Cummins Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure but thinking that Cummins is a bit inflated for the group that he is in.. they are all a bit inflationary and they all
need to catch a bit of history with all this.. Read a bit about the previous history and you will know the lengths that the
others have gone to get where 'you' are...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big fan of Cummins but that seems a bit excessively high to me.

Would love to know how they get to that figure.
Probably due to the fact he's performed everywhere and taken a bucketload of wickets with plenty of them on lifeless decks in the last 12 months.
Players are rated on their relative performance to others in the game so I'd imagine he gets plenty of points for the India series for example.

Probably due to the fact he's performed everywhere and taken a bucketload of wickets with plenty of them on lifeless decks in the last 12 months.
Players are rated on their relative performance to others in the game so I'd imagine he gets plenty of points for the India series for example.
Yep I remember reading something about relativity to other performances in the match they played, which would account for a lot.

It's interesting that a number of the West Indies great bowlers are lower than you would expect... Are they punished too much for having such good performers around them?

Yep I remember reading something about relativity to other performances in the match they played, which would account for a lot.

It's interesting that a number of the West Indies great bowlers are lower than you would expect... Are they punished too much for having such good performers around them?
Quite likely although I remember Ponting having a very high max rating

Currently has the fifth highest ICC bowling peak ranking of all time, on level pegging with McGrath circa 2001 and behind only Lohmann, Barnes, Imran and Murali.

Amazing! It's funny because for the first time this ridiculous thread title actually has some relevance haha i.e. he is nowhere near top 5 all time (yet).

But just goes to show how consistently good he has been since debut. Now that he has reached 100 wickets there is no handbrake on his ranking, and certainly bowlers who have little competition for wickets benefit (see Murali). He also gets highly rated batsmen out a lot which helps his ranking.

Amazing! It's funny because for the first time this ridiculous thread title actually has some relevance haha i.e. he is nowhere near top 5 all time (yet).

But just goes to show how consistently good he has been since debut. Now that he has reached 100 wickets there is no handbrake on his ranking, and certainly bowlers who have little competition for wickets benefit (see Murali). He also gets highly rated batsmen out a lot which helps his ranking.
It's not saying he's the 5th best ever. It's saying the last year or however long the ranking period is for is amongst the best years any bowlers have had, given the conditions, which doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

It's not saying he's the 5th best ever. It's saying the last year or however long the ranking period is for is amongst the best years any bowlers have had, given the conditions, which doesn't seem unreasonable at all.
It actually does take the player's whole career into account, but it is weighted towards recent performances. You can't just get up to high 800s rating after a decent year. As a best ever rating I think it offers a good balance between rating players at their 'peak' and judging their body of work.

Injury permitting will go down as one of the all time greats. Handy with the bat too. Don't really see him much in the field for some reason.

Big fan of Cummins but that seems a bit excessively high to me.

Would love to know how they get to that figure.
I stole this from reddit but this goes to show just how unbelievable he has been

Since his return in 2017 he's averaged:

30 with 8 wickets in India

29 with 6 wickets in Bangladesh

24 with 23 wickets against England

21 with 22 wickets in South Africa

27 with 22 wickets against India

7 with 22 wickets against Sri Lanka (not a typo)

14 with 16 wickets in England.

Those averages are insane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back