in the league. They have had regular success in modern footy, not just one era. They were also nearly bankrupt in the early 2000s and have worked hard to have the success they enjoyed a few years ago. Yes being based at the MCG helps. However Hawthorn are the club I most admire (apart from us) in how ruthless they are in chasing success. Hence you have to wonder why they offloaded Burton. But we know you wont ponder that question.....
Wasn't Burton working at Brisbane?

PS. Agree with you about Hawthorn being the competition's best run team.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Really

Success is measured on premierships not what ifs, seconds or what ever

PREMIERSHIPS = Success
We do strive for that success....and have failed.

I think you need to look up the meaning of the word strive.

I get it. You are not happy we have not won a flag since 1998. None of us are. But to suggest our club does not strive (your word) to win flags is a fallacy.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wasn't Burton working at Brisbane?

PS. Agree with you about Hawthorn being the competition's best run team.
Marty's favourite player. Ryan Burton.

Hawthorn forced him out of their club for Wingard. Port didn't even ask for him. Clarko offered him up straight off the bat Makes you wonder why.....

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We do strive for that success....and have failed.

I think you need to look up the meaning of the word strive.

I get it. You are not happy we have not won a flag since 1998. None of us are. But to suggest our club does not strive (your word) to win flags is a fallacy.

Very True

I guess we are just making wrong choices which cause us to fail

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Marty's favourite player. Ryan Burton.

Hawthorn forced him out of their club for Wingard. Port didn't even ask for him. Ckarko offered him up straight off the bat Makes you wonder why.....
Of course... I was thinking of Brett.

I have Marty on ignore, which is probably why I was confused.

Back