Status
Not open for further replies.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Carlton have released a five year plan to take them back to the top, called the Carlton Way (no, it doesn’t involve the Blues poaching top-flight WAFL and SANFL talent, and brown paper bags).

It is remarkably similar to what Richmond released in 2010 (3-0-75,000), which is not to be unexpected with Cain Liddle (ex-Richmond) as CEO. Richmond didn’t quite achieve 3-0-75,000, but the plan no doubt set the club up for what has happened since the start of 2017.

By 2023 Carlton want to achieve:
- 100,000 members
- AFL and AFLW premierships
- eliminate debt
- reap $75,000,000 in revenue
- complete their master plan for Ikon Park.

Is it possible? Possibly. I think the hardest part will be the premierships.

More details here: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...f-carlton-have-their-way-20190314-p514b2.html

Definitely flags would be the hardest... just because a team is in its window dosent gaureentee any success

I also find the 100k members one interesting especially since they have marvel as a home ground with a only room for 53k

Witch a membership base of 100k you would want a game day ave or 60k plus imo

Good luck to them.

I think it's ultimately to the detriment if the game to have the Blues struggling long term. I've never been a Vic resident and lack the rivalry thing. I think the Tigers flag actually grew the the size if the AFL. The next Blues or Bombers flag will too, it's been a while for both.

The big interstate Clubs like the Eagles and Crows are a bit different. Their supporters are so rusted on it will always be ground capacity that limits them.

Ambitious, but that is where it starts. I like it.

Better to aim high than accept mediocrity because a club that’s been through a lean period like Carlton and Richmond in the 2010 era need high targets that will spur them on.

The 100K one gets me thinking though. How hard would it be to get a ticket to a Carlton home game at Marvel Stadium when there are so many members?

Ambitious, but that is where it starts. I like it.

Better to aim high than accept mediocrity because a club that’s been through a lean period like Carlton and Richmond in the 2010 era need high targets that will spur them on.

The 100K one gets me thinking though. How hard would it be to get a ticket to a Carlton home game at Marvel Stadium when there are so many members?

I suspect where the club want to get to is to play the majority of their home games at the MCG. Perhaps a 9-2 split. Even 8-3, and we could play GWS, Suns and Port/Freo at Marvel Stadium.

when a side starts a rebuild in 2015 it should be in or around the premiership window 5 years later. melbourne started their rebuild in 2013 and played finals in 2018. they're considered one of the flag favourites this year and they started further back than us. it's not as ambitious as it sounds.

Internally these are exactly the goals the club should have, but going public with it is a mistake. we need to manage our expectations publicly to minimize the pressure on the coaches and players.

when a side starts a rebuild in 2015 it should be in or around the premiership window 5 years later. melbourne started their rebuild in 2013 and played finals in 2018. they're considered one of the flag favourites this year and they started further back than us. it's not as ambitious as it sounds.

Internally these are exactly the goals the club should have, but going public with it is a mistake. we need to manage our expectations publicly to minimize the pressure on the coaches and players.

I'm fine with sharing it with the members, helps to communicate what admin is trying to achieve. Media inevitably picks up on it, which can create a talking point, but there is nothing outrageous in the goals stated.

Good luck to them.

I think it's ultimately to the detriment if the game to have the Blues struggling long term. I've never been a Vic resident and lack the rivalry thing. I think the Tigers flag actually grew the the size if the AFL. The next Blues or Bombers flag will too, it's been a while for both.

The big interstate Clubs like the Eagles and Crows are a bit different. Their supporters are so rusted on it will always be ground capacity that limits them.

No one wants to see The Crows win a flag (awful fans, awful state)

Not unfeasible to suggest Carlton will win a flag before Adelaide, there is this arrogant and hubris attitude to Don Pyke's regime (which I never felt under Phil Walsh tbh)

Least the footy club has ambitions and trying to get itself out of the bottom 4 (really not a fan of the trade night Liam Stocker trade, but at least we won't be accused of tanking this season)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s gonna be hard for them to make the goals, and it’s real easy for me to take the piss.
But aspirational goals like this are exactly what my club needed to get itself off the bottom.
We only met 1 of our 3 main goals but you’d have a hard time telling anyone that the progress made in those years is why we are in our current position. Probably the biggest part of that was redeveloping PRO and getting rid of our debt.
If Carlton can eliminate their debt, redevelop Princes Park, and make decent inroads into the other goals, it will be a resounding success. Winning a premiership is a steeper goal than our 3 finals in 5 years and we even failed that. And they’re probably going to need a flag to push 100k members. But if the club putting it on the line and making such goals public manages to kick it into action, they will be a success even if they don’t achieve the goals themselves.

Practically everyone mocked Richmond's 2010 blueprint (which this is presumably based on via Cain Liddle), so I expect no less here.
Winning a premiership is a steeper goal than our 3 finals in 5 years and we even failed that.
Carlton is further advanced than Richmond was, having completed Silvagni's 66-game rebuild. Richmond was at ground zero after shedding more than 40% of its 2009 list experience, with five of its remaining eight most senior players (Cousins, Simmonds, McMahon, Polak, Tambling, representing a further ~25%) coming to the end.

Last edited:
Wonder if it'll go as well as the blue print which they released this time in 2011.
I am sure that worked out well. Knowing this thread, it will be bumped in 2023 when Carlton are still struggling.

I don't see a carlton flag by 2023 though.

Yeah we couldn't have been much worse off at the end of 2013 an look at us now. The last team we picked in 13 would lose by 6 goals to the blues 2018 team so I can't see any issue with it.

Any club with the right structure should be able to see tangible improvement from any point in 3 years.

I presume Carlton will be encouraging all fans to get a pet to help them along to 100k.

Nice attempt by OP to make the thread about Richmond.

I would have thought their 5 year plan would involve just getting out of the bottom 2. I guess ambition and delusion cost nothing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back